Class 321 DCC Sound

amsie

Hi all,

I've nearly completed my Bratchells 321, and I thought you might like to see the unit with DCC sound. Im not sure if this is the right area to post it in, but here are the links:

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/K5I4jOI4dPg

http://www.youtube.c...u/1/sWD-OuCaeC4

The sounds were made by Legomanbiffo of this parish, who I would like to thank for his help reblowing the chip, giving me general advice on sounds and being so prompt with reblowing the chip and delivering the chip back to me.

He is working on other AC EMU sound projects so it might be worth contacting him with any requests.

Hope you enjoy the clips,

Paul

Hi

Very nice I really like the sound when it leaves the station. How many speakers you got added. I didnt realize it was 4 cars until it pulled out. Legomanbiffo has done a great job with the sound files. Agree time to look for a new controller can I suggest the NCE....no clicking.

Thanks for sharing and great job.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for the comments guys.

Lights, No, not yet. There are a couple of finishing jobs to be done, including installing the working lights.

Knowing a bit more about DCC now, I'll probably goto Warley and have a good play with the systems on demo before making my next decision, but thanlks for the tip Marty.

Its also worth pointing out that hte speaker isnt fitted in its final position as advised by Legomanbiffo, so hopefully the sound will improve once finally fitted :-)

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Eastern region electrics, with sound, whatever next! biggrin.gif Very nice, captured the sounds perfectly. Is the backscene a photomontage, or a enlarged picture of a real high street? Reminds me of Brentwood.

regards,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Living in Kent and working in Watford, then Bletchley for 3 years meant I got used to 321 noises, and these sound just right.

As far as DCC systems go, Digitrax enables you to have clicks or not on the handsets. Some people find turning a knob while watching the train needs clicks to tell them how many notches they've advanced the throttle. Others just use the up and down arrow buttons anyway. I certainly recommend you to try every system in sight before splashing any more cash. The right system for you will become transparent in use - the wrong one will get up your t*ts every time you use it!

Thanks for the replies all.

The background is a photomontage. Its only temp as were not sure if were moving or not until next year!

The decoder is a Loksound.

Old dudders, thanks for the advice. Its only after a few years that I can see how im running my layout and the need for change. To be honest, my origional plan was to have a through station with only a few stopping services, which the controller would have suited, particularly with the two dials which were perfect for quickly controlling 4 trains. Its only since going for DCC sound that i've changed the station to a main stopping station, and hence the controller has shown its shortcommings for that environment, particularly with only 13 functions, and no quick functions which makes 2 tone horns a bit of a button clicking fest. I believe that Hornby may be releasing an update for this, I hope so.

The clicking is only evident when videoing, so in day to day used, it don't really bother me.

Thanks again, and im glad people are enjoying it as much as I do. Bring on the 310 sounds Legomanbiffo!!!!!!

• Trade Member

Paul,

Tell us more about that backscene. Did you take the photos yourself and what manipulation did you have to do? It looks very effective.

I'd love to record a 310, 312 or anything similar but I'm not aware of anywhere with 25kV slam door stock still running, unless anyone can advise?

I'm just putting the finishing touches to the 350 Desiro in readiness for the Bachmann release, another type with very distinctive sounds.

Bif

I'd love to record a 310, 312 or anything similar but I'm not aware of anywhere with 25kV slam door stock still running, unless anyone can advise?

No, I'm pretty sure they have all gone.

The doors themselves should not be too awkward, but even the motor on a 313 sounds different to a 312.

I'm just putting the finishing touches to the 350 Desiro in readiness for the Bachmann release, another type with very distinctive sounds.

I can see that unit tempting me to start modelling more modern than the 1990's I currently work with.. & with sound too?smile.gif

Bif,

AFAIK, there is nothing like that running any more, mores the shame. I don't know if anything was prevserved to run now and again. I know there was a 306 preserved but how often that comes out I do not know, and if it sounds anything like the 302/8's etc I do not know. Maybe a mixture of the 313 whine with slam doors might be close to, I don't know.

The photos were manipulated in Photoshop, and were taken by myself. They are only temp, and quickly done. I might retake them again and do them more professionally, im not sure yet. The eventual plan was to scratch rebuild them all, but like I say, because we might be moving, and until I know what loft space I have at any new house (a definate requirement to any move) I can't crack on with them, which is ok as im starting to get through my long list of EMU projects.

Pete, I was really tempted to go model the 350's, they look great, especially in London Midland, but the thought of them Pendolinos soon put me off that idea :-) So i'll have to plug on scratchbuilding them EMU's.

Cheers

Paul

Pete, I was really tempted to go model the 350's, they look great, especially in London Midland, but the thought of them Pendolinos soon put me off that idea :-)

Me too.

390's are not so common on the Northampton loop, only a few services per day.

You could easily model that without them: most of the freight goes that way & there is some sort of terminal in Daventry too.

• RMweb Gold

Me too.

390's are not so common on the Northampton loop, only a few services per day.

You could easily model that without them: most of the freight goes that way & there is some sort of terminal in Daventry too.

DIRFT? Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal, I think? There was also to be a new parkway station immediately south of the M1 bridge - name of the village escapes me - south of Northampton*. One of those "enabling" facilities to allow lots more houses to be built while developers show green credentials. Northampton, like Rugby (& Wellingborough) is already prime commuter country for London, so I think I know who'd have bought the new houses. The Government idea was also to get cars off the M1, but they'd hardly have scratched the surface there, at least not unless the trains went at Pendo speed non-stop to Euston, and pathways don't exist to permit that.

EDIT : *Courteenhall & Milton Malsor were the villages nearby.

There is part of a 312 at the electric railway museum in Coventry, so you should at least be able to record the doors slamming!

It is a shame that the sounds are not for a Zimo decoder, I might have been tempted.

Archived