Ffestiniog Branch : Coaching Stock 1953

• RMweb Premium

Could l ask the help of the more knowledgeable GWR modellers on the forum please?

I ve been looking at early BR period photos of trains on the Ffestiniog branch, and noted that in the early BR years corridor coaches were still in use.  I have been trying to identify the coaches in the two example photos l ve attached both taken in 1953. Unfortunately they are very poor enlargements so proper identification may not be possible, however in both cases l believe them to be a Collett "Sunshine" stock vehicle and an earlier Collett Brake of some description? 

Can anyone confirm my assumptions please?

Thanks in advance

Bob C

1953.jpg

5810  1953.jpg

Top photo E148 Brake Composite and C70 Third.

Bottom photo C73 Third and, I think, a 57' Toplight Brake(?) Composite though there were several diagrams of these. By this time it may if it had panelling originally (and not all Toplights did) then some or all may have been removced or been plated over.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents, your help isnvery much appreciated, looks like l can put my Mainline and Hornby Collett coaches back into storage then! 

• RMweb Gold

Not unusual in South Wales right up to the early 60s; Newport-Brecon, Neath-Brecon, and Neath-Treherbert being examples.  A feature of these services was longish journey times (you could get to Paddington quicker from Newport than you could Brecon, only 35 miles away) and gangwayed stock with lavatory facilities was preferred.  Not cascaded, either; new Hawksworth coaches were used.  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Never seen it in authoritative print anywhere, but I recall being told during my own railway career back in the 70s that any journey of more than two hours would be given gangwayed stock for lavatory access.  And South Wales runs such as those mentioned, along with others like the Mid-Wales Brecon-Moat Lane route and the S&DJ Highbridge branch were slow with frequent stops and fairly long as branches went.  The Bala jc.-Blaenau Ffestiniog route was not suitable for high speed running because of it's severe gradients and curvature, though non-gangwayed stock was certainly used in the mid-50s and up to closure.

Had these services survived beyond the 1962 cull and Beeching in '63, they would no doubt have been operated by gangwayed dmus, the 'cross country' 119s and 120s, though how one of these would have coped with the 'Five Mile Bank' up to Torpantau or the climb of the N&B route over the flank of Fan Gyhirych at Cray is debatable...  perhaps power twins such as were used on the Central Wales route would have been an answer.  Or a lower-geared version devised; a maximum speed of 50mph would have been acceptable IMHO. 

23 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The original caption reckons it was a Brake Compo ..... after all the guard's got to ride somewhere !

I was thinking it should be, but what's visible of the arrangement of doors, hinges and toilet windows is a little indistinct with no obvious sign of a luggage area, hence the caution.