The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Ed sorry to hear of your problems. Heart attacks seem to happen to quite fit and otherwise healthy persons. It is probably that they are better able to spot them. Hope you are back to normal soon.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys, I will catch up over the next few days now I have my new iPad mini courtesy of my son. I have been in hospital for two weeks. I was brought in unable to breathe following a dose of man flu, to be told I had had a heart attack or two! I am due to for for a triple by pass op, probably at HAmmersmith and probably tomorrow.

Will let you know what is happening when I do. Sick as a parrot to miss the Taunton do, and I may have to miss RailEx as well as I dont think I'll be driving by then.

Catch you soon

Ed

Sorry to hear that Ed but at least you're heading in the right direction now and i hope the op goes well - and you would seem to have quite a good excuse for missing the usual breakfast table chat at Railex this year.

• Like 1

Attempts to edit 'the' to 'they' won't work!

Now I get a message - 'your post is to short' Whaaaatttt?

Don't worry - I read it as "they" and wouldn't have noticed except for your correcting post!

• Like 2

Hi guys, I will catch up over the next few days now I have my new iPad mini courtesy of my son. I have been in hospital for two weeks. I was brought in unable to breathe following a dose of man flu, to be told I had had a heart attack or two! I am due to for for a triple by pass op, probably at HAmmersmith and probably tomorrow.

Will let you know what is happening when I do. Sick as a parrot to miss the Taunton do, and I may have to miss RailEx as well as I dont think I'll be driving by then.

Catch you soon

Ed

You'll be fine Ed....

See you at November's New York City Marathon!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Ed, all the best for your op – I'm sure they'll be able to get you back on your feet. With the heart, I guess there's no such thing as being "too early" for addressing a problem...

Weather looking dull here in Leipzig and it appears like it's been raining, actually. I did catch myself a cold after all, but some hot tea and other remedies seem to be helping.

I think we may have the most clever spider in the world.

It's trying to build a web over the new insect box.

Frost this morning but clear skies and sunshine.

We have various edibles sprouting in the sun room - SWMBO has avoided the temptation to put them out yet.

Hedgehog now a regular, cleaning up under the bird feeders.

Wildlife much more interesting than people.

• Like 2

Morning All,

First Don, and now Ed.  We do seem to be down in numbers a bit at the moment!

I spent much of yesterday's Bank Holiday in the garden - but it is back in the office this morning.  It looks like it is going to be another nice day.

I'm not really awake yet though.  I guess it must be time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Dry, clear blue sky & sunshine, 6oC and looks like another nice day.

Ed - very best wishes for your op & hope all goes well. If all the collective good wishes from ER's  could be bottled they would be better than any medicine  :yes: In fact even unbottled I think they still "hit the spot".

I have at long last been able to finalise my late MiL's estate. Gold stars awarded to Nationwide, Nat West, Friends Life & the Pension Service for prompt, caring & efficient help. Raspberry to her local borough council for ridiculous delays. (Although the staff involved were all polite,courteous,apologetic etc etc)

Not sure what I'm doing this morning but a shopping trip is planned for early PM.

Regards,

Bob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny but a bit chilly still.

Today's task has been set. I am to go and look at some garden furniture. The white plastic stuff we bought in the 1980s has done well but is very tatty now. Aditi would like teak tables and chairs this time. I'm not buying, just investigating.

Tony

Good evening!

Soon to go to bed, I found a couple of teasing photos for my downtime:

post-9016-0-09712300-1367475473_thumb.jpg

Me in centre receiving a Gold disc from EMI. I know I look like a slob having arrived in London that am from LA. My coat is actually a Burberry but I was being pawed by a drunk Scottish woman shortly before getting up....

On the left is Baz Golin former Bass player with "Three Dog Night", latterly graphic designer (actually a Director with Capitol Records}. On my other side is Mike Gray, #2 to Ken Townsend of Abbey Road and all-around good guy!

As EMI shortly dumped me after this photo I was tempted to put the disc in my lavatory but the Wife said that was "too cliched, even for you"...

The next photo is from last weekend - shot from a station platform in New Jersey, what exactly is going on here?

Mike (The Stationmaster) is disallowed as I have already discussed this subject with him a day or so ago - I will be starting a proper Topic on this subject in USA and Canadian Railroads later on today:

post-9016-0-68360100-1367476095_thumb.jpg

Have a good day!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

I think it's a re-use of sleepers but they couldn't be bothered to take up the old rails.

