The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

It is quite a nice mild morning here.

I thought I would drop in before braving the traffic jam on the way to work. Roadworks again!

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning all, 

Don,  hope foot is on the mend...Just seen on CNN that the small town in Texas was pretty much a Czech enclave.  The plant is still pretty volatile apparently! 

Now here's a question for the knowledge that abounds on ER's;  In the UK  they're called "goods trains" in North America they're known as "freight" ,  why ?

I ask this as my driver asked when we saw a (rare) goods train here if that was a "Cargo" train. Got me thinking.................

What ever you're up to today. be good, 

Trev

• RMweb Premium

"Good train" (sic) because anything is better than a crowded commuter emu! 

Morning all, somewhat sunny here today and a busy day planned, including removing valued plants from the fence before next week's fence upgrade. Then much needed haircut and some more translation work on my website.

Horizon last night wasn't exactly lightweight? Maybe need to buy some wellies just in case!  Or move to Scotland. Maybe there's a natural law that says you have to watch a heavy-going programme for each episode of Man Lab you enjoy!! :)

Seems I misunderstood the school sponsored walk and bbq event tomorrow. I thought they wanted the parents to attend a bbq and watch the children amble in a circular fashion around the local recreation ground. Erm, no. I apparently am also on the walk. Hey-ho, should help work off some calories!

Anyway, better crack on with some work and wish  you all a pleasant day today.   

Cheerio for now, Andy 

Edited by AndyB

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bit of a duff day yesterday, the dishwasher decided it wasn't opening again and short of removing it from it's enclosure it won't and the internal handle came off the conservatory door methinks the landlord will not be amused. A grey cloudy start outside, we have had some April showers maybe the weather is catching up. Heres hoping for a good weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast here and I think it may rain.

Email is now working. 

Matthew survived "Bermuda Shorts Day" at university (last day of lectures) and seems happy with the exams so far.

Nothing too strenuous planned for today!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

"it's Tuesday the fifth of Nowonder"

Do we let off fireworks ?????????????

Only if you have undertaken a full risk assessment and kitted yourself out with gloves, respirator, hard hat , safety boots and a letter from you parents to say its Ok for you to hold a lit match....

Wind gone in Leeds , now raining ..... tomorrow is my first (cricket) League game so it had better dry out sharpish or the Yorkshire god of cricket will be upset..

Have a good day everyone..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all another sunny start with the daffs and the forsythia out the garden is looking very spring like. The copse is also lovely with the wood anemones out.

Frieght, goods, cargo one of the pleasures of english is the choice of words which mean much the same. Cargo give me the image of boats. On the railways goods gives the impression of mixed goods but stone traffic I think of as freight but that just me. 

This quote from the Evening standard show all in use;

"The first-ever high-speed freight train between France and the UK arrived in St Pancras this morning, in a trial run that could herald the future of European goods delivery.

The Euro Carex consortium sent a train from Lyon at 16.45 yesterday, carrying the equivalent of 120 tonnes of parcels. After stopping to load extra cargo at Paris.."

Covering all angles there

Don

• Like 1

Morning all another sunny start with the daffs and the forsythia out the garden is looking very spring like. The copse is also lovely with the wood anemones out.

Frieght, goods, cargo one of the pleasures of english is the choice of words which mean much the same. Cargo give me the image of boats. On the railways goods gives the impression of mixed goods but stone traffic I think of as freight but that just me.

This quote from the Evening standard show all in use;

"The first-ever high-speed freight train between France and the UK arrived in St Pancras this morning, in a trial run that could herald the future of European goods delivery.

The Euro Carex consortium sent a train from Lyon at 16.45 yesterday, carrying the equivalent of 120 tonnes of parcels. After stopping to load extra cargo at Paris.."

Covering all angles there

Don

A reporter who didn't like repetition and clearly searched for synonyms! Something we were taught in English Language classes in the early 60's!

Edited for slow memory recall.

Edited by Gruffalo

"the Yorkshire god of cricket will be upset"

Is Geoff playing?

Wandering gently further through the looking glass, I did some 'consulting' work for a County Council recently.

Apparently the project was 're-organised' half way through but they forgot to tell anyone.

It doesn't impact on me in any way (including financially) but a very strange state of affairs. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A reporter who didn't like repetition and clearly searched for synonyms! Something we were taught in English Language classes in the early 60's!

This would actually appear to still be a fairly common teaching method. From a German class, I remember how the pupils had been advised to use synonyms for "good" whenever sensibly possible while giving feedback to their classmates after them having presented essays or other work results.

Carriages or coaches? In my family it was a carriage one boarded.

Is there a difference?

Sorry, I took 18 daily doses of laxatives within a three hour period yesterday.................. :stinker:

The prep is always the worse part of this procedure.

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Only if you have undertaken a full risk assessment and kitted yourself out with gloves, respirator, hard hat , safety boots and a letter from you parents to say its Ok for you to hold a lit match....

Oh, for Fawkes' sake!

Lovely morning here, but there was an overnight frost, and there is some cloud about now. Varian was the other side of the field this morning, most unusually took no notice when I arrived and put the feeds out. Bronte was behind the shelter, suddenly became aware of me and cantered across for brekkie. Varian then walked slowly across. I hope she isn't suffering in some way.

I believe Sherry is having comms issues on her holiday site, so may not be on here very often in the next few days. Probably less frustrating than for beast, though.

Nearly the weekend!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A bit late again, went out for the Sizewell this morning and had to sort out a few things when I got back.

Today is the 2 week anniversary of when the contractors for BT cut our cables, after failing to materialise yesterday they have not been in touch yet to offer an alternate date, unbelievable the poor level of customer service - I would advise anyone who is thinking of choosing them to think again.

Weather down here is dull and (it was, it's stopped now) raining heavily, fortunately it started just after the "coal" passed me.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Premium

I agree but I assumed that the word "cars" is short for "carriages"? We need Dom as an expert to put this straight...

Best, Pete.

I was just having a look into good old Merriam-Webster: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/carriage

Quoting from there:

a : a wheeled vehicle; especially : a horse-drawn vehicle designed for private use and comfort

b British : a railway passenger coach

(...)

Origin of CARRIAGE
Middle English cariage, from Anglo-French, from carier to transport — more at carry
First Known Use: 14th century

...while the entry for "carry" mentions this as its etymological background:

Origin of CARRYMiddle English carien, from Anglo-French carier to transport, from carre vehicle, from Latin carrus — more at car

...so, based on this information, it stands to reason that the verb was indeed derived from a noun.

• Like 1