Come on Ivor!

rapidoandy

6 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Ah, but this isn't an illustration but a model locomotive. And the original model "Thomas" was what I was referring to.

Presumably it was Reginald Payne who actually chose an E2. The description of Thomas in the books doesn't suggest it—do we actually know that Wilbert Awdry asked for an E2, or alternatively chose it from samples? Just thinking of the comparison between Sidney Paget's depiction of Sherlock Holmes wearing a deerstalker, which differs from his description in Conan Doyle's books…

According to various sources it was effectively a joint decision between Awdry and Payne. Awdry wanted the illustrations of all the locos to be based on real ones, and an E2 was similar enough to Awdry's own initial sketches (which in turn differ from the original wooden toy).

Awdry also built his own OO layout of various Sodor lines, revisiting a project he'd started as a child but then abandoned. On that model, Thomas was also an E2. But the locos on the layout didn't have faces - this was his own Thomas:

thomastable.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Modelrailwayquest said:

This Morning, I interviewed the 21 year old designer, Jamie at Rapido and general manager Andy about Ivor

I hope what’s lurking on Jamie’s desk is inspiration for future models 😉

TT connection but not TT! 🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's very naive to ask, let alone expect an answer to, such a question in public.

17 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Without presuming too much, perhaps the question was meant rhetorically.

The question was intended rhetorically, as I felt I needed a third point. Perhaps I should have used an emoji to illustrate that. The other two questions were genuine.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, MarkSG said:

... On that model, Thomas was also an E2. But the locos on the layout didn't have faces - this was his own Thomas:

thomastable.jpg

If that's an E2, I'm a soup dragon ! ................................................................. though I must admit it seems to have the right number of wheels.

In regards to the discussion of the real Thomas, here are my thoughts.

Thomas.png.f55586d1ede5e652858d9a8ef4a112e3.png

This is Awdry's original wooden model, made for his son. Some claim it to be a J50, others (me included) see it as a Hudswell Clarke design, such as the one below. Either way, it's likely not based on a real prototype, but Awdry's original drawings match this.

Thomas.png.ce26d63803cbb0a5fb04eac9f1c85c34.png

As for his electric OO models, these were made with the concept of Thomas being an E2 (or E2-esque) as depicted in the illustrations.

Thomas.png.5701e223509f64f00c618585cdee4ec6.png

From right to left: Mk1, which is a Stewart Reidpath kit, Mk2, which is a Tri-ang Jinty, and finally Mk3, which is a Hornby E2.

The E2 basis was very much the invention of the artist, not Awdry. He just rolled with it.

(Images are NOT mine)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2024 at 09:03, Ben B said:

Do you think we could interest Jason et al with the monorail from Thunderbirds next year? 

Not quite the same but BBC local news for Derbyshire today features a Monorail built by Alstom in Derby for a new line in Cairo - looks very modern with ancient buildings in the background.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crej7n43we8o

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, it wasn't until the 80s that Awdry modelled Thomas as an E2 to match the books. His earlier models were far more in keeping with what Thomas probably should have been.

Although what any of this has to do with Ivor I'm not sure 😄

10 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Not quite the same but BBC local news for Derbyshire today features a Monorail built by Alstom in Derby for a new line in Cairo - looks very modern with ancient buildings in the background.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crej7n43we8o

Or the monorail in Springfield (not the one in the news) in the Simpsons.

• Like 2

Ninky Nonk next please, Oh and a sound fitted Pinky Ponk would please the kids (here on RMweb !!!!).

p07tm275.jpg

And an Iggle Piggle or two !!

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Ninky Nonk next please, Oh and a sound fitted Pinky Ponk would please the kids (here on RMweb !!!!).

p07tm275.jpg

Brit15

Also requires a dose or two of the white powder/magic mushrooms/mind altering substance that the makers were on whilst making it.

My granddaughter loved it, but it made my teeth itch what some of the characters got up to!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, locoholic said:

My only reservation with this project is the 2D figures - I personally would MUCH prefer 3D figures to go with what is now, after all, a 3D locomotive and rolling stock. Perhaps 3D figures could be marketed separately?

While Modelu could no doubt produce them for Rapido as they did with the Titfield set you’d probably need to find someone to sculpt the figures first as they have quite distinct proportions. Possibly they could find someone of similar build for a close enough but Idris is going to be fun 😉

Ben made 2D figures work rather well,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

p07tm275.jpg

Brit15

That's one I could very easily resist. I swear that program sets back infant vocabulary by an awful lot.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

That's one I could very easily resist. I swear that program sets back infant vocabulary by an awful lot.

But without it we wouldn't have the epithet "TubbyDuff" and the world would be a poorer place😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

I guess the number of modellers who remember the original at Battersea may be too few to make it economic.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure the work of Emett has continued to be well known. I went to an exhibition a few years ago of Emett machines and it was very busy with people of all ages.

Plus Smallbrook Studios have been doing their range of garden scale Emett kits for quite a few years. I reckon it would sell, but designing it to work well in OO could be interesting 😉

Edited by Fair Oak Junction

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I may regret flagging up this line of thought.

Peter didn't like his work being likened to Emett, he felt he was more Heath Robinson...

I’ve gone all weak the knees at the thought 😆

• RMweb Premium
On 18/09/2024 at 14:16, Mol_PMB said:

Ivor's posh 8-wheel carriage will perhaps be a future release?

Not sure the 'Evolution' range tooling will stretch quite this far!

• Funny 1

On 18/09/2024 at 13:00, willjam39 said:

Having put Ivor down in the froth section and on a previous suggestions poll i am thrilled and have pre ordered both packs. Also the thought of the sounds almost tempts me to give DCC a go! 

Where do I find these threads?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Ninky Nonk next please

my eldest (who’s now 20) was terrified by the Ninky nonk, when it was revealed which ‘vehicle’ was that episodes vehicle if it was chosen he’d run out of the room until it had gone!

we went to Alton towers a few months back and we made him go on the night garden ride where it comes from out of the hedge, I think he got PTSD when it appeared!

IMG_7329.jpeg

IMG_7330.jpeg

as for the Ivor model, I recon I’m going to order the loco and stock as, as a kid I was Ivor obsessed, especially living in the top corner of wales, I did have the Robert harrup sculpture of it that I bought in 2004 for about £70 and sold it last year for 5 times that figure as it turned out it was one of their more sought after sculptures, paid for a few more models that for sure!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

My twin daughters loved the series, and still occasionally watch it !!

They're 23 now, and both hold Masters degrees in Physics & Biology. Didn't do them any harm.

Iggle Piggle, iggle onk, we're going to catch... the Ninky Nonk !!!

Brit15

• Like 2