Model Railway Journal 307

adrianmc

• RMweb Gold

mrj307.jpg.c3381f0ffe987baf1bc9079f7bb25496.jpg

Out now - subscription copy just arrived in West Sussex.

Conyer Creek Signals by Greg Coomber

Concertina Van Third by Trevor Pott

A Brace of Stanier 3P 2-6-2T Locomotives in EM Part 2 by Karl Crowther

Small Suppliers Forum

Day Return to Bleddfa Road by Geoff Forster

Coventry Shed and Pumphouse 1839 by Chris Cox

Oxenhope by Victor Hall

Book Review

Letters

Period Scaffolding by Ian Hopkins

Trevor Nunn Obituary

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold

Arrived here in Bath too - another belter of an issue!

Just can't have too much of that beautiful South Eastern cover - and here's a picture of it that won't make your eyeballs ache....

1-MRJ307.jpg.4b8fc16d4fe648b66e844aba2a47ead3.jpg

Edited by Paul Karau, direct ordering from me and my take on it is here.

The main layout feature is  a model I was completely unaware of, and is just so very pleasing and inspiring on so many levels - especially for those of us given to old things "Suvvern", inconsequential architecture, watery surroundings, and the larger scales.

Makes me come over "all Dungeness"(!)

And in other news, "Milk on the Rails" by Matt Pinto will be with the printers by the end of this week. A recent addition to the text has been the inclusion of a really stunning Ivo Peters shot of a milk train at Evercreech Junction in fantastic light.

Seeing a scan of the whole square negative (thank you very much to Julian Peters for arranging this) of a picture I only knew from a 1980 OPC book is an absolute joy. It is given a full page in the new book.

Simon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Arrived here in Bath too - another belter of an issue!

Just can't have too much of that beautiful South Eastern cover - and here's a picture of it that won't make your eyeballs ache....

1-MRJ307.jpg.4b8fc16d4fe648b66e844aba2a47ead3.jpg

Edited by Paul Karau, direct ordering from me and my take on it is here.

The main layout feature is  a model I was completely unaware of, and is just so very pleasing and inspiring on so many levels - especially for those of us given to old things "Suvvern", inconsequential architecture, watery surroundings, and the larger scales.

Makes me come over "all Dungeness"(!)

And in other news, "Milk on the Rails" by Matt Pinto will be with the printers by the end of this week. A recent addition to the text has been the inclusion of a really stunning Ivo Peters shot of a milk train at Evercreech Junction in fantastic light.

Seeing a scan of the whole square negative (thank you very much to Julian Peters for arranging this) of a picture I only knew from a 1980 OPC book is an absolute joy. It is given a full page in the new book.

Simon

Dear Simon,

Please accept my grateful thanks for allowing me the opportunity to not only look to order '307 from you but to settle down and see what book I never knew I needed until this point I can add to the order............

Easily Led of Cardiff. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Having noted that it was in your advertisement in MRJ 306, I was wondering when it would get a mention on here. Looking forward to your formal announcement on publication and a well done to Matt.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

This getting ridiculous, I only collected 306 last week, what has happened to the 4week/6 week/2 month/sometime never schedule, it's taken all the fun out of MRJ!!

Mike.

I know what you mean, but I'm not complaining!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Having noted that it was in your advertisement in MRJ 306, I was wondering when it would get a mention on here. Looking forward to your formal announcement on publication and a well done to Matt.

Thank you Mike, and for your assistance with Matt's researches too, much appreciated.

Matt has done so much work and research over the years, it is really nice to be part of getting everything he has achieved into print.

We are both looking forward to everyone's reaction once the book is out!

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now arrived here - with renewal reminder insert. I'm sure it was only the other day I wrote a cheque for four issues. Really they need to go back to annual subscriptions...

Karl Crowther's review of the Jim Richards book politely ignores the blunder in the title!

Paul Karau mentions the book in his editorial, in language which I think no longer reflects the tenor of the hobby, or perhaps even the magazine readership: "As many of these vehicles survived into the mid 1950s, when they were very faded and dilapidated, they are very much part of the scene that so many of us are busy recreating." [My emphasis.] 

He closes, though, with a very sensible observation, Karl Crowther having noted and regretted the lack of dates for the sketches in the book: "In my own post-nationalisation era pooled wagons allow an unrestricted choice but not if the owner went out of business in let's say 1930".

I am much taken with Chris Cox's method of producing bespoke brick arches from brick embossed Plastikard. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2024 at 15:50, Enterprisingwestern said:

I only collected 306 last week, what has happened to the 4week/6 week/2 month/sometime never schedule, it's taken all the fun out of MRJ!!

305 came out on  4th July, 306 came out on 22nd August, 307 on 3rd October, 305 to 306 gap seven weeks, 306 ton 307 six weeks. Can they squeeze two more in this year, or will it be the Christmas edition?

That's where our energies should lie, guessing when next, rather than expecting irregularity.. :)

Having said that, sometimes is better than not at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is a shame that a track plan of Conyer Creek could not be included. There is a reference to the overall dimensions of the layout, but after that we are left to work out the relative positions of the images and how it all links fits in the space. I know that some think that track plans are something found in the mainstream magazines, but I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to see how it all hangs together.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wessy said:

It is a shame that a track plan of Conyer Creek could not be included. There is a reference to the overall dimensions of the layout, but after that we are left to work out the relative positions of the images and how it all links fits in the space. I know that some think that track plans are something found in the mainstream magazines, but I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to see how it all hangs together.

Hairshirt or trackplan, the choice is yours!!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2024 at 16:39, NHY 581 said:

Dear Simon,

Please accept my grateful thanks for allowing me the opportunity to not only look to order '307 from you but to settle down and see what book I never knew I needed until this point I can add to the order............

Easily Led of Cardiff. 

Order placed for #307........plus a modest addition to the library that I never knew I needed.......

Rob

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Audens Pledge said:

I've never seen this magazine before- is it not available in shops?

I bought issue No. 1 in WHSmiths in 1985. I soon became a subscriber but as far as I'm aware it has always been in WHSmiths. 

Edited by Compound2632
Publication date of No. 1 checked!
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

I bought issue No. 1 in WHSmiths in 1986 - I think - or round about then. I soon became a subscriber but as far as I'm aware it has always been in WHSmiths. 

Wonderful! I don't often buy magazines (most of my modelling fund goes to models 🤯) but when I do, I get them mostly from WH Smiths, so I'll keep an eye for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Audens Pledge said:

It’s generally available in WHS along with the odd few model shops but has never been as widely circulated as the mainstream mags. I always get mine from WHS simply to ensure they continue to carry it. I know they often suffer criticism quite a bit in the media but stock more magazines than other outlets such as the supermarkets.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Audens Pledge said:

I've been lucky as my local newsagent stocks it.

They have a good selection of railway titles so either the newsagent is an enthusiast or the ones they regularly stock sell well!

• Like 1