Come on Ivor!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2024 at 12:00, rapidoandy said:

"Not very long ago, in the top left-hand corner of Wales, there was a railway.  It wasn't a very long railway or a very important railway, but it was called The Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited, and it was all there was.

And in a shed, in a siding at the end of the railway, lives the Locomotive of the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited, which was a long name for a little engine so his friends just called him Ivor."

Which all seems to suggest that Ivor was the only loco, so the M&LRT Co Ltd. was presumably run under One Engine In Steam, so what was the point of Owen The Signal?

Andi

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Also, Ivor may have been the only steam locomotive but he was not the only item of motive power. There was also Juggernaut and Bluebell.

Besides, which self-respecting train driver would change the points themselves, when they could have a signalman to swear at?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

"Bluebell the Donkey

A donkey who lives at Mrs Porty's house. She cannot talk, but she and Ivor just enjoy sitting around together. As the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited has only one locomotive (apart from the short service of Juggernaut), Bluebell is sometimes called upon to provide motive power. Examples include the towing by chain of the broken down locomotive Juggernaut and also the pulling of Mrs Porty's donkey cart when this was temporarily set on the railway tracks to pursue 'robbers' when Ivor had been 'stolen' in the episode The Lost Engine; in this latter case, like a locomotive, Bluebell strictly observed the railway signals, halting the chase until Owen the Signal had raised the signal arm."

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2024 at 14:28, Harlequin said:

@rapidoandy @RapidoJamie A huge part of the charm of Ivor the Engine is Peter Firmin's handmade artwork. Even more so today compared to the CGI perfection we see everywhere.

Will you be able to reproduce any of that original feeling in the paint scheme and livery?

I've been thinking more about this.

I would like to see black outlines, some cross-hatching, hand painted (style) lining and the watercolour textures of the original artwork on the model. That would be quite different to the clean CAD renders we've seen so far so it could be quite a controversial thing for Rapido to do!

Maybe I should do it myself as "weathering".

Still thinking...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

I was thinking about getting the sound version, and then I thought.

Pssssh-t-cou is so indelibly etched in my memory I don't really need it.

The noises one makes oneself are always so much more satisfying, in one's own mind at least, if not in those of any innocent bystanders.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

10 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

I was thinking about getting the sound version, and then I thought.

Pssssh-t-cou is so indelibly etched in my memory I don't really need it... it would save me about 90 quid or $120  ;) 

Ian

Conversely, for me, the sound is such an important element of my memories of watching Ivor as a child that I simply had to go for the sound equipped version.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I know I've ordered the sound version, I know it'll be making authentic noises... But I also know that I'll not be alone in pshh-te-kuffing along with it...

Here's my question: is there an official spelling for the chuff-chuff noise?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

According to Oliver Postgate's autobiography (an excellent read, totally recommended) it's "psst-kof." Apparently that's also how it was spelt in the scripts.

It always sounded like psss-t-koff to me....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/09/2024 at 10:38, Compound2632 said:

The noises one makes oneself are always so much more satisfying, in one's own mind at least, if not in those of any innocent bystanders.

You can do the chuffs, but can you also do the music?  No Smallfilms production is complete without it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

You can do the chuffs, but can you also do the music?  No Smallfilms production is complete without it.

It's probably not the music you are thinking of, but one piece I have long wondered about is the song the choir were singing when Idris first appeared. Some time ago I tried searching for it in likely songbooks and using tune search engines, without success. Watching the episode on YouTube recently (coincidentally, the day before the Rapido announcement), there were a couple of comments suggesting that Oliver Postgate wrote it himself.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It's probably not the music you are thinking of, but one piece I have long wondered about is the song the choir were singing when Idris first appeared. Some time ago I tried searching for it in likely songbooks and using tune search engines, without success. Watching the episode on YouTube recently (coincidentally, the day before the Rapido announcement), there were a couple of comments suggesting that Oliver Postgate wrote it himself.

If so, it is a perfect pastiche of a traditional song set for small choir.  All the music in their films was of very high quality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hiesler said:

You see... Eight spokes! 😅

Now just imagine a conversion from tender engine to tank (as with the Furness 0-4-0s) and Ivor becomes quite plausible.

When are people going to start back-converting the Ivor chassis to S&D 41?

• Like 3