The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Grey in Leeds with rain at some point today but who cares! Cracking 20-20 cricket game last night between Leeds Uni and Leeds in memory of one of the players who died in his sleep  late last year - Hopefully the charity involved will have received a big donation from all who attended.

Might take some wagons to weather down at the Leeds Club rooms tonight - anyone else got a club room in a Grade 1 Listed Building Site??  - google Temple Works in Leeds for info,

Feel the urge to do more water colour painting. I've been sitting staring at my Les Paul in our den for three weeks and have not picked it up once. Despite it  looking and sounding better than ever at over 30 years old;  I'm mystified still.

Best, Pete.

Pete why have you got Les Paul in your den? He wont do anything unless you feed him and I think the tomatoes may take a long time to grow and ripen (grabs coat and runs for the door....)     My wife used to work for a company who imported, among other things, Gibson guitars into the UK. B B King visited once and she had to look after "Lucille" for a while - it was insured for a lot of money at the time.

Off to collect my car "no fault found but we are certain its OK now....."

• RMweb Gold

I've decided that I seriously dislike Model Engineering's products.

Is that Micro Engineering, by any chance? Not sure they sell bridges any more, so perhaps they had the same response from other purchasers!

Overnight rain, albeit not much, but very glad I did another mow last evening.

Armistice Day here, so not much movement. Then tomorrow is Ascension Day, so another nil-return. So Friday will be a "pont" day for many. France won't have had a very productive week, really!

• RMweb Gold

I too thought DD's photo was Conwy but assumed he was teasing.

Andy. I think I was more concerned at Matthew's being away at "Activity Centres" at primary school than I have been with his subsequent travels. He however survived and returned home with two tiny souvenir Teddy Bears for his Mum. Aditi asked why he had bought two he said that he would have had some money left over otherwise. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Off to collect my car "no fault found but we are certain its OK now....."

Every few months our Clio has an engine management fault (ERR Code not specified etc). The first time the garage found it they said I could reset it as it would be cheaper than the main dealer solution of trying a new engine management unit (£800 !). How do I reset it, disconnect battery, wait a few minutes, re-connect battery. Having to re-program the radio is the most time consuming bit, the Sony unit doesn't have a memory backup.

Gas-man has been. This one did a proper service, not just a meter in the flue.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Definitely not my bridge so it must be Conwy, as this Google page would seem to prove -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=conwy+suspension+bridge&client=safari&hl=en&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sxiKUd39J4e20QXh6oH4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1299&bih=970

At least it looks nice & sunny in that pic which is more than can be said for our weather today - but then the garden needs the rain and it does look as if the weeds are responding heartily to it.  Vacuum cleaning is being demanded for today but with luck I shall be excused on account of my back although I do have to take herself over to Tilehurst for her tooth implanting session, the culmination of what feels like a year of preparation although it means the end of visits to the dentist in Farnham (handy for Alton) as well.

Have a good day one & all.

• RMweb Premium

Is that Micro Engineering, by any chance? Not sure they sell bridges any more, so perhaps they had the same response from other purchasers!

Armistice Day here, so not much movement. Then tomorrow is Ascension Day, so another nil-return. So Friday will be a "pont" day for many. France won't have had a very productive week, really!

Oh eck, I've got a ME bridge in an un-opened box - maybe I should e bay it!

• RMweb Gold

Tony if it wasn't for your Dad working there that post is ripe for a million jokes....

So I desist in respect for your Dad.

Best, Pete.

He took the job on the night shift at Lucas a few years before he retired. I think he was fed up at his old job of having lots of responsibility,  inadequate pay and having to work with people who were well qualified but couldn't do the job. I'm sure Dad wouldn't have minded any jokes. I'm sure my cousin's husband wouldn't mind either. He was a director at Lucas. He drove a Mercedes though!

• RMweb Gold

Oh eck, I've got a ME bridge in an un-opened box - maybe I should e bay it!

The EDM newsletter mentioned that ME are having to repair their HOn3 moulding dies. Peco product also available now though in that scale.

Was going to start a 'Workbench' thread but it tells me I can't start a new topic.

Don't know why.

You're not missing much yet.

Just a photographic blow by blow commentary on converting cardboard tubes to plastic Castle towers.

I want to make a backdrop for the Airfix Marching Band which is winging its way from the States as I write.

However, it may be the start of something BIG.

Stupid autocorrect. Yes, Micro Engineering. All of their bridge and viaduct kits are still shown as current on their website. Then again their copyright date on the site is 4 years old. Who knows what is happening.

"a penchant for silk underwear"

I have one of those - but not for wearing it.

Agree, My preference is for translucent white....

Going back to "ennui". I first came across this word in a novel when I was 14 or so. I had no ides of its' French origin. My family never used the word - nor did anyone else in Essex, apparently.

So, I pronounced it as if it was English as "EN-YOU-EYE" then someone (years later) explained to me it was, in fact, French and should be pronounced "ON-YOU- EE". Later someone then advised me that it was: "ON-WEE" - of course since then I've heard it pronounced all three ways - the first version used by an English Professor who said it was the "English derivative".

So I dunno...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Well, another morning at school done, so I'm now sat on the balcony once again to catch some rest. Bank holiday tomorrow, so needed to make purchases for two days.

The EDM newsletter mentioned that ME are having to repair their HOn3 moulding dies. Peco product also available now though in that scale.

What is EDM, Tony?

The best thing about ME is the variety of rail they make...though I hate the "straw" colour.

Best, Pete

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

So, I pronounced it...

When I was at high school down in deepest, darkest Shoeburyness we had an English teacher who was obviously streets ahead of us he'd studied at Oxford university. 

One day he came across a word in a text which had us all baffled.... "A-lee-bee", as he pronounced it. "Come on you lot, what does 'A-lee-bee' mean?" enquired the teacher. Blank looks all round. 

Well, we finally managed to sort things out once we realised that we'd been mispronouncing it "Al-i-bi" for years. Not that we'd had much use for the word, all being law-abiding youngsters. Well, I say "law abiding", if you don't count the time, as a 9 year old, I was caught riding my 13"-wheeled bike on the pavement, that is! Name taken by local bobby and a letter to the headmaster of our junior school. 

Andy

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You probably made that copper's day, Andy!

Best, Pete.

If only he knew that 40 years later I now stop my own daughter riding on the pavement now that she's graduated to a 13" wheeled-bike.  :keeporder:

Bet NHN would love that concept! 

Andy

"I wonder if Don's problem with the internet is a temporary power supply drain when everybody is cooking breakfast/showering etc.,?"

If that is a possible reason then it does make sense! I don't know how I'll test it, but I'll just put it down to that and not try again for another hour.

Thanks for the suggestion! :yes: