Barkston to Shap in two hours

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

This is an image that Matt and I have purchased the rights to for his forthcoming "Milk on the Rails" book, due to be printed next week.

It may be me(!) but I can't "square" the photograph and the location given on Rail Online's excellent website;

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p766079789/ea7b7846

The shape of the telegraph poles and the position of a power line in the background don't match any pictures or maps of the line that I can see or find in the vicinity of Barkston.

Can anyone help please?

There is a huge collective knowledge on here covering multiple locations and railways, so hopefully..

I may have missed something blindingly obvious, of course... 

Yours hopefully

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
tat for that
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it is Barkston.  Below are three of Dad's photos.  They are taken before and after the date of the photo you are asking about and the telegraph poles do not match.  The background hill seen in the Deltic photo also doesn't match.

BarkstonA460003AndrewKMcCoshupexpassc1953JVol5064.jpg.b5db7cf8508dd95a0c99f7a30d763dfa.jpg

Barkston A4 60003 Andrew K McCosh up ex pass c1953 JVol5064

eBarkstonWDupgoodsc1960JMImageX04.jpg.72dc2a8d2a1870254dbc75663b7450a1.jpg

Barkston WD up goods c1960 JMImageX04

BarkstonClass55EdinbhurghtoKingsXMarch70J2085.jpg.ccba730adae743956c5e3473dcb56159.jpg

Barkston Class 55 Edinburgh to Kings X March 70 J2085

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Those are beautiful photographs David, thank you ever so much for sharing them with us on this thread.

Also I am relieved (in a way) at your conclusion, backed up by those superb images, I suspect that the picture is not taken on the East Coast main line at all, so where is it? Maybe the West Coast main line somewhere? 

Also, it is a very long train for a loaded milk service and the BR standard brake van is unusual, so possibly an empty working? In which case, if northbound, then the shadows suggest a morning working...

Edited by Not Jeremy
Relief of releived
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just down the road is Great Gonerby, not far from Barkston and there is a tunnel, and the line is straighter than at Barkston.

The photo says c1963, but if it were c1961 it might fit. Allington junction would be in the distance, which is where the line splits towards Barkston.

There is something going on towards the end of the train, that might be earthworks for the A1 Grantham bypass which was being built, opening in 1962.

If that was the case, it would be an up train about to join the ECML at Grantham.

• RMweb Gold

D319 appears to have spent all its life allocated to the WCML, from 1961 to 1966 it was allocated to Crewe North.

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=319&loco=319

So I would agree that perhaps it is a photo taken on the WCML.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

So I would agree that perhaps it is a photo taken on the WCML.

The extended top arm to the poles with red insulators (for power @ 110V ?) is characteristic LMS practice.

Paul.

• Round of applause 1

This image looks to have been taken at the same location. I searched on 'Shap' having noticed the historic use keys and chairs on one line and the Pandrol clamps on the other. I get the impression, based on the limited number of images, that this photo was taken from a signal box.

Original-35mm-slide-BR-Brush-Type-4-D185

The Class 47 image is supposedly linked from https://picclick.co.uk/Original-35mm-slide-BR-Brush-Cl31-at-unid-375190892913.html

though I can't find it. Does the train reporting number 1M35 hold any clues?

Edited by MartinRS
Link URL
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant

Thank you very much to everyone for responding, especially Stoke West and Martin RS, a definite location!

That is incredibly helpful, and a great relief after being utterly baffled.

I will let Tony at Rail Online know so the he can correct the info on his site.and alter the book proof too.

Another demonstration of how great is RMweb.

Simon

• Like 10

• Not Jeremy changed the title to Barkston to Shap in two hours
  • RMweb Gold

As a postscript, the class 47 freightliner caption is not quite right, this location (and that of "our" photograph) is looking north from the B6261 road bridge at Shap Gate, as Martin says above.

The power lines in the background are what prove this point.

Sorry, I have become a bit obsessed with all this.

Back to reality...

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 3