The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

It is rather gloomy and damp around here this morning - but it is definitely warmer, and set to brighten up over the weekend (so they say).

Last night, I went to see Cats in Frankfurt.  A fantastic show it was too!  The original London production, staged in a giant tent.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Morning all.  My Dell PC failed yesterday.  I still think it was something to do with the power cut we had the other night and a possible voltage spike.  It seems to have gone into 'power saving mode' and won't drive the monitor.  Tried everything suggested on the web, but eventually took it to the local PC experts.  Waiting for a call with some idea of what it'll cost to repair.  I know I could buy another for £300+ but I like Windows XP....:-)

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=dell+stuck+in+power+save+mode+monitor&oq=dell+locked+in+power&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i22i30l4.2022.12165.0.15642.24.21.3.0.0.0.340.2136.16j3j1j1.21.0...0.0...1c.1.8.psy-ab.qUDAAZR4jQU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44990110,d.d2k&fp=54256ecab64d4196&biw=1360&bih=906

Golfing again today so hoping for a good, warm day.  Have a good one whatever you're up to....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

SVR - Agree, Andy.  You do feel as if you are on a good size railway as you do on the North Yorkshire Railway though it's some years since we went on that. Llangollen is the same, with stations able to hold their own with good sized locos - looking forward to seeing the Steam railmotor and trailer (2x70ft or thereabout).  :locomotive: Must make sure we get some photos.  :sungum:

You've got me going now...thanks for triggering the memory cells - good looking back.

Have a good evening / day all.

Polly

So, my mind started thinking about the possibilities of a layout in a shed along these lines. All I did was just mention it in passing to swmbo and all I will say is that the situation was saved by the BBC reporting from North Korea on something a lot less explosive.  

Nevertheless, there is a certain draw to a GWR-based layout sometime in the future. Maybe N gauge and in the garage though. 

Weather cold and damp here today. 

Have a nice day everyone...

Andy

• Like 4

Dull, cool and dry but low cloud stops my view at around 2km distance. Trip to Northampton to return a cot mattress on behalf of daughter will likely be extended by SWMBO into a more extensive expedition. Thankfully she does not feel Northampton has much of a "retail offering" as would be described in Planners' vernacular" Debs.

Hopefully I will be able to prepare the ground for planting out my broad beans next week.

• Like 1

Morning all.  My Dell PC failed yesterday.  I still think it was something to do with the power cut we had the other night and a possible voltage spike.  It seems to have gone into 'power saving mode' and won't drive the monitor.  Tried everything suggested on the web, but eventually took it to the local PC experts.  Waiting for a call with some idea of what it'll cost to repair.  I know I could buy another for £300+ but I like Windows XP....:-)

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=dell+stuck+in+power+save+mode+monitor&oq=dell+locked+in+power&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i22i30l4.2022.12165.0.15642.24.21.3.0.0.0.340.2136.16j3j1j1.21.0...0.0...1c.1.8.psy-ab.qUDAAZR4jQU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44990110,d.d2k&fp=54256ecab64d4196&biw=1360&bih=906

Golfing again today so hoping for a good, warm day.  Have a good one whatever you're up to....

Take an Apple with you Gordon, and not on the golf course!

• RMweb Gold

:boast: It`s vernacular-pride day, so:

I'm very proud of my vernaculars.......

......but obviously not as proud as Pete is.

Morning all

I just can't shake this chesty cough. It's the seventh night of little or only fitful sleep. I feel like a zombie.

If I had known it was going to last this long I would have made a appointment to see my GP on the first day. That would mean I would have had an appointment for sometime next week.

• Like 5

I'm using a Mac as my main machine.  I kept the Dell for Templot and a few other things.  I could run Templot on the Mac but am so used to it on my Windows machine, I prefer to keep it there.

I changed over to a Mac a year or so ago and overall I'm happy.  It's not faultless though.  In the email system, mailboxes seem to come and go, so pressing Synchronise all accounts is an everyday job.  Not the end of the world, but it's not the Holy Grail of pc's with zero faults...:-)

Edit:  Hope you feel a whole lot better soon, BoD.  Sunderland need you....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

I'm using a Mac as my main machine.  I kept the Dell for Templot and a few other things.  I could run Templot on the Mac but am so used to it on my Windows machine, I prefer to keep it there.

I changed over to a Mac a year or so ago and overall I'm happy.  It's not faultless though.  In the email system, mailboxes seem to come and go, so pressing Synchronise all accounts is an everyday job.  Not the end of the world, but it's not the Holy Grail of pc's with zero faults...:-)

Edit:  Hope you feel a whole lot better soon, BoD.  Sunderland need you....

I'll second the best wishes to BoD. Are you using I-Cloud Gordon? I have been converted since 2008 although I need to keep Windows for some work related applications. I could try running a Windows partition for most of these but not all so I keep running Windows (XP and 7) on laptops. A good-ish Windows laptop costs much less than an Apple but the Windows environment just seems unreliable and messy to me.

• Like 1

Lambs and their mothers in the field.

