The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Sleeting here now. The river was pretty cold when I popped down there earlier. The sleet didn't make it feel any warmer.  :swoon:

Good to hear from Debs and that her dawg is on the mend.  :locomotive:

Andy

• Like 1

but then astounded me by asking if I usually had injections for fillings (this is my first treatment at this practice)! Naturally I said, "Yes!" but wondered if people do actually opt for drilling without injections to numb the nerve?

Sorry, but i'm one of them - I consider it unnecessary for most dental treatments.

I do have a high pain threshold however - I once carried someone down a mountain with "the worst soft tissue damage" in my calf and ankle that the Doctor had seen, in fact he said the other person should have carried me down. I was a lot younger then,  1982.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

but wondered if people do actually opt for drilling without injections to numb the nerve?

Well, I'd never! As I am admittedly phobic of dentists, injections are the only thing which make such treatments somewhat bearable for me...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just been out for my usual lunchtime photograph two units session - it was near blizzard conditions !

Passed some of the time with the local P.Way foreman, a nice chap who was complaining it was too hot to wear gloves (!), not the first time we've chatted, he helped me get some nice photos of signals a couple of weeks back by using my camera for me.

Like Pete I don't always have the injections, they rarely work for me and I feel the pain anyway, but I have a high pain threshold too - although I kept my tissues in my pocket so they didn't get damaged :P

Hope the pup is recovering well Debs and everyone is having a good day.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Fingers remain firmly crossed for continuing progress at Collie Towers.

Day seems to have gone rapidly as the tree surgeons returned at 08.00 - after yesterday's 5 hour late start they had plenty to do - but were gone before 12.00 leaving a large pile of sycamore, dead elm, and hazel ready(ish) for splitting.  Did some of it but my splitting 'grenade' vanished when splitting a particularly awkward piece (probably under a pile of split pieces) and it was sleeting plus it was d*mned cold so I took the management to Tesco instead so that she could save £5 - which involved spending over £40 to start with.

Now trying to recover from axe/sledgehammer swinging and get a bit warmer, and the sleet has started again.  However a goodly part of the bank at the bottom of the garden now looks like a sort of aftermath of that Tunguska event but without tree trunks lying on the ground.  Management is now considering plating the area with Rhodedendra - advice sought on the digging of holes in near vertical surfaces.  So after they'd finished this view was considerably changed, and the neighbours at the back are happy too because they have found they are getting a lot more light in the house (to get an idea of scale the green shed at far left is 16ft long)

post-6859-0-01926100-1365080735_thumb.jpg

Here's the fir tree 'before' and (and somewhat messy for focus) during its descent - quite a nice tree but alas it was moving right the way down to the ground when the wind started blowing so felling it was the safest option.  I'm now going to be a much happier bunny when we get strong winds as all the high trees were moving far too much for comfort in my view.

post-6859-0-75010000-1365080509_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-94746200-1365080552_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just in from what passes for work at the moment....it's like having a new job.

Glad to see improvement in the Musketeer department Debs, you must have had a long night.  I'm sure he couldn't be better cared for.  Positive thoughts continue to be beamed in your direction.

I'd love to relieve you of some of the firewood, Mike!  With my being home so much this winter we have burned an incredible amount.

A lovely sunny day here again, the mountain road has re-opened at last after the snow, still plenty heaped up high along the roadsides.

Lunch and coffee I think, garnished with more coffee.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I am really glad to read that Debs' collie is doing well. Dogs seem to recover quickly. This time last year Robbie looked as if he wasn't long for this world and the day after his operation didn't look (apart from the "collar") as if he had been ill.

I'm not too sure what we will be doing today. Probably drive to a lake and have a gentle walk around the shore. I had an email from Matthew confirming that he has purchased a bus (Greyhound) ticket so we will be spending the weekend in Banff with him. We drive there tomorrow. Aditi already has noted the scenic viewpoints to stop at heading south on the Icefields Parkway.

