The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Debs collies do always look so happy don't they!  Obviously properly looked after, there's nothing worse than a bored collie, but they look so bright and full of beans.  Who walks whom, though..... :jester:

She surely walks sheepdogs on the sea-shore! :blum:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

There was offspring in several enclosures, such as these two kids in the goats section, which I understood were just three days old:

I was quite amazed that they weren't much larger than our rabbits! They were just so adorable... :tender:

My neighbour Sheena had a little mishap with her goats a while back - two of the females got in with the males and had a good time! This week Sheena has found she now has 5 new kids. Not the best result for someone who is supposed to be downsizing.

• Like 6

Lovely, Debs, just lovely.  They aren't maudling at all......

Tri-colour on the right has a nice smile!

:angel: Although well looked after: I do take great pains not to Collie-Model them! :laugh:

That smiling tri-boy on the left is actually going to the veterinary-dentist tomorrow; for a dog tooth check :declare:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon (well it is here) all.

The herbivore poo was probably from the herd of elk that came into town and spent some time posing for photos outside the park service office. They had gone when we went to investigate but caribou were on the edge of town near the railway tracks.

We were at the Park Service office to see if the road to Maligne Lake was open today. It had been closed due to an avalanche but had reopened today. I'm glad we were able to visit. All the roads here are clear but some of the carparks are "interesting". The Jeep isn't as sophisticated as my Land Rover but I'm glad I'm not driving my own car round here this week. It is the "dust" season in Jasper when they clean up all the grit and other dirt that has been applied to the roads over winter. I should imagine the cleaning could be sponsored by a windscreen replacement business. Everyone seem to drive at a sensible speed though.

Tony

• Like 2

The Jeep Liberty is unsophisticated, relatively but it is quite tough. You may have been better with a six cylinder engine considering the altitude but then again Canada has American cars with European gas prices......ah, the Alpine parking lots......think we've still got some around, like at Wallyworld. Do Walmart exist in Canada?

Got quite chilly here today, cold NW wind - out of Canada, natch.

Best, Pete.

Morning all, 

Yes Pete there are Wallmarts in Canada, what amazed me was the size of even "small" packs of stuff on sale.  Only 28 days and I'm there again! (BC this time).  I hope Tony you'll get round to posting a few pics?

What ever you're up to today, try and enjoy.

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Dry with light frost & 0oC.  Forecasts range from cloudy with snow showers to clear skies & sunshine. I suppose they're guessing again!

Garden rejig has been temporarily put on hold so I seem to have a free morning today. I think it's about time I did something with the "trainset" even if it's just play with it :locomotive:

The problem is that after what I've seen on here I should really rip it all apart, start again & try to do it properly!  :scratchhead:

Have a good day,

Bob

I have discovered at 73 years of age that warmth is conducive to sleep.

Ever since I got back under a blanket at night I am sleeping through to 6:00 am (The last 10 years of working I as waking at 4:30 to be at work by 6:00}, then since retirement I have been waking at 5:15 but the last two days I have been sleeping through until 6:00. Although I have an alarm clock I have only ever used it if I need to wake earlier than usual.

The rain of the past 5 days cleared during yesterday morning. Today has dawned bright and clear with a promised 22C (71F). Cool but comfortable.

BoD i am VERY pleased to hear that you are using your shunting puzzle! I hope it's proving to be fun! What couplings are you using?

I had converted all my stock to Kadee and had fitted 19 permanent magnets at strategic points so that realistic shunting was possible.

I look forward to photos in due course.

Peter, how is part two of Wittering progressing? 

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

No sunshine at this time, but not freezing either. Not sure what we'll be doing today, aside from my certainly continuing to revise.

Have a good one, folks...

"Peter, how is part two of Wittering progressing?"

Just doing the boring stuff at the moment, Don - as time allows between surviving the permafrost and catering to wildlife.

Heavy frost this morning although the snow is gradually retreating over the last few days.

On TV last evening 'Horizon' told us that the weather over the last two winters is due to the lack of sunspots in their eleven year cycle (it alters the jetstream). Also that the sun has an event every 300 years (due in 40 years time give or take a century) which mandates a mini Ice Age.

(See the bonfires and Ice Fairs on the Thames in the 1700s).

Of more immediate concern for our UK and N. Europe ERs might be that Global Warming and melting of the Polar Ice means changes in the winds which brings us Siberian weather from the East.

Global Warming  :nono:

While hedgehogs might prefer wet cat food, it had to make do with what was available last night.

Much the same as us over the last week or so.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sunny with a clear blue sky visible from our cottage in Robin Hoods Bay.

A bit of Boggling to do today - the young uns are running to Whitby (the silliness of youth) so we need to cheer them on.

Possible fish and chips in the Magpie in Whitby ( I have saved up for it!)

Have a really good day all of you.

• Like 1

Good morning, all!

I am watching the sun rise for the second day running! Temp is -2 deg. C at present but forecast to rise to 8! Last Winter, we had little frost here but it's very different this year.

Have a good day!

• Like 2

Morning All,

Brrrr - It is still much too cold here for the time of year.

The blue sky and sunshine has been replaced with grey as well!

Oh well - no use moaning about the weather.  Otherwise it's a wonderful day.

Have a good one everybody...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Decorated all day yesterday so didn't check in. 

Another day of the same again, today. 

Was too tired to cook last night so we went to the pub, had a pint and a bowl of chips.

Turns out the chef is a bit of a perfectionist and has been trialing all sorts of potato varieties to find the best one for chips.

Apparently you have to switch varieties throughout the year, depending on growing conditions.

Last night's was "Wilja", having the edge over Maris Pipe in a side-by-side tasting. 

Ok, back to the decorating for me. Catch up again tomorrow. :)

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dull and cold here today, we still have patches of snow around

post-6662-0-83475100-1364974760.jpg

Sadly I couldn't stop and photograph when the sky was full of shafts of light, ethereal in appearance so

It's Toad Time !

post-6662-0-56418500-1364974797.jpg

The boys are back in town, they've been either hiding in the far corner of their field or inside their building for the past few weeks, but, today, they broke cover again

They are strange creatures, all doing the same thing but not one actually knowing why, a bit like some of our fellow modellers.

post-6662-0-70038000-1364974857.jpg

• Like 9