They've only just been released from their shed so the little'uns are acting like miniature bucking broncos.

I'd post pictures but you might get too attached to them and it would spoil your next lamb curry.

• Like 8

If I'm honest, Gruff, I'm not an IT buff, so don't really understand clouds and the like.  A PC for me is something that sits on my desk and works.  I've no requirement for remote access at all and don't use a mobile phone unless it's an absolute emergency.  

The mail thing is because I'm on BT and they don't really support imap and prefer POP3, so I'm stuck in limbo between two support schools.  Apple want me on imap and BT want POP3.  I've spent ages on phones to tech support of both organisations and could change my Mac to POP3, but am told I might lose my old emails and have to start again.  I suspect there are ways to export them and save, but life's too short for me to spend hours on it and probably lose stuff through lack of knowledge, so I just live with Syncing accounts every so often.

Right now the thought of young lambs frollicking in the fields is far more attractive...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still cold first thing down here, only 1 deg when I left home.

Dull and overcast at the moment, but forecast to get considerably warmer over the next few days, but time will tell.

Having only run once this year prior to Friday last the Sizewell coals are now running daily, another pair of 37s heading my way, which is why I'm typing this quickly.

Hope we all have a good day.

Mmmm, lamb curry :heart_mini:

• Like 2

"Right now the thought of young lambs frollicking in the fields is far more attractive..."

They don't just frolic - they gambol.

Yesterday they bet on the Delhi Daredevils (IPL) so they're not very good at it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

They've only just been released from their shed so the little'uns are acting like miniature bucking broncos.

I'd post pictures but you might get too attached to them and it would spoil your next lamb curry.

I heard on the news that the city of Paris is planning on installing flocks of sheep in the city's green spaces as an ecological means of keeping the grass trimmed. 

I'll give it about 5 minutes before their new lawnmowers are turned in to this ....

So, assuming they'd thought this through I'm thinking that maybe this is a cunning plan by the French govt to create loads of new jobs for shepherds.

Andy   

• RMweb Gold

Morning me old chinas (which I suppose would be my vernacular).

Th yete Sun breaking through a misty morning. No view of the downs yet. I am not sure if MArion would approve of me exercising naked on the lawn could give her the giggles though.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Nice pair of 37s heading into Saxmundham on the coal again - thats 6 of them we've had in 4 (working) days.

I'd swear the guys on the train are watching out for me, they crawled around a corner and as soon as they saw me they opened up the locos and gave some toots and friendly waves.

I have a conference call this afternoon, I hope it's finished in time to get the return.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Vernacular? Network SouthEast ended up with a standard station building that it called a VSB90, where that was the V-word. Not everyone knows that. The architect involved, and his boss, were both enthusiastic bikers.

Pete frolicking on his lawn sounds like a sight to miss - naked men are several degrees less interesting than men in shorts! Anent his neighbour's legs - women's legs are an endangered species these days, as most sensibly keep them out of sight under trousers. In my formative years the mini-skirt showed us how glorious a pair of legs can be, and life has been the poorer since common-sense dress codes returned.

I'm a PC user, and expect to buy a new one every few years when it goes flaky. But I've seldom heard of an Apple user who wasn't happy with his/her choice.

A breezy night and quite a bit of rain yesterday, but it is 10 degrees so pretty bearable.

Have a good day!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I like to see where the next meal's coming from if at all possible.  Many years ago my aunt raised a bullock and I have to say that for some reason prior acquaintance meant that Billy tasted even nicer than your average cut of beef.

Anyway after that culinary adventure Good Morning all - miserably grey looking day and rain forecast for this evening but we might go to the pictures this afternoon if something decent is on (and it is wrinklies' day so cheap tickets) otherwise it will be another evening in I suppose.

The offspring have apparently been getting their fill of the museums in Budapest and this evening they're off to Berlin on the overnight service - 1st Class sleepers for them thanks to their skill with 'net booking and searching out bargains they're doing their entire trip in comfy class, they even managed to find some sort of Club bargain with BA to get them out there in the first place.

Have a good day folks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Dry but dull start to the day & 4oC but the sun is trying to break through.

"We" are still trying to decide what to do with the garden "refit". I suspect that by the time "we" have made up our mind will start work on it next year! I could of course just go ahead & do my own thing with it but I do not wish to risk escalating worldwide tension & start a major conflict.  :no:

DD I haven't been to Paris for many years but I wouldn't have thought that a few sheep would make much difference to the traffic apart from adding a bit of "roadkill" for Andy's dish. :butcher:

Regards,

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nice pair of 37s heading into Saxmundham on the coal again - thats 6 of them we've had in 4 (working) days.

I'd swear the guys on the train are watching out for me, they crawled around a corner and as soon as they saw me they opened up the locos and gave some toots and friendly waves.

I have a conference call this afternoon, I hope it's finished in time to get the return.

I have to say I'm partial to 37s (hey, at least I didn't say "I'm partial to a nice pair"!)

Any chance of seeing a photo, Beast?   

Andy