The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I think Neil and Gruff might like to have a look at this older thread of mine which I just found anew: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42557-i-must-down-to-the-seas-again-to-the-lonely-sea-and-the-sky/

I needed to do a bit of editing as I found some images had gone missing and several characters replaced with cryptic garbage, possibly during one of the forum software updates.

• Like 1

I think Neil and Gruff might like to have a look at this older thread of mine which I just found anew: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42557-i-must-down-to-the-seas-again-to-the-lonely-sea-and-the-sky/

I needed to do a bit of editing as I found some images had gone missing and several characters replaced with cryptic garbage, possibly during one of the forum software updates.

You have some very nice photos there and thanks for refreshing the link. I read somewhere that the Costco boats paid for their construction after their second trip, not a bad return on capital invested!

Gruffalo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You have some very nice photos there and thanks for refreshing the link. I read somewhere that the Costco boats paid for their construction after their second trip, not a bad return on capital invested!

Gruffalo

Thanks! I figure those ships cannot at all be cheap, so that would be rather something...

• RMweb Gold

Ah, now something has reminded me that two of us on ERs probably did come across each other at some time on the railway - but does he know who he is and where it was (if I've got the dates about right)?

?????

Well, it's not me - unless Mike was on the same ferry as me to the Hook where we shared a table in the bar with  Eire's "Cultural Attache" to Denmark - and got so drunk no one could drive the car off the Ferry and the crew had to push it off to one side.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think we will get it next Neil just been reading yours and Debs posts.6.00 this morning it was glorious.Still I'm going home for the weekend so I hope weather is better up there. hopefully I'll get mother out for a run might even go to sand dancer land for fish and chips (proper ones mind) then later get my big sister down Ocean Rd for a proper stonking curry

simon

Ocean Road is one thing I really miss about South Shields!

edit for speelink

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ocean Road is one thing I really miss about South Shields!

edit for speelink

When I stopped up there sometime ago while doing some safety assessment stuff at Tyne Dock I seriously wondered if the sun ever rose over South Shields - seemed to be in perpetual darkness.

• RMweb Premium

Damn - pictures all blocked at work.  :-(

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

When I stopped up there sometime ago while doing some safety assessment stuff at Tyne Dock I seriously wondered if the sun ever rose over South Shields - seemed to be in perpetual darkness.

Fog, usually.  On the Tyne.  There's a song in there somewhere.... :jester:

It's not that bad a place actually, but I don't miss the weather.  Or the fog. :no:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

1216025 are you having a bank holiday ................ being retired I do lose track of them.

Don

Ok, ok, you don't have to rub it in. :D

Still I'm going home for the weekend so I hope weather is better up there.

Not at the moment it ain't.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, ok, you don't have to rub it in. :D

I do feel rather lucky firstly to have been offered the chance of early retirement and secondly that Marion accepted a reduced standard of living. Marion is unusual in not being particularly interested in shopping.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do feel rather lucky firstly to have been offered the chance of early retirement and secondly that Marion accepted a reduced standard of living. Marion is unusual in not being particularly interested in shopping.

Don

Yes, fortunately Mrs Stationmaster is of that non-shopping ilk (although she does like handbags and books) so retiring early from full time work wasn't a big financial headache.

• RMweb Gold

Another early retiree here with a non-shopping Mrs GB although she has continued working 4 mornings a week. Apparently she's not sure whether we'd  I'd survive if she had to spend all her time at home with me!  :blackeye:  :threaten:  :girldevil:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening. chimney was swept today with no problems ie no mess in the room which kept the other member of the household happy.

I wonder what the ratio of workers to retirees is on this thread?

I'm having no regrets (apart from this bl***y garden project which in fairness is nearly complete) at all in taking early retirement, indeed irrespective of income so far we are spending less than we did but then we aren't contributing to the daily income of Costa and other establishments of a similar ilk to which I was very easily drawn :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope they'll then be even more agreeable to look at home tonight!

Indeed they are!    Those container vessels have gotten very large, as long as the bulk carriers I sailed on, but not as wide by half - they need much more speed to be profitable.

The Heligoland shots are very interesting too.  Thanks for posting, they're all very good shots.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

6 years to retirement age for civil servants here, but not likely to be able to go then (60) as we will still have a mortgage of some size.  63 maybe, 65 likely!  trouble is I won't get me state pension until I'm 66, Mrs NHN is 5 years younger so won't get hers until she is 67, and I'll be 72 then.  Both my parents died at 76.....doesn't bode well for a long happy retirement, does it?  The truth is, I don't know if our generation and younger will ever get to retire fully.

• RMweb Gold

My working life was ended in 2000 for health reasons but once past 60 I started getting my Teachers Pension. Aditi got a pension statement today as she will be 60 in six months but I'm fairly certain she isn't planning to retire. Possibly as Matthew may need funding for a few more years, his plans don't seem to include remunerated employment! 

I don't think many people at Aditi's work realise that she is 59 1/2. I think she secretly enjoys the idea of the retirement option if anyone really annoys her. As she started teaching in 1975 her pension will be substantially larger than mine so I shall have to continue being useful round the house to earn my keep!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can recall feeling very happy when I reached the age that meant I was eligible for early retirement., being in the zone as I christened it meant one had another option up ones sleeve, just a case of sorting the finances out in order to exercise that option and as and when I wanted!