High / Low pain thresholds? I assume I'm fairly normal in that my reactions to injury seem to be similar to most people. I'm lucky as paracetamol works very well for me. I know someone who seems to have a very low pain threshold and the slightest knock seems to generate much vocal response. When Matthew was little he didn't seem to make any fuss about falls, grazes or cuts. Once when he did karate he was worried that his gi (karate suit, not sure of spelling) was covered in green stuff. He was relieved when I said it was red not green (he has very poor colour vision). He knew blood would wash out.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Much relieved Debs when you hadn't posted this morning I feared the worst. A lot of TLC now I expect. I think we would all understand that you would not want to post straightaway especially if you were still concerned. When one of our dogs almost sliced off the large pad on the foot, rather than wait for the Vet to call assistance in I assisted at the op to stich the pad back on. Strangely it was better actually helping rather than just waiting. I am somewhat phobic about needles and injections so did feel a bit queasy when he passed the needle right through the pad and foot.

With an Abcess injections may not work to numb the pain.

Mike it is not usual to get leaks from the shower waste if it has been fitted properly. I like to ensure that I can check it after being used for a few times. My shower trap was accessible from a small piece of floorboard cut for that purpose. When I was reasonably happy I laid new flooring over the top. More commonly the leakage occurs where the tiles join the tray. I know the joint is usually sealed with silicone but this can be a poor seal. Some trays now have an upstand you have to chase out the wall to fit the upstand flush then whhen you tile they overlap the upstand. My usual method with a standard tray is to fill the gap behind the tray ( due to the slight slant on the shower tray) with cement then seal this to the wall with silicone before tiling then seal again with the silicone.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about pain my thresholds, but I certainly am aware that having taken them for an extended period, the effectiveness of painkillers (codeine, tramadol) is markedly reduced.  Does their effectiveness come back in time I wonder, or is it a permanent thing?  I have thankfully been off them now for a while other than the odd bad night.  As my hip is going to need to be re-visited by a man with a big knife sooner rather than later I'd like to think so!

A'noon ER chums,

Relieved to hear of Deb's hoped for news - and here's hoping for more of the same. We're often thought of as a nation of pet lovers and I think it says a lot about the general nature of most of the population - looking at our shopping bill this week we seem to have spent more on cat food than human sustainance! Best wishes Debs and our collective fingers are still crossed here in our corner of Warwickshire  ;)

I had a very pleasurable drive home in the new toy this morning, picking up a new (or in this case old) car and driving it any distance for the first time is always a bit nerve wracking but the old girl behaved impeccably during the 30 mile trip and everything works - lights, heater, wipers etc, are all ticketyboo which is a relief. When I got home though I was surprised how much road salt had stuck itself to the sills and underside so it was out with the cloths and Autoglym polish. Although it appears near mint in the photo there are lots of little areas that need finishing off with bits of glue and paint in places they shouldn't be - plenty to do but there's ample time as it's a long term keeper this one... I'm hoping to get to as many steam and diesel galas in it this year as possible ;-)

DSCF0842_zpse7b56f14.jpg

• Like 13

That's a real beauty, Nidge! I've always wanted one but never did.....

My Wife is lecturing for the first time at Montclair State University today. I told her that she was very good at lecturing so it should be a breeze for her.........

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

That's a real beauty, Nidge! I've always wanted one but never did.....

My Wife is lecturing for the first time at Montclair State University today. I told her that she was very good at lecturing so it should be a breeze for her.........

Best, Pete.

Love the capital 'W' for wife. Says something!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about pain my thresholds, but I certainly am aware that having taken them for an extended period, the effectiveness of painkillers (codeine, tramadol) is markedly reduced.  Does their effectiveness come back in time I wonder, or is it a permanent thing?  I have thankfully been off them now for a while other than the odd bad night.  As my hip is going to need to be re-visited by a man with a big knife sooner rather than later I'd like to think so!

I think the effectiveness does wear off. I was regularly prescribed codeine not as a painkiller but to take advantage of one of its side effects. The required dosage for the effect to have any effect got steadily higher, so I was switched to an different medication. That eventually ceased to work so codeine was tried again and worked in small doses again. I think the advice is to tell your doctor if something ceases to work. 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Glad to know the news, Debs. Thinking of you.

Late posting as I had an early appointment at the dentist. (9.05am) As this is on the other side of Torquay,  I set off at 8.30am but overestimated the journey time (Easter school hols makes a difference!) and arrived 15mins early, only to be seen 20mins late! In fairness, the dentist did apologise but then astounded me by asking if I usually had injections for fillings (this is my first treatment at this practice)! Naturally I said, "Yes!" but wondered if people do actually opt for drilling without injections to numb the nerve?

Anyway, treatment complete and safely back home, with only a few dribbles of coffee on my clothes caused by numb lips!

