The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Sam Withers and Tony Dobbin jockeyed nags in earlier races.....you couldn`t make it up! :laugh:

..... and on race cards Tony always appears as A Dobbin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A quick trip to the tip with the packaging from fridge and freezer, open window, cheap rock and roll compilation cd on Maybelline and jailhouse rock. The music sounds raw as well as fast even Peggy Sue. Some windburn to the right arm too......... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We collected Matthew from the bus station and had a meal at the hotel. I think we will have a relaxing weekend rather than a lets do lots of things weekend. Matthew has a cold and looks tired, he has been doing lots of revision.

Weather here is cold ,-2 rising to 8 later and a bit dull. I suspect Aditi will be heading for the hot springs, the hotel is built over one.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I was at college many years ago with a guy from the IOM and he had a car with a number of the A 123 MAN form. This was when the UK numbers still had the year letter after the numbers.

Ed

The release of numbers follows no logic!  We ran our of MAN numbers ages ago, the latest style is to have 'MN' as the last two letters, so we are up to LMN 123 C currently.  The suffix only changes when the series runs out so there's no age related element.  Also many people here keep the same number when they change vehicles, so it's no guide to age.  Until last year any unused numbers could be bought for £60, but now they charge a fortune, and no-one buys them any more.  Debs Honda 250 is H 250 MAN as an example of what we used to be able to do!

No worries about ringing the number they ping NPR cameras if we go to the UK!  Used to get stopped in the UK all the time until we remebered to have the 'GBM' on the numberplate of an old car I had.  Where you guys have the Euro blue circle UK things we have red with the legs and GBM - we aren't in Europe or part of the UK.  Thank crunchie.

Oh, I love that.........is she an 'Enginess' or a 'Locomotrix'? :ok:

I love the Locomotrix idea but this is the 'States - so she is plain ol' Engineer.

It seems if you want a copy Ken Huard will email you one to print....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Idle Thoughts @ 5:00am

When I got married the first time we moved to the borders of Harrow/Wembley Park (we had a "HA9" post code an "01" number but paid out local taxes to Brent Council). My rationale was that I could jump on the Metropolitan Line at "Preston Road" and be in the West End in less than 20 minutes.

It was an interesting area.  They were making "Fawlty Towers" at the time and it stood in for Torquay for the outside shots, particularly the episode when Basil was starting "Gourmet Evenings".

When he went to get the food from another restaurant (due to a disaster in the kitchen) he picked it up at our local Greek restaurant (1 minute's walk from the Met station). Then when he attacks his 1100 with a rather large branch that was less than a block from our house.

Best, Pete.

In the summer season of 2010 and 2011, TOADS at The Little Theatre, Torquay, the company to which I belong, staged episodes from Fawlty Towers and played to full houses on each night of the fortnight long runs. Basil was played by our current director for "A Tale of Two Cities" so, on the rare occasions in the run up to this play when he has had to berate us for some reason, he precedes his comments by apologising for having a "Basil moment".

• Like 7

Good afternoon all,  

missed getting on yesterday evening or this morning as the net was having an "off" day......

There was one good thing about yesterdays silly o'clock start, I got to see a train that is one of the early commuter runs into Lagos,  Unfortunately the sun was out (dont get jealous those in UK) and right behind the loco...as we were moving fairly quickly on the main road (until we came to a dead stop as one does here!) By next station along, most of those on the roofs and on loco foot plate had got off.   

Glad to hear that the pups recovering well Debs. 

Enjoy your evening,  

Be good 

Trev.

post-4282-0-07921500-1365265400.jpg

post-4282-0-81143800-1365265427.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back from work, where I could read the posts, but for some reason couldn't answer any.  Sun is shining, though it is still quite chilly, but looking at the windmills up the hill, they were going clockwise at last from my viewpoint, which means from the wind has turned Westerly - which has to be an improvement.  Here's hoping.

Love the lady engineer pic posted by Pete.

Also interested to see the discussion about cherished number plates - I had one once, with my initials in - not so difficult when I lived in Ayrshire, as the HSM letters were for Dumfries, so it wasn't too difficult to pick up a personalised plate at no extra cost.  Also interested in the sideways reference to cherished phone numbers.  Now that the numbers for orders are randomly allocated by Openreach getting one of these has become a bit of a lottery - but as the VAST majority of such numbers are being recyled by OR nowadays, and there is no longer any way for the phone companies to check a number's history, there is a real danger that a "pretty" number was previously used for a business - I once had a reallocated number that I got as a result of nuiscance calls, and the next one was worse, as it had been used as a backup number for the taxi rank at the local rail station, and until we got rid of it, we were plagued by calls at all hours from drunks wanting a cab - I finally snapped when one guy called seven times on the same night, and got a less "pretty" number the next day.  So nowadays, it can be much better just to accept the randomly allocated number, as it will have been matured by OR for the longest period of time.

Apart from that, not a lot to say tonight, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

long day but weather seems to have been good (been indoors helping with a Level 2 Cricket Scorers course)

Still some snow in the garden but everywhere is drying out 

Have a great rest of the day folks...

• RMweb Gold

Does Koln still have a 4711 advert on the end of the trainshed?

Watched the Grand National - the first horsey event since Deb's been gone. I ignored the Cheltenham Festival, which was the highlight of her racing year. Good to know all the horses came back in one piece this year - they haven't always, by any means.

As for Pete's pic of the pretty lady in the GP40-2 - this is typical traincrew, isn't it? You go to all the extra expense of a cab air-conditioner (thing on roof, a very SP add-on) - and they go around with the windows open!

Anent Manx car registrations, I'm sure I saw MAN150X on Box Hill many years ago. I don't think we'd reached X as a suffix in UK at the time, so it did take me some time to realise where it must be from!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

We drove up to Lake Louise today. There was some fresh snow but the trails round the lake were walkable. As we approached the car park on our return it started snowing heavily so it seemed a good idea to pop into the hotel there for a late lunch. By the time we finished it had stopped snowing and didn't start again until we had parked the car (underground) in Banff.

Tony

• Like 1

Good Sunday morning to you all. It's still pitch black outside so cannot give a current weather report, but expect it to be cloudy.

Sunday lunch will be lamb today. My brother lives in a more upmarket retirement village. He says they never have lamb for any meal as the management claim it is too expensive!

Happy modelling to those who can and do.

Morning all.  Lake Louise was totally frozen when we were there, Tony.  Beautiful place.  Take a wander over the tracks and you may get a chance to get close to an AC4400.  Look closely and you can just pick out 'Wally'...

Also worth a trip to Peyto Lake if you have some time to spare.

Big competition today, so hoping all these weeks of practice will bear fruit...:-)

post-6950-0-56301700-1365312542_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-23300900-1365312530_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Afternoon.

We drove up to Lake Louise today. There was some fresh snow but the trails round the lake were walkable. As we approached the car park on our return it started snowing heavily so it seemed a good idea to pop into the hotel there for a late lunch. By the time we finished it had stopped snowing and didn't start again until we had parked the car (underground) in Banff.

Tony

What was Matt's experience like on the Greyhound? I've never done that as buses make me sick.....

Good luck, Gordon!

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I don't remember what may have become of the 4711 advertising at Cologne Central either. I but do remember the zero altitude flight we did last year when we took the ICE in order to visit the joint LEGO/model fair!

Quite sunny this a.m., but a touch nippy. However, temperatures are indeed still expected to rise. If only it weren't for the revising...

• Like 2