The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The one we did in Newark had the small bar across the end of the room with seats down the side.

The pints looked really big in such a small place!

Whilst the Rake in Borough Market, London Bridge doesn't call itself a micro bar, it really is and has a great sign above the bar 'no crap on tap'

1966 on the road between Southdown and Twerton areas of Bath there was a small boozer (The White Horse?) that matches this description. They served Ushers (of Trowbridge) Best from the cask which was on a rack in the bar. No hand pumps or coolers, just straight from the tap - a good pint. Unfortunately, Grand Metropolitan bought out Ushers and a number of other breweries and so this pub closed as it was a tied house. Good old days! 

This wasn't very close to the circuit. The Tour Auto Optic 2ooo http://www.tourauto.com/ is a sort of jamboree round France, and so they were all off to the Bugatti Circuit at LM, then to Orleans for the overnight. They have their own fuzz with them, on motor-bikes, natch. 2 years ago on the Tour we heard one of the gendarmes ask where they could get fuel, and he seemed a bit put-out when he found it was almost unobtainable except at supermarkets. No doubt a Parisian!

The cars I saw, and in most cases snapped, included 2 Merc Gullwings, 2 Lussos, 2 Porsche 910s, several Porsche 906s, GT40s, 275GTBs, Panteras and a host of 911s, of course. The racing Porsches have the most road-presence, being very loud, and of course never intended to be anywhere but the circuit. Some entrants are really friendly, waving and sounding horns when they see the camera.

Ah, the de Tomaso Pantera - another lovely bit of quirky Italian motoring history!

There's definitely something magical about that period in motor racing history Ian - the shapes, the sounds, the drivers, the atmosphere... the whole shebang really!

Sir Stirling Moss said recently that he feels a bit sorry for the likes of Jensen Button, Lewis Hamilton et al, as once they come down off the podium they have to glad hand it with the sponsors and behave themselves, whereas in his day they were off 'chasing crumpet and having fun'. Different times I suppose.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tony, find a pic of the "back" end!!!!!

All you have to do is sit in it and people would come running to help you.

Best, Pete.

When I first read this post I thought it was about colonoscopy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We must stop monopolising the thread! Super footage from Spa, which is a great circuit, and showing how much fun Classic racing can be. TVM!

EDIT The extra vid seems to relish the Howmet TX, an intriguing blend of helicopter engine and Mk 1 Cortina rear lights. That whisting noise from the turbine is audible even when it's at its pit!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We must stop monopolising the thread! Super footage from Spa, which is a great circuit, and showing how much fun Classic racing can be. TVM!

EDIT The extra vid seems to relish the Howmet TX, an intriguing blend of helicopter engine and Mk 1 Cortina rear lights. That whisting noise from the turbine is audible even when it's at its pit!

Maybe we better start a car racers thread .  

That turbine job is rather nice is'nt it .

Loads of other good footage to be found on You tube . If you want a laugh find the Farm Truck in the drag

racing section .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

Spa's my favourite alltime circuit (closely followed by Monza -before it was rejigged).

Man, that Hemicuda looks a handful but what fun! Awesome acceleration.......... You've got to admire the b*lls of owners of something like a Ferrari Daytona letting them out like that!

No A35's? A40's are fun to race;  watch any Goodwood.....

It's also good to see classic racers not covered in adverts.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Morning All,

Some great clips on here this morning - so I'll add one.  Hmmm - Big V8's, and some fantastic driving.

Plus, a very good idea of just how much motor racing has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTBgnCanJo

The weather is quite reasonable this morning.  It looks like it is going to be a nice day.

Have a good one everybody...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Up bright and early, and honoured to see the vids etc that my couple of snaps spawned. As Robert said, motor racing is so different now - more regulated both in safety terms and what you can do to your car to make it go faster.

Off out to get a few bits done this morning. Catch up later.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very nice morning here, sunny and quite warm already.

Off to the station after breakfast. Today is the second day of Aditi's course. It is held at the London Museum of Fashion & Textiles though it isn't about either.

I shall then await the arrival of a man from the gas supplier who will investigate the gurgling central heating system.

Tony

On the classic car theme, Robert posted a clip of Gerry Marshall. - a real "larger than life" character. Anyone remember Ralph Broad and his incredibly quick Broadspeed Anglias?

Bright morning here, very little wind (local wind turbines all stopped). Grass to be cut but a little stiff after spraying golf balls to the four corners of our local course yesterday, definitely need to get some instruction.

• RMweb Premium

bit overcast here today

anyone got a pic of the Morris Minor with a V8 in it?  I saw it years ago - it was not for sale so I wonder if its still around?

Have a super day - more umpiring for me post visit to the dentist