The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

So I should expect a "Johnny Cash" experience.

Seriously, the frequent visits to the loo can cause some "local" discomfort! After all the preparation I have to travel up to Whitechapel by train and tube. I'm quite grateful for the smooth ride on the C2C trains! The staff at the hospital I go to are very nice and you can discuss aspects of the procedure, I select the no pain but concious option!

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all - late again

I have spent much of the morning sitting in a layby on a quiet rural road. It's quite twisty in places, though it does have a white line, but today was open for traffic as normal - max speed 56 mph. So the locals may have been a bit surprised to see this

post-4295-0-60654900-1366718359_thumb.jpg

I, and a few others, knew what to expect, of course, although that is a bit derring-do.

A little earlier these three had passed. The leading car was the one I was hoping to see - I can't imagine I'll ever see one on the public roads again, unless in similar circs. There were only 6 made, and this one is 49 years old - anyone tell me what it is? Oh, and former Indy 500 winner Kenny Brack was on board.

post-4295-0-47839200-1366718571_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well done, Pete!

I thought it had something of the AC Cobra about it but that it didn't look quite like those I could have recognised. 

Once upon a time I was quite interested in exotic motor vehicles (though at the time my budget was only suitable for used Cortinas!). Now all I'm really interested in is how comfortable they are and will it start whatever the weather! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did someone mention "Micro pub"? Can't wait to see what DD makes of that. Do they serve small measures? 

Nice cars, Ian. Was that Ashers at the wheel of one of them? 

Fence putting up (not sure what the censor would make of it if I wrote the more obvious verb) is going well, although the two workers must have a great union - plenty of breaks!

Spent the morning trying to put currency conversion shortcodes in to a Wordpress website. Brain now addled!

Anyway, onwards and erm, well, sort of upwards? 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tony, find a pic of the "back" end!!!!!

All you have to do is sit in it and people would come running to help you.

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/49610-shelby-cobra-daytona-coupe-1.html

EDIT And I loved the Wikipedia story that Phil Spector had one and used to drive it on the street!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

Getting away from Andrew's plumbing for a bit...........

Anyone tell me what the Max/Min Temperature should be for a large domestic 'Fridge? Probably the same whatever the size........

Thanks, Pete.

As far as professional food safety is concerned the max should be 4c. (just under 40f) We keep ours at 3c for the fridge and -18c for the freezer. Most nasties will continue to grow at 5c and above.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as professional food safety is concerned the max should be 4c. (just under 40f) We keep ours at 3c for the fridge and -18c for the freezer. Most nasties will continue to grow at 5c and above.

Dont want it any less than 3 degrees or it will ruin your beer !

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Separate fridge for that. Never colder than 8c.

Glad to hear it. Mind you most of ours dont go in the fridge!!

Talking of beer, got to go see dad in hospital tonight but as its so nice it might be a bus from the station to hospital and back then into the pub rather than going home to get the car - will save the extortionate hospital parking fees!!

• RMweb Gold

Years ago when the M4 only jut got past Maidenhead I was overtaking in an old side valve ford anglia in the rear view mirror there was a small black dot in the distance before I got past the other vehicle the black dot was an AC cobra right up behing us. Fastest thing I ever saw. There was of course no national speed limit at the time.

Don

• Like 2

Morning folks (oops... I've only just roleld out of my flea pit!),

Very evocative piccies there Ian - just the ticket. I can't beat your genuine le Sarth moment, not by a long chalk, but a few years ago on the way home from the NEC Classic Car Show I was overtaken on the A45 by three GT40s (one real, two replicas) and what looked like a Ferrari 250LM... they were probably only doing about 70mph but by 'eck they sounded utterley glorious as they all swept past me in my puny Rover P6! A couple of years back on the way to Oxford I had a nice 'what the **** was that' moment when a gorgeous maroon coloured 250 Lusso came past me on the road out of Kidlington - what a beautiful piece of machinery it was (is).

Do your local plod keep tabs on the circuit in the off season...? I'd imagine the temptation for some folk to 'gun it' when they think nobody's looking is too much now and then... ;o)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The micro-pubb thing sounds a bit like an old fashioned bar parlour - sit down in the front room and your pint is brought along from the half-cellar.ce in Ghent - no seating whatsoever in a room about 15 or so feet square plus the bar in one corner, glasses plonked down on an upturned barrel in front of you and then drink served into teh glass.  The interesting things bout the place is that it only serves one 'beverage' - gin, but it does have about 50 - 60 different types.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The one we did in Newark had the small bar across the end of the room with seats down the side.

The pints looked really big in such a small place!

Whilst the Rake in Borough Market, London Bridge doesn't call itself a micro bar, it really is and has a great sign above the bar 'no crap on tap'

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Do your local plod keep tabs on the circuit in the off season...? I'd imagine the temptation for some folk to 'gun it' when they think nobody's looking is too much now and then... ;o)

This wasn't very close to the circuit. The Tour Auto Optic 2ooo http://www.tourauto.com/ is a sort of jamboree round France, and so they were all off to the Bugatti Circuit at LM, then to Orleans for the overnight. They have their own fuzz with them, on motor-bikes, natch. 2 years ago on the Tour we heard one of the gendarmes ask where they could get fuel, and he seemed a bit put-out when he found it was almost unobtainable except at supermarkets. No doubt a Parisian!

The cars I saw, and in most cases snapped, included 2 Merc Gullwings, 2 Lussos, 2 Porsche 910s, several Porsche 906s, GT40s, 275GTBs, Panteras and a host of 911s, of course. The racing Porsches have the most road-presence, being very loud, and of course never intended to be anywhere but the circuit. Some entrants are really friendly, waving and sounding horns when they see the camera.

• Like 5