What is this???

Tennessee Jones

It’s a wound-field motor, as opposed to permanent magnet, and from the look of it I’d guess early post-war, which might point at something like Trix, or Maerklin as a source, but I also suspect that it’s a commercial product massively modified, so it might have started life with a permanent magnet.

Edited by Nearholmer

I love this forum! Thanks for all the replies. The motor sort of resembles a Romford Phantom but it's not. And yes it does look like it has seven poles. Maybe a Zenith? I dont understand how it could have ever run on a track as parts of the chassis seem to extend below the track line. However maybe that's just an illusion caused by the angle that the photograph was taken. 

I do remember a reference to Trix in the item description so maybe Trix-based.   Cheers.

The overall construction is very intriguing. I think that the motor side-plates form the main structural member, and that there is a sub-frame to support each axle. Also, does that hole in one buffer beam support a lamp-holder, or could it be a tiny solenoid to operate a coupler? I can see something that looks as if it’s got wires to it, which possibly is meant to fit into the hole.

Have you bought this contraption - I do hope so.

What a wonderful object! Someone has taken so much trouble with this. Possibly a loco was made purely from what was available in limiting circumstances.

The buffer beams, as has been mentioned, look like they barely clear the rails. Yes- that does look like a bulb socket where the opposite end coupling might logically be- but yes- it could also be for an automatic coupler of some kind.

I suspect the buffers are Tri-ang too- and maybe the wheels, with every other spoke sawn out?

The axles indeed have no frame joining them.

It has the feel of a very early 0-16.5 narrow gauge job- but very robust and maybe intended for some serious prolonged running on some kind of industrial exhibition diorama?

A superb addition to a Cabinet of Curiosities!

11 minutes ago, Johnson044 said:

maybe intended for some serious prolonged running on some kind of industrial exhibition diorama?

That thought struck me too. The standard of workmanship is very high, and suggests a professional craftsman.

Being wound-field it would be unidirectional, unless a reverser is included somewhere on it, and I’m thinking something like an NCB mine diorama with a continuous loop of track.

Edited by Nearholmer

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

That thought struck me too. The standard of workmanship is very high, and suggests a professional craftsman.

Being wound-field it would be unidirectional, unless a reverser is included somewhere on it, and I’m thinking something like an NCB mine diorama with a continuous loop of track.

Being unidirectional works with that being a headlight bulb holder - which the more I look at it, I think it is.

• Agree 1