Come on Ivor!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ian Holmes said:

Did I see Q1 2025 release? Too late for Christmas, but just in time for my birthday…

"This range of models is in tooling and engineering samples are expected early in 2025."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I did like the idea of a railway based on a preservationist gala - with Ivor / Thunderbolt / Awdry friends (which can include "Stepney" / "Duck" / "Toby and Henrietta" / 

(snip)

Funny you should say that, now I’ve seen Rapido’s video on YouTube with Ivor alongside a GWR van, he’s definitely making an appearance on a brake van shuttle on the Low Gill, Sedbergh and Ingleton Railway (the thread, which hasn’t been updated in too long, is ‘Sedbergh, as a preserved railway’).  However, I’ve got a lot of thoughts about a roundy-roundy bit of the M&LRT Co. Ltd (which I really didn’t need either).  Such is life!

Owain

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I bet there are RMwebbers doing just that right now! And why not?

Well, I ordered a copy of the "complete" DVD immediately after pre-ordering an Ivor... 🙃

It may well be that after referring to that source material and a bit of scribbling on pieces of paper and fiddling with Anyrail, my Ivor layout (thinking R1 curves and that curious arrangement of points to the engine shed) will be ready well before Ivor arrives!

Edited by Hroth
Extra thort...
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

It will be easy to dismiss as 'only a cartoon' but I say this with genuine interest in the products:

The 6 spoke driving wheels on the Ivor render and 3D print look really weird to me. Despite continuity issues in the TV show, in the books and illustrations, including on the proposed box artwork it's usually 8 spokes. I have seen the interview where Andy mentions “bridging the world” and I feel the 6 spokes conflicts with that.
It might be partly due to where counterweights are drawn they are green rather than red.

I can't find any reference to a roof vent. All the book illustrations that show the top of the cab show no roof vent. I'm sure the opening above the bunker provides enough ventilation, and more importantly, space to view the glowing dragon egg.

Sorry to be negative. Hopefully it's seen as constructive as I grew up watching and reading Ivor stories, but my first reaction was it's not 100% there for me.

I'm already thinking about a 3D printed snow plow that clips into the front coupling pocket. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Re-watch? I'd heard of Ivor, of course, but, being a bit older and not having kids, until today had never seen a moment of it. I watched the dragon episode and quite enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing the first Ivor layout on here and at exhibitions. 

It was first made in 1958, surely you were nowt but a lad then? 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

You mean the charterers which in reality NEVER FEATURED in any of the stories and are a total fabrication created by those with smutty minds....

"Pugwash's adenoidal pronunciation of Master Mate's name" is hardly a TOTAL fabrication ................. just what those with smutty minds wanted to believe they'd heard !

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Is this the first RTR model of a Welsh standard gauge loco?

I believe it is.  If asked prior to this announcement I'd have suggested one of the Taff Vale or Rhymney's home-grown products, but the top left-hand cornerr has won out.  The only possible South Walian input would be the steam crane from Pontypool Road...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Although I can't recall any of the tv shows stating where Ivor was built; we might assume him to have been built locally by the M&LRTC, but it is just as likely that he was outsourced and, horror of horrors, is actually English!!!

No, surely not, I refuse to believe it!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

'Oh, toy trains is it?' Said Dai as he looked over Jones' shoulder as he read the Rapido announcement for the fourteenth time that morning. Jones