Cold and sunny here again. Hope everyone is warm and well.

Yes, Sherry, I do sometimes, as I have quite a high oral pain threshold, according to one of my previous dentists - a few minutes of pain, as opposed to a few hours of discomfort

Great news there from Debs, I am so pleased that Porthos has survived the night - hopefully that is the crisis over, and onwards and upwards with a speedy recovery and back to lots of walkies.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon ER chums,

Relieved to hear of Deb's hoped for news - and here's hoping for more of the same. We're often thought of as a nation of pet lovers and I think it says a lot about the general nature of most of the population - looking at our shopping bill this week we seem to have spent more on cat food than human sustainance! Best wishes Debs and our collective fingers are still crossed here in our corner of Warwickshire  ;)

I had a very pleasurable drive home in the new toy this morning, picking up a new (or in this case old) car and driving it any distance for the first time is always a bit nerve wracking but the old girl behaved impeccably during the 30 mile trip and everything works - lights, heater, wipers etc, are all ticketyboo which is a relief. When I got home though I was surprised how much road salt had stuck itself to the sills and underside so it was out with the cloths and Autoglym polish. Although it appears near mint in the photo there are lots of little areas that need finishing off with bits of glue and paint in places they shouldn't be - plenty to do but there's ample time as it's a long term keeper this one... I'm hoping to get to as many steam and diesel galas in it this year as possible ;-)

DSCF0842_zpse7b56f14.jpg

there is an E reg one of these always parked close to Frizinghall Model railways - just never bucked up courage to see if its for sale.

• Like 1

Yes, Sherry, I do sometimes, as I have quite a high oral pain threshold, according to one of my previous dentists - a few minutes of pain, as opposed to a few hours of discomfort

My dentist offered to drill me without painkillers. I told her if she did I would scream the place down. Never been asked since.

• Like 3

there is an E reg one of these always parked close to Frizinghall Model railways - just never bucked up courage to see if its for sale.

Sounds interesting Barry - if it's on an E reg it'll be the earlier 3-litre 'straight six' version.... you could always leave a cheeky note on the windscreen!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My dentist offered to drill me without painkillers. I told her if she did I would scream the place down. Never been asked since.

My (female) dentist in '86 struggled to get my tooth to settle down so she could work on it. She told me I was at risk of a heart attack from the pain of her work. I recall her delight when the injection on the tooth - not the gum - finally worked. Root canal, all that stuff, followed. Sadly, she moved practice shortly after. Indian, delightful, compassionate, competent.

• Like 6

SWMBO drove up to see In Laws this morning.

She 'phoned to say she had been hit in the car by a 55 ton crane (which didn't stop).

Fortunately no injury.

The Volvo looks a little the worse for wear but on initial inspection, it's a new wing mirror and fittings, some slight bodywork and the windscreen has sprung on one edge but still drivable.

The crane company have agreed to pay for any damage and a courtesy car.

The police helped her a great deal and also spoke to the crane company.

Apparently they have written off two crane vehicles in the last week - at £3M a pop so they weren't too bothered about the Volvo.

So - much to be thankful for. It's one of the reasons she drives a Volvo - these rural lanes can be dodgy too.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be more of this happening, a colleagues car was hit by an outrigger disc from a mobile crane while the police were there they were happy to pay for everything, the minute everyone disappeared suddenly  everything changed despite wrecking her wheels so the car was undrivable they didn't want to pay for a courtesy car. I told her if all else failed to tell the firm she was contacting the transport commisioners about their operators licence I will find out the results after the holiday.

• Like 1

She 'phoned to say she had been hit in the car by a 55 ton crane (which didn't stop).

Fortunately no injury.

Good-Lord!!!! :O ......what a merciful near-miss that was; it might`ve squashed even a Swedish car, flat!

Further to today`s dental-derived E.R talk (in both humans and canines)...the vet. mentioned that the diffuse hemorrhagic crisis that affected my young-musketeer during dental surgery, can also afflict humans during routine dental interventions..........The idea that one might end up bleeding to the point of near-death whilst having a tooth out, might test the mettle of even the most confident dental patient. :O

Glad we all got through this day (relatively) safely. :friends:

• Like 17

My ENT wanted to operate on my deviated septum and conch (no, not due to that) - I went along with the idea until he told me I must not fly for 6 weeks, why? Because I could bleed to death before the plane could land.

No thanks, I've lived with it for 60 years.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1