Accurascale Class 37 Run 3 Part 1!

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

. Do you know if the model comes with a blanking plug , as it would then not be a disaster if it failed to work ? I also think constant sound could be irritating after a while . 

I think I might just wait , though . It is interesting that even with Bachmann the full yellow headcode box 37/4s produced seem to be Welsh ones !  

i have just checked my run 1 and run 2 37 sound  boxes and i found no blanking plug inside

30 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Just remember that sound will function on analogue (prime mover etc). So this won't be a waste if you order it. And its actually quite fun

Alternatively you can sell the sound decoder on after you get it.

If you are thinking of ever upgrading to sound it is better to buy Accurascale locos with it fitted. The sound option is substantially cheaper than buying the loco and adding sound later. I got caught out over the Samaritans class 66, at the time I didn't realise you could get one with sound fitted, it cost me a lot more to retrofit it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

All of which has prompted me to initiate a running session with 37402 of the first batch. DC analogue Gaugemaster Combi. Introduces the element of fun and skill in controlling firing up,coupling ever so delicately,running slowing down ,brake squeal & shutting down..Worth a go.

• RMweb Premium

While none of these loco's suit my modelling period (the previous run did)

I'm still impressed by the spec and the very reasonable price rise which is , given the extra goodies , not a price rise at all ! 

So well done Accurascale ! 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Ordered the Colas, EWS and Scottish Hosteller versions. However if I’m honest,  I was expecting a WCRC, Loram (which could still be announced), 37025 Inverness TMD or indeed 37409 Loch Awe in ScotRail Livery. But since Accurascale have already done 37409 in Large Logo and to prevent duplication, I thought that wouldn’t be a real candidate. I see some other members have commented on how 37114 Dunrobin Castle would also be a great model, I second that. I have fond memories owning the original Lima model and it would be great to own another version of this loco.

• Like 2

Would be nice for Rails of Sheffield to do an Exclusive of the recent or current 37612 to compliment the already released 37610.

Really happy AS are doing another current Colas 37 in 37421, I know the competitor did it a while back in their old tooling but now only buy Accurascale 37's thus works out nicely to go with my other AS Colas & HNRC 37's.

Hopefully Accurascale can do Colas 37099 Merl Evans in the future.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Cheers G- BOAF . I’m always wary of running Sound locos on analogue after a friend told me speed was severely impacted to the extent the loco crawled round his layout .p

I have this with my sound on DC locos, its endemic so no particular decoder or manufacturers model.

I have several different Gaugemaster controllers to choose from, and a Piko one, it makes no difference really. DC controllers are around 1amp at max.

I find the decoders taking the first 0.8amp, and most locos draw 0.1amp just to get crawling.. with transmission loss over distance your out of amps.. it crawls, some just dont move at all.

Open to answers on this one, but ive generally not bothered buying much sound fitted locos over the years due to this (and other issues).

Going DCC would require a re-mortgage and a gap year from work, so in 20 years time perhaps, or maybe wifi will replaces the TV remote control technology that is DCC by then… the toolings will be due a retool by then also.. so i’ll stick with DC for now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Duly ordered a DCC & sound 37421 to go with my 37116, so I can top and tail my Network Rail test train.  My friend @class26 was disappointed that 37114 ‘Dunrobin Castle’ wasn’t announced as that’s at the top of his Accurascale want list, but delighted with 37420 ‘The Scottish Hosteller’ and duly ordered a DCC & sound model.

Hum, thinking of biting the bullet an turning 414 into plain 402 or Petroleum 418. I like the idea of getting 408, if I use IPA to remove the numbers will the gold band underneath be OK? I done a few Bachmann parcels, intercity and train load freight locos so have a little experience in such activities. 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

21 minutes ago, Highland Fin said:

EWS 37408 absolutely spot on for me!  Order went in this afternoon, hoping that I can get some mk3 Caledonian Sleeper coaches to go with it at some point over the next 12 months or so!

No brainer for me too. Memories of photographing 408 on the Rhymney's just after the EWS repaint in March 2002.

2002-04-12 25.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, RP82 said:

Hum, thinking of biting the bullet an turning 414 into plain 402 or Petroleum 418. I like the idea of getting 408, if I use IPA to remove the numbers will the gold band underneath be OK? I done a few Bachmann parcels, intercity and train load freight locos so have a little experience in such activities. 

White spirit has been the thing to use on the most recent Accurascale models. So much so that I’ve removed the odd printed detail whilst weathering with enamels

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

No matter how hard I try, I cannot login to pre-order. Is it just me or is there something wrong with their site?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RP82 said:

Have you tried Scottish whiskey to remove stuff apart from the stomach lining,might just do the trick…:)

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

There is in proper whiskey though! 🤣

I’ll quit while I’m ahead… 

Cheers!

Fran

Scene: Accurascale towers, Wednesday morning:

McC: Last night dozens and dozens of people with Scottish addresses cancelled all their orders, I can't understand it. Do you have any ideas why Fran?

Fran: .........weeeeeelllllllllll

McC: Fran, what did you do?!

• Funny 16

Hi Fran, yesterday I heard that the latest batch of Class 37’s will have operating fans in the roof. Will this become standard and happen in the next runs of 31’s, 50’s and 55’s?

see you on Saturday.

Fred