Horsted Keynes - East Grinstead, OO

Bluebell Model Railway

Looks fantastic Matt, the E4 is superb! (You couldn't build me one could you?) wink.gif

You've made a lot of progress since I last visited your layout on both the extension and the locomotive front with some fabulous machines. Although I'm now on the hunt for a Terrier for my boxfile layout now I've seen your thread again.

Wishing you Well.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

Sorry Ive not replied in a while ive been a little busy.

Thanks for the comment on the E4, pretty expensive kits and the time i took to build that and also to get it to fit to a railroad jinty... but came out ok in the end and works.

Theres a few terriers about and there always great little runners.

Ive been absent for a while from forums as the layout can't really progress much futher really focusing on reliability and also locos.

Latest projects include 2 - P Class's, Archibald's Larger tender and re-numbering a new Hornby schools to be Stowe which i have now finished with a little help :)

Also hoping this year to get some new pullmans with lights.

Had a few friends round today... Mr Wenchford, and mr tom came over to film a new video / Film coming to a cinema near you! STOWE will feature in the video when its finished as will the layout. It was a good days running and opened the layout in full today and ran for 5 hours straight with no problems.

On the P-Class's From Dean Sidings, Bluebell and Nettle, bodies are mainly complete and modifications complete to the terrier chassis, now awaiting some fine Drill bits to attach the Hand rail supports.

Heres just a couple of images... and maybe a short vid to follow....

100_8188.jpg

100_8215.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Matt

I'd be very interested to know how you found the P class kits - I can't find any mention of Deans Sidings online, though I am aware they also produce an E4. How long did each P take you to make and what level of skill would you say is needed? Also, how much did they cost?

Good work on Stowe!

Thanks

Hello

Good question getting hold of dean sidings (Dave) can be very hard to do, best way is to try see if hes attending any exhibitions, he has no shop or online presence, his main trade is through shows.

Ive had a few conversations with Dave as I was after his E4 LBSCR, as well but the Mould is life expired so went with the Roger stenning kit which is white metal. Last time i spoke to Dave the new mould would be around June / July time.

How long.. well ive been working on them a few days, id say day and half each, but they do not have the hand rails attached as of yet cause I need small drill bits to be able to do this.

Skill wise... there not particularly difficault, more fiddly with the small parts pipes ect... but the plans are well worded as are the chassis mod's which ive some what altered to suit my needs.

Price: £37.50

Total of the 2 Im building including purchase of terriers and the plates to go on them about £180 to date.

Thanks for the comment on stowe... it was the cheaper of the 3 lol rolleyes.gif

Hi Matt.

Long time no speak. I have to say you have done a fantastic job on the E4 icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif . I cant wait to see the p class finished as i seen this model on the dean sidings stand at the bristol show two years ago and must say its a lovely little model. Keep up the great work.

Regards kev icon_thumbsup2.gif

Hey Kev

Great to hear from you again indeed it has been a while! Yes I also look forward to finishing for a completely different reason... ive run out of money lol. Seriously it will be nice when its done, as you say they are great kits.. i often wondered what they were like... as you told me about the E4 and the P he did... i had never seen them... so I decided to go for it and they are an interesting build and nice to put together and good looking little tank engines, will suit the layout well :)

Thanks for the Comment on the E4 if these 2 P's come anywhere close to that I'll be very happy!

cheers

Matt

Quite a significant update since the last time I posted, Both P-Class's are finished or near to. 178, Nettle is complete and had its first run in its complete form today. It ran well and reliably with a few tweaks needed but was very successful.

323, Bluebell has been lined, Numbered and plates added, and now just drying awaiting its first run this weekend sometime.

I hope soon when theres dry weather i hope to do a few videos including Nettle and BR Fenchurch in a 1963 re creation with the Met coaches.

100_8301.jpg

DSC08536.jpg

DSC08539.jpg

dsc08529b.jpg

DSC08527.jpg

100_8303.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you guys.

Yes i was reading up about Primrose last night, may be the next on the list after Baxter, and Bluebell, but Im not sure on that so just wait and see... and let the bank ballence recover... as i think just on these 2 alone its cost £300 so I won't be doing that again for a little while.

Yes quite a bit... all adds up..

Plates are from GuilPlates, all the plates for the P's and also cabside plates for the Q cost about £45, I usually use Model Master plates which Ive used on the schools.

Price from Guilplates depend on if they have already done a set, Nettle ones they had not done before so they were about double the price of Bluebells.

And after a trip to Tring Model exhibition I've brough a hedge to replace the one on platform 5 and to tidy that area up a bit.