New Heljan 00 Class 42 Warship

Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this: https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/all-new-Heljan-oo-gauge-class-42-warship-announced

Hopefully permitted to post given Ben’s regular progress videos. To be honest the new rules have left me completely unclear who we can and can’t post about. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Roy Langridge changed the title to New Heljan 00 Class 42 Warship
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, I would prefer it is was almost anyone else. The Class 104 looks good but the 25, 45 and 47 are not great. A bit of a lottery. Hopefully they get it right.

The Class 42 has a complex shape especially around the cab. Fingers crossed.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I am reserving judgement, but still stick to my wait to get to hold something from Heljan before committing stance. 

As I have commented before, Heljan have produced some cracking models, and some naff ones. The 104, as you say, looks great. 

With some models issues have just leapt out at me, on this they don’t, but I am no Warship expert. I am sure the likes of @Phil Bullock will have an opinion worth listening to. 

Roy

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

To be honest the new rules have left me completely unclear who we can and can’t post about. 

The new rules only apply to traders and their representatives - as a normal user you can post about anyone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Surprised . I thought Bachmann did one , but I suppose this is a class 43?  Im not sure what differences are . I’ve never felt compelled to get a Warship even though I have a Western and Hymek .  I suppose with the advent of all these DCC functions , sounds lights etc they feel there is a market for this .  Certainly plenty of choice in liveries . 

• Like 3

The class is a bit of a nightmare to get right - if they can genuinely model the variants including the considerable differences in the first 12 (including the roof arrangement)  it will fill a handsome gap...if...if...

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hopefully permitted to post given Ben’s regular progress videos

No problem as you're a reliable, long-term member without affiliation or association to the manufacturer.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Surprised . I thought Bachmann did one , but I suppose this is a class 43?  Im not sure what differences are . I’ve never felt compelled to get a Warship even though I have a Western and Hymek .  I suppose with the advent of all these DCC functions , sounds lights etc they feel there is a market for this .  Certainly plenty of choice in liveries . 

Yes Bachmann released a newly tooled class 43 in 2015. The Bachmann class 42 can trace its history back to the Mainline one - but with an upgraded chassis, which was again upgraded to 8-pin DCC, and then again to 21-pin in 2010. There have been no releases of it since 2012, so definately scope for a modern working over. They are tricky to catch correctly though... with lots of minor variations.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

The Class 42 has a complex shape especially around the cab.

8 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Heljan have done a 7mm version of a warship. So would assume a standard scaling down of that info. How was the 7mm experience?

Whilst the nose is quite bulbous from side on, its only really like that in the very middle and towards the edges its quite swept back.

Heljan didn't get this right in 7mm - I'd originally planned to try and file it down to a better shape but got cold feet and sold it on. The area circled would be my concern as sticking out too much, same as the O gauge one.

warship2.jpg.002351245cbfad8f31b639a445066df2.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Bachmann have modelled both,though the 43 is more recent and was acclaimed critically on its release.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Heljan and Rails on these announcements.

The 3- and 4-character types had traditionally been Middle Polling, but the latter moved up to High in 2022 (the last Poll to run before we run again near Christmas this year).

We wish Heljan and Rails every success with the projects.

Speaking personally for a moment, I am delighted to see 'the early ones' come to market after such a long wait. It seems strange that when I was young trainspotter when these locos were being delivered the assembled masses of fellow spotters at the platform ends all booed as one gleaming brand new loco arrived with its train!😀

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

First glance looks ok, the engine room windows and grills look bigger than Ive been used to with Bachmann/Mainline but tbh I always thought theres too small.

The EP shows its going to have illuminated as built headcode discs looks interesting, and the curves around the cab ends to the frame look ok to me.

interested to see how this progresses… nice to see its quite advanced in development too, so  hopefully not too long to wait.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No problem as you're a reliable, long-term member without affiliation or association to the manufacturer.

So members can post information about Heljan releases but not Cavalex Andy?  

As a very long standing member of this forum (since day 1), who has been paying for it since Rmweb gold was launched, I find the double standards rather disappointing.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

As a very long standing member of this forum (since day 1), who has been paying for it since Rmweb gold was launched, I find the double standards rather disappointing.  

First it was the Accurascale 89 thread now Heljan 42 thread.

This is a thread about Warships not battlefields.

This Cavalex class 60 feels quite toxic.. I got well beaten up when asking a question in that thread, to the point I didnt order any more as it just left a bitter taste.

Are Cavalex fans Millwall supporters too ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Whilst the nose is quite bulbous from side on, its only really like that in the very middle and towards the edges its quite swept back.

Heljan didn't get this right in 7mm - I'd originally planned to try and file it down to a better shape but got cold feet and sold it on. The area circled would be my concern as sticking out too much, same as the O gauge one.

I’m not normally one to raise shape issues and this might be due to the image responding to lighting but yes I have a reservation about the ends of the model But it’s a difficult thing to achieve,it has to be said. As one who saw every one of the class between 1959 and 1965,I remain to be convinced. Interesting that two of the old WR clip in headcode versions ( D800-D812) have been chosen . Like the idea of detailed front ends which anno domini has become near impossible for me. We shall see. Well done Ben.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

First it was the Accurascale 89 thread now Heljan 42 thread.

This is a thread about Warships not battlefields.

This Cavalex class 60 feels quite toxic.. I got well beaten up when asking a question in that thread, to the point I didnt order any more as it just left a bitter taste.

Are Cavalex fans Millwall supporters too ?

Sir - as a longstanding Millwall supporter I wish to take issue with your comment...

....we are not ALL modelling in OO gauge

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would be in the market for one of the original ones with 3 character clip on reporting numbers. But I will hold off until I’ve seen decorated samples, especially given that they are £44 - £50 more than the standard release depending on your sound/non sound preference.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

That's a Lima one though?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I've said before, don't try and stir things up Rich. You're not party to everything so just sit on your hands please and, certainly, don't make accusations.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile back on the warship…

Ive traced a few of the curves that make it complex..

IMG_9836.jpeg.01958fab346510a6f303d377a044be2b.jpeg

41e82427-dff4-4c07-8f10-e6e63767349e_140

(url link)

note how the nose to side window edge join doesnt seamless flow on the EP, maybe rubbing down this edge a bit might help ?.. it flows into the bottom window frame on the loco, but it flows up the corner join towards the top on the EP. Theres also a shelf almost forming in the EP (the brightest spot reflection of light) on the nose towards the corner, which again is smoother on the real thing which doesnt reflect like that as its a seamless curve).

The Lima model suffered from being too bulbous imo. It also lacked on the wheels / bogie.

Mainline got the shape quite well imo, probably better than Bachmann later… I always thought Fleischmann did an outstanding job too… just in HO.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

I think I might be having one of these.  I'm no expert so as long as it's face 'looks right', I can forgo any detail differences as I won't (probably) have known they should have been there to begin with.

One request though... could it please have a motor that doesn't require it to be semi-permenantly coupled to its on mini-nuclear power station?  I know their models are normally pretty hefty beasts but when I get the 45  living room lights start going dim!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Will there be current Preserved variants done, basically the two which are still in existence as shown in the video?

I checked the Rail website but these two don't appear in the list as current day Preserved.

Cheers

Steve