The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Back from some enjoyable exercise and as always ER posts just keep coming.  

Happy Birthday Jam!  Have a great day..

PC is kaput.  Voltage surge took out three of the four RAM slots so new motherboard and labour etc will see a £230 bill.  Chance of getting that back from the electricity company probably zero.  They say put it through your insurance.  Fine in theory but I'd lose my no claims, so basically cough up and get on with it.

Happy reading about lambs and gardening.  That sort of stuff makes the world go round...

Gordon, suggest that you buy a surge suppressing connector block & lead. They do insure you against such failures as part of the purchase.

• RMweb Premium

A most successful afternoon! As mentioned earlier the ongoing situation in NK was somewhat dwarfed by my proposal to possibly, one day, maybe put a shed in the garden and well, sort of, erm, put a layout inside. 

Never let it be said that I was the one to steal a 29-year-old dwarf dictator's thunder, so I decided to make amends by clearing out the garage and excavating the existing layout.

Two shelves put up along the garage wall and some tool boxes, paint boxes, etc put up off the ground. Next, several armfuls of old Model Rail and BRM editions went in the recycling bin. Best not to look inside the covers as it tends to delay or prevent their removal!

Interesting to find some copies of Model Railway Constructor and Railway Modeller editions from the mid 70s. Therein lurk some very early scenic efforts by the esteemed Allan Downes, methinks. 

So, just to reinforce Damenouth's predictions of dire weather, it is now officially the season to be reviving the garage layout!

Andy 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

snip< 

So, just to reinforce Damenouth's predictions of dire weather, it is now officially the season to be reviving the garage layout!

Andy 

So true.

1.  It's raining, for the first time in weeks.

2.  I found this in the garage!

post-10195-0-60618600-1365612595_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Mrs BoD and I had a run out today to the upper reaches of Weardale and the North Pennines. There are still waist deep snowdrifts by the side of the roads over the tops. Before we went we talked to a friend who is a season ticket holder with Durham Cricket Club. He was off to the first match of the new season today.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As I was browsing the model shop on Hexham station today I noticed this.

post-7191-0-63567000-1365617071.jpg

Well for £1 it was rude not to.

Trouble is it won't fit retrospectively onto current shunting plank so i will probably have to build another around this.

• Like 9

Is it morning yet...? :D

Just looked at the date in the corner of my PC screen and realised it's forty three years ago today since the daily papers ran the headline 'Paul Quits The Beatles'...! Where have the last four and a bit decades gone...?

Time for bed!

• Like 3

Just looked at the date in the corner of my PC screen and realised it's forty three years ago today since the daily papers ran the headline 'Paul Quits The Beatles'...! Where have the last four and a bit decades gone...?

Time for bed!

Can't say his voice has improved over that time and you wouldn't want him doing a lullaby for you now Nidge!

• Like 3

Just looked at the date in the corner of my PC screen and realised it's forty three years ago today since the daily papers ran the headline 'Paul Quits The Beatles'.......

For those that are unaware: I believe the Beatles to have been a popular beat-combo! :mosking:

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I found this in the garage!

Walthers coal tipple in the background. And has the hopper being propelled by the FM got Walthers plastic trucks with real springs? Another great idea quietly abandoned, I think!

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly I can remember pundits saying the Beatles would last because of their writing talent whilst the rolling stones would go out of fashion! So useful these pundits.

On PM rdio 4 they had had a favourite album poll. I didn't take vote but listening to the reults most choices seemed to be somewhat after my time ( does that mean I am almost too old for radio 4?) till the got to Captain Beefheart And then Frank Zappa's Hots Rats (which I bought) and then no one choice was Dark side of the Moon (which I do have) after I used to attend their concerts (Umagumma was current)

Don

• Like 2

Time for bed!

Why did he join if he wasn't intending to stay? Timewaster. I bet he comes to no good.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As I was browsing the model shop on Hexham station today I noticed this.

attachicon.giflevers.jpg

Well for £1 it was rude not to.

Trouble is it won't fit retrospectively onto current shunting plank so i will probably have to build another around this.

Looks like the one's that Gormo from "down under" developed in this thread.... 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54069-manual-point-control/

Hexham is an interesting choice for him to start selling them though. I'd have chosen somewhere a little closer to home! 

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Walthers coal tipple in the background. And has the hopper being propelled by the FM got Walthers plastic trucks with real springs? Another great idea quietly abandoned, I think!

Mmmm, yes not bad Ian, Walthers but a bit kit bashed, it is at 90 degrees to the intended configuration, but the cars are Accurail kits, with their trucks, they have KD wheels now.  They aren't a bad model, for the price, I have a rake of NYC and a rake of NH, mixed different sides.  The FM is Atlas, and a sweeter drive you will never find.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Time warped steam....

post-10195-0-41702800-1365626807.jpg

The tipple - with ALCos, yay!

post-10195-0-07364200-1365626826.jpg

RS11 (slightly unauthentic livery, if you know the tale)

on another mine run

post-10195-0-38775700-1365626944_thumb.jpg

if only jelly head could finish his layout.....the mine and power plant make a loads in/empties out pair with hidden tracks through the scenic break.

post-10195-0-00067500-1365627019_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the one's that Gormo from "down under" developed in this thread.... 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54069-manual-point-control/

Hexham is an interesting choice for him to start selling them though. I'd have chosen somewhere a little closer to home! 

Andy

It looks similar but there are noticeable differences. It was on the second hand shelf among a load of other cheap stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon/evening all.

We drove up to look at the local hoodoos this morning. It was rather windy. We then went to Lake Minnewanka. Very interesting but nothing open for a couple of months so we had a quiet walk on the "beach".

Mountain goats were wildlife of the day.

Off to dinner soon and we drive to Calgary tomorrow for a couple of days before our flight home.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Feeling somewhat rough this a.m., so am hoping this'll change in due course. Raining outside, but fairly balmy at least, so perhaps it's a meteoropathy thing...

Cracking layout, Neil! That's about the kind of standard I'd be aspiring to...

• Like 1