A GWR Terminus on a shelf

pacerman

Making a start on my shelf layout today, it will be a GWR branch terminus set in the mid to late 1920s.

One problem I do have currently is the track plan, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with that, as I am finding it difficult to come up with an interesting track layout with 110x26cm to use and only one right hand point.

Anyway aside from that I am hoping to document the process of building it here.

• RMweb Gold

I don't want to sound sarcastic, but I'd have thought your planning options are pretty limited/straightforward if you're only going to use one point?

Lots of other people here will have great ideas for a GW terminus, but for a kick-off I'd suggest that you're going to want a loop for the loco to run round its train, and probably at least one siding for goods traffic.

• Agree 1

I have to translate size to 43"x10.25".........very little can be done in this size in 4mm, with one point.......

Do you have additional length for a fiddle yard?  If so you could have the other end of the loop in the fiddle yard/sector plate.  And also a separate goods line just from the sector plate.......

22 hours ago, pacerman said:

Making a start on my shelf layout today, it will be a GWR branch terminus set in the mid to late 1920s.

One problem I do have currently is the track plan, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with that, as I am finding it difficult to come up with an interesting track layout with 110x26cm to use and only one right hand point.

Anyway aside from that I am hoping to document the process of building it here.

By only one right hand point do you mean the others are left hand or that you're trying to plan it with just a single point.

Also, is that length 110 cm plus a fiddle yard or including one. In either case it's going to be a stretch to get a complete terminus into such a short length in 00 so you'd probably be looking at some kind of working diorama.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

43"x10.25"..

I managed a credible 'layout' on 12" by 48" so not far off these dimensions, having a sector plate at one end, or fiddle stick, to move trains/stock between two running lines would provide a run-around option, ie if the one point is placed at the opposite end? A station platform could be run along (fully) one side, might just manage a couple of bogies or a few six-wheelers at the platform?

A search online shows examples like this--https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/844493669110069/

Edited by tractionman
example

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

By only one right hand point do you mean the others are left hand or that you're trying to plan it with just a single point.

Sorry I should have stated, yes its one right hand and three left hand points

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

Also, is that length 110 cm plus a fiddle yard or including one.

110cm for the scenic area

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, pacerman said:

Sorry I should have stated, yes its one right hand and three left hand points

110cm for the scenic area

worth looking at the 'Ashleigh' layout in my link above, it has 1 r/h and 3 l/h and is a station terminus!

• RMweb Gold

There's one that turns up on Pinterest called 'Upwey' that might be an inspiration. 

A stick, sector plate, or cassette fy will release a turnout from the country end of the runaround, so 3 sidings, one of which can be a kickback in front of the hidden area. 

• Like 1