The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Have you checked this morning?

Aye, checked and no expansion.  I used some to seal a drainage pipe against a 1.2m pressure head the other week and it expanded and sealed it water tight ok. 

Time for a new can, maybe. 

Andy

• RMweb Gold

We spent many a happy day as youngsters running along the beach jumping over groins.

Actually that is just lazy reporting.

In that context the spelling is groyne

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

With days to go until the fence contractor turns up the small print in the contract says "for H&S reasons remove all biological waste (cat cr@*) beforehand".

Very reasonable too.

There are a couple of cats responsible in our neighbourhood. Rather annoyingly the owner of one of them is forever telling the world how cuddly her cat is - cuddle some of its bi-products is my reaction! 

So, my first thought before setting to with a trowel is to deter the fur-covered ambulatory pooping machines from visiting our garden.  

I've squirted a thick lime-smelling gel called "Doff" down on the paths and across the lawn. Or was I meant to rub the cat in it? Any other ideas? 

Andy

Walking through the 'campus' once known as the Railway Technical Centre this morning, I was struck by the design of this place, and the way the architect incorporated the fish and duck pond between Trent House and Derwent, with sixties echoes of Port Sunlight or Bournville, only with a rather more brutalist edge!

Anyway, there at the very edge of the lawn were two Mallard drakes, ready to launch should I venture too close.  Every morning this week that same pair (I assume) has been 'on shed' awaiting next duty, asleep line abreast in absolutely identical poses, but wary.

• RMweb Gold

We spent many a happy day as youngsters running along the beach jumping over groins.

Actually that is just lazy reporting.

In that context the spelling is groyne

I did the latter when a child and the former when at uni - but that's another story.

• Like 2

sixoh8sixoh

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

In your work, do you come across a guy named Martin Egan ?

Can't say as I do.  Doesn't ring any bells, I'm afraid.  Peter Egan used to be the next door neighbour chap in Ever Decreasing Circles, but that's as close as I get, I'm afraid! ;-)

Morning all (just).  Thankfully the last working day of the week for me (which is good, as my motivation has been seriously lacking this week.

All this talk of golf has got me wanting to dust off my clubs and go out for a round... I've never been a serious player, used to play on a short course with a friend once a year (nothing more than a 4 iron required)  and had a couple of rounds of a big course at Uni and when I started in Scottish Govt.  My first ever round of golf was on the Eden Course at St Andrews.  I lost nearly all my balls into gorse bushes.  One of my colleagues is a golfer so might persuade him to take me along with him on the understanding that I'm rubbish...

Looks like he might be, but I tend to have more contact with people on the social care/social services side of things rather than NHS side.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for him though!  chances are he probably works in the old GPO building 100 yards down the road...

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

I had a morning meeting with the Notaire today, and I think we're about signed off - he's certainly had his cheque! A few ongoing bits involving others, including tax declarations for 2012, but the entire estate doesn't reach a taxable threshold, so it's just form-filling. When he and I first met 6 months ago, his estimate for doing the whole shebang came to more than I thought I could afford right then - not realising it would be many months before I needed to pay. He helpfully suggested we not transfer the house into my name, being able to do that when I sell. The bill he gave me a couple of weeks ago was rather bigger than the reduced figure he'd offered last year, but now includes the transfer of title - result!

I then had lunch in the Super U cafe and did a bit of a shop. It's not very cheerful again today, but is dry and about 12 degrees. Looking in the local paper, yesterday's temperatures were actually slightly warmer than the equivalent day in 2012.

Dreary thread elsewhere on RMweb of a lady modeller whose layout was burgled early this morning. Not nice.

• Like 5

Afternoon all

Dreary thread elsewhere on RMweb of a lady modeller whose layout was burgled early this morning. Not nice.

Made more depressing by the seeming UK laws that say you must leave you doors open to thieves otherwise they will sue you.....

