Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't you have altered the track to bullhead in the second picture Martin?

Not necessarily. There were quite a lot of FB renewals in the 1950s. But not with Pandrol clips which were invented in 1957 and became widespread only from the late 1960s.

I did look for the "Convert flat-bottom rail to bullhead" function in PaintShopPro, but couldn't find it. :)

Martin.

• Like 2

It took me hours to line up this shot and ensure that each unit number ended in the same digit.

Then again it might just've been luck ..... :scratchhead:  

Lovely shot, Peter! Just on the North-West side of Poole station, correct?

• RMweb Gold

Under a threatening sky the 11:29 Leeds to York, 2C26, crosses the River Wharfe over Arthington Viaduct on 6th August 2014.

• Like 7

Under a threatening sky the 11:29 Leeds to York, 2C26, crosses the River Wharfe over Arthington Viaduct on 6th August 2014.

post-7286-0-06998600-1407351506.jpg

4630 - Your picture might be taken as a watercolour - very nice! Is it a straight transfer from your card?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon, I'm pleased you like it.

I try to get the basics right 'in camera' so that I don't need to do much in the way of processing afterwards.  It's the RAW file from the card converted in Adobe Camera Raw, with a gentle 'S' shaped curves adjustment in Photoshop to enhance the contrast a little; a touch of sharpening, plus a crop to improve the composition - there was too much greenery to the left, right and bottom of the frame for my taste.  The watercolour effect I think is down to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales countryside !

• RMweb Gold

Network Rail working 1Q14, Marsden to Neville Hill T&RSMD, comprising 31233 and vehicles 977868 & 9701, wait at Ilkley on 6th August 2014.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The "watercolour" effect is caused by the very evident jpeg artifacts, resulting from the high compression setting. See along the top of the trees:

post-1103-0-34626700-1407392681.png

(enlarged)

The image file is only 66KB, whereas a typical file size for 800 x 600 images in this topic would be in the range 200KB - 300KB.

Some people like the compression effect, but for me looking at fuzzy images causes discomfort.

regards,

Martin.

The "watercolour" effect is caused by the very evident jpeg artifacts, resulting from the high compression setting. See along the top of the trees:

attachicon.gifcompression.png

(enlarged)

The image file is only 66KB, whereas a typical file size for 800 x 600 images in this topic would be in the range 200KB - 300KB.

Some people like the compression effect, but for me looking at fuzzy images causes discomfort.

regards,

Martin.

Interesting that one of Alan Butler's very sharp and detailed images should follow close behind Russ's impressionistic one and Martin's useful comments.

I like all three posts.