I am to go and look at some garden furniture. The white plastic stuff we bought in the 1980s has done well but is very tatty now. Aditi would like teak tables and chairs this time. I'm not buying, just investigating.

Tony

Tony: Old plastic furniture can be dangerous.

A (vastly) overweight relative who has a history of breaking furniture and toilet seats slumped down on one of our garden chairs and sent shards all over the garden.

Decamp for the A&E department at the hospital but nothing (apart from the chair) broken.

• Like 1

That was my thought too Tony, check rails for a narrow bridge.

Morning all and good luck with the op Ed. Get well soon.

I'm hoping to get full movement back in my little finger soon after staving it on Monday night at the dry ski slope. It's improving but still sore when I bend it.

Two more days of work to go, then a 3 day week next week and then off for 10 days. Roll on next Thursday night...

In the meantime, amongst other things, I have 2 ministerial speeches and briefing packs to write...

• RMweb Premium

Pete - multigauge Tilling track????

as Polly suggested after umpiring in the sun yesterday I am slightly weathered! Beautiful blues sky in Leeds. Waiting for window man and then I might go to watch Yorkshire play ....

Have a great day and hope all of those with operations and ailments get well soon.

barry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My guess is a gauntlet track where up and down track share the same single track roadbed but use their own rails so no point blades are involved just a crossing where the tracks seperate. I presume this started because it saved the train having to stop to allow turnouts to be switched and avoided having a tower nearby. Remote operation could have been used but would not fit in with T&TO control.

Morning all another bright sunny start I could get used to this.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dull, dreary, a bit misty, with everything quite soggy after yesterday's rain.

I'm in the gantlet-track camp on Pete's pic. Except that "taken from a station platform" makes the further track a bit of an odd orphan - I've not come across gantlet tracks in a passenger station. A good puzzle pic.

Hope your day goes well.

• RMweb Premium

Morning, a nice start but actually a hint of frost at 06.45.  Off tomorrow, so weather is forecast to be pants, force 6 and rain.  #sigh#

I'm thinking it's gauntet (US=gantlet) track too, but it is odd in a station for sure as Ian says.

Morning all. Bright and sunny in the boring borough but chilly. Back to work today. Don't know what is a bigger pain in the backside.......

Good luck Ed. Hope it all goes well.

My vote is for a gauntlet track. Most likely used to push freight further from the platform to avoid any incidents.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from sunny Hampshire - 3 days running;it's got to be a record! Ian, we've stolen the sun and are keeping it. 

To answer Pete's photographic question, it looks like someone made the mistake of specifying in Imperial and purchasing in metric. Comes from hiring out of NASA, maybe?

Anyway hope Ed is soon to be on the mend, fingers crossed for that. 

Any word from Don down in SA?

Good on ya, GB for sorting out your MiL's estate and for your experiences of High St banking emporia. I suspect each brand has examples of excellent branches and duff ones. 

Photo of the Dapol station booking office to follow.... 

Have a nice day everyone, Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

You will be fine Ed - I had stents fitted in my heart a couple of years back and the change is immediate, my ailing health suddenly - literally - took a turn for the better. You are in the right place, best to be in hospital when they find these things rather than in the house on your own,

Nice and sunny down here, a perfect morning for photographing the pair of 20s working the flasks (two today) this morning.

Hope we all have a good day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As promised / threatened...

I'm hoping that the paint job will be a little better than vaguely GWR. 

post-4299-0-18939200-1367485683.jpg

Hoping to get some time at the weekend to make the platform. 

Andy

• Like 8

Tony was right first!

The site is Roselle Park station on the old Lehigh Valley line about 7 miles from the main ports of New York/New Jersey.

This line is shared by NJT as a commuter line and CSX (some NS) for one of the main lines into the port area that can carry "Double-Stacked" containers.

Why do they need "Gantlet/Gauntlet Trackwork" here?

This Station is one of the few on our entire rail system that has high platforms ala the UK. That being so they need to protect the Freight trains from the platforms and the platform from the Freight trains so the Gantlet track extends either side of the station by about 1/4 mile and shifts the freights over by the distance you can see above.

Gantlet Trackwork is becoming increasingly rare even over here.

By the end of play today I hope to have the thread up and running in USA and Canada Railroads with more photos.

Please pay a visit!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Apparently according to a former colleague (from about 25 years ago) that Aditi met at the conference in Birmingham "Tony is good at quizzes". Clearly more work related activities didn't register too well!

Tony