Pont Briwet model?

Has anyone ever tried to model the old timber road rail toll bridge at Pont Briwet between Llandecwyn and Penrhyndeudraeth?  It’s something I remember from childhood holidays in North Wales in the 1970’s. 

Travelling over the bridge and seeing class 25’s waiting in the yard at Penrhyn probably with GPV’s in tow. 

I was considering a model of it. There is an archaeological report out there and a photographic survey of the structure for a good start, and there should be a full survey in the Coflein archive in Aberystwyth. I wondered has anyone ever tried reproducing it before?

Ian

• Like 1

Don't think anyon'es tried a prototypical model of Pont Briwet, but a few generic models have been made of Cambrian timber bridges. There was an article with drawings and dimensions once published, I can't remember where but I have scans if you woudl like me to send thm over. 

• Thanks 1

I’m planning a model of Penrhydeudraeth in 4mm, and am considering adding in a representation of Pont Briwet, though space will only allow for about half scale length.  I’d also be interested in any information anyone can share.  I found on line an article where a 3D model of the original structure was prepared ahead of it being replaced.  I might yet try and see if I can get access to it.

Chris

21 hours ago, ChrisMitchell said:

I’m planning a model of Penrhydeudraeth in 4mm, and am considering adding in a representation of Pont Briwet, though space will only allow for about half scale length.  I’d also be interested in any information anyone can share.  I found on line an article where a 3D model of the original structure was prepared ahead of it being replaced.  I might yet try and see if I can get access to it.

Chris

PM me your email address and I'll send you over the timber bridge article scans if you want. They were in a HMRS journal. 

• RMweb Gold

Great model.  

I have fond memories of crossing the original Pont Briwet both by car and by train on a family caravan holiday in Tal-y-bont in 1973.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

On 02/10/2024 at 12:28, Darius43 said:

I have fond memories of crossing the original Pont Briwet both by car and by train on a family caravan holiday in Tal-y-bont in 1973.

Cheers

Darius

Likewise. Crossing the bridge. Stuck in traffic trying to get across the bridge. Several times there were goods trains waiting to cross the bridge. My memory wants to tell me I was on the bridge when a DMU went over towards Barmouth.

Ian