Lot simpler over here, I'm afraid.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With days to go until the fence contractor turns up the small print in the contract says "for H&S reasons remove all biological waste (cat cr@*) beforehand".

Very reasonable too.

There are a couple of cats responsible in our neighbourhood. Rather annoyingly the owner of one of them is forever telling the world how cuddly her cat is - cuddle some of its bi-products is my reaction! 

So, my first thought before setting to with a trowel is to deter the fur-covered ambulatory pooping machines from visiting our garden.  

I've squirted a thick lime-smelling gel called "Doff" down on the paths and across the lawn. Or was I meant to rub the cat in it? Any other ideas? 

Andy

Andy,

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier she keeps our garden clear of any feline intruder. To tell the truth, she keeps the garden free of all other animals as well.

Trouble is she likes, no, she loves people. So anyone arriving on the property intend on no good will get slobbered to death. A typical 'nanny dog' as opposed to the red topped newspapers more popular image of the SBT as a 'hell hound' of the Wealdmoor!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

-1C and snowing so should be a nice day to drive down to Calgary. We will be staying in a hotel close to the centre so once the car is parked I'll probably not use it until we return to the airport. Even with the fairly high car park charges it it is cheaper than returning the rental early and getting a taxi to the airport. The light rail system in Calgary seems to avoid the airport quite effectively.

Matthew is "doing something with friends" tonight so we'll see him on Friday afternoon / evening. He informed his mother yesterday that he got 98% in an exam and then attempted to have a text message discussion about post modernism with her. She replied that it was too windy round the Hoodoos to think.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well we duly lunched and I paid - nice place we switched to once I realised time was passing quicker than I'd though and had in any case delayed going to fill up with diesel (which had gone down 2p per litre  :O ) - The Crazy Bear at Stadhampton.

As far as cats are concerned the popular theory is that they don't cr*p in their own garden but always go elsewhere to perform that deed.  Henry is certainly like that and always wanders off down the nearby close but at least he uses the long grass on the way down there as opposed to folk's gardens.  Which is more than can be said for the fox who had very clearly left a calling card down near the bottom of our garden earlier this week.

• RMweb Gold

With apologies to the cat lovers on here, I have nothing against cats per se, but ....

If I were to climb the fence and deficate on my neighbour's lawn they would be most upset and probably try to have me arrested. Why then, can they send their accomplice to do the same to me with total impunity?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With apologies to the cat lovers on here, I have nothing against cats per se, but ....

If I were to climb the fence and deficate on my neighbour's lawn they would be most upset and probably try to have me arrested. Why then, can they send their accomplice to do the same to me with total impunity?

Next doors cat did one in our garden, "Get the shovel and throw it over next door" shouted my partner, I did - but now they've got our shovel and we still have a mess in the garden.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I'd definitely buy in to a product entitled FoFF, provided it stood for something ending in "...furry feline".

Thinking of building a trebuchet so I can send the doings back express, air. 

Ironically I really like cats, but when they are "owned" by people with what appears to be a concreted garden then what can one expect but they seek softer turf. 

The owners are also friends so I'm trying to avoid any straining of the friendship. If not for that I'd be tempted to ask them round for to help clear up instead of them telling the world how lovely the animal is. I seem to be pussy-footing around! :) 

Read the thread about the Bolton model theft. Such a shame that  someone's prize collection can be taken from them with little likelihood of a deterrent-sized punishment if the culprit is caught. Rather put me off the idea of a shed layout. 

Just cooked the best pizza I've ever made - and ironically I didn't measure any ingredients or follow a recipe. 

Expanding foam is now functioning properly again - was to do with the amount of air introduced/allowed to expand at the nozzle.

Andy 

• Like 2

Just curious Pete, that guitar Glen Hansard is playing has a huge hole in it.  I've seen wear before, but never on that scale.  Clearly it's still playable, but that must affect the acoustics and I guess getting it repaired would take something away.  Are old guitars like comfy slippers that no one will part with?