Layout in a weekend

Robert

This is an idea that I have been kicking around for some time. Although I am building a layout for my Son and I, progress has stalled of late and I need the impetus to get going again. It all started with this picture:

Kyle.jpg

I believe it came from here somewhere - probably on one of the previous incarnations of RMweb - but I don't have the source. I believe it is the Kyle of Lochalsh and was taken in the early 1980's. If you were the one that took this picture, thanks! It is one of the most atmospheric railway pictures that I have ever seen and certainly captures the image that I am trying to create. The mist covered mountains, the puddles, the smoke from the station chimneys and the Rat ticking over - waiting to take the next departure out.

My idea is to create a small layout in a single weekend. Maybe a long weekend (Friday to Sunday) but a weekend none the less. Obviously that is just building the thing, so I have been doing some prior preparation, and making some sketches. I must apologise in advance for the quality of these - I am a terrible artist, but I hope at least I can convey the general idea in these scribbles.

This would be a general overview of the layout:

8.png

I have industrialised the area slightly, with the addition of a factory and simplified the track layout. This was my first track plan sketch:

9.png

As my notes on the page state (assuming you can read them :lol:) Having two factories on the board would probably make things too cluttered and make viewing difficult, and so the second draft removed one of the factories:

10.png

Instead of the factory, I considered the idea of a ferry dock - with a small siding for a couple of tankers to refuel the vessel and various wagons with goods to be loaded aboard.

Over on the other side would be the factory - I see the view from the ferry dock as being something like this:

5.png

At the back of the layout, between the factory and the sea will be a small street with a terrace of houses. A pipe bridge will be used to define the edge of the layout, and will run behind the last of the houses. A mirror under the pipe bridge could be used to give the impression of depth and houses beyond the pipe bridge.

6.png

Finally the small station - nestling between the industry and the waters side. A single platformed affair with a loco release and run-round loop. A small "siding" of sorts will also be present for the resident 08 shunter. Although the station itself probably wouldn't be large enough to justify its own shunter - I considered the possibility of some more "off stage" industry.

7.png

Operation would take the form of arriving/ departing passenger and freight trains:

1.png

Here the incoming service arrives, and the locomotive runs round for the departing service. An "off stage" fuelling point could also be imagined allowing the locomotive to depart for fuel/ water before returning again. There may also be the chance of a main-line loco bringing a train in. Larger locomotives would have to be shunt released - another reason for having a shunter available.

2.png

3.png

Here we see the arrival of a freight service. The shunter shunts two wagons into the lower siding, followed by four into the upper siding. Services could also arrive with wagons which are then tripped to "off stage" facilities. The factory siding can also be used for wagons which may be required by the factory.

Finally, an overview of the complete track plan.

4.png

I invite your comments and suggestions!

• RMweb Gold

A weekend to build a layout - that's plenty of time. Just get some quick drying glue, plenty of scenic materials to hand and have copious supplies of food & drink to keep you going. Best of luck !

A weekend to build a layout - that's plenty of time. Just get some quick drying glue, plenty of scenic materials to hand and have copious supplies of food & drink to keep you going. Best of luck !

Plenty of tea! i found this helps on whatever work needs doing :D

(also save the alcohol for sunday night when you can either celebrate or sit down depressed)

Thanks, Robert.

I too have been sniffing around the idea of a Scottish layout to try my hand at P4. So I was thinking of Kyle of Lochalsh line (not neccesarily the station itself) but a "through". I thought it would be easy to find a book on their trackplans (it being so popular) but no luck so far in the 'States.

I think yours is a great idea!

Best, Pete.

I believe it came from here somewhere - probably on one of the previous incarnations of RMweb - but I don't have the source. I believe it is the Kyle of Lochalsh and was taken in the early 1980's.

I believe it did, it is the Kyle and I believe it's minewink.gif

Glad you liked it Robert. At the time I just thought it was underexposed, the moodiness wasnt intentionallaugh.gif

Glad you liked it Robert. At the time I just thought it was underexposed, the moodiness wasnt intentionallaugh.gif

Excellent! Well, it has been the wallpaper picture on my laptop for ages now.

It is surprising how many people comment on it and ask where it was taken. I even had a bloke on the ICE going to Berlin "call in" at my seat to ask where it was taken.

Guest Austerity94

Hi Robert,

Like the idea, ambitious too. There are a few other folk on the forum doing some inspirational layouts based on the Kyle (in 00 by and 2mmFS) so they may be of use to you.

As for the photo - looks cold, damp, pretty miserable day really ... it must be summer!

Good luck and regards,

Alex.

(A Scotsman a long way from home ... )

• 1 year later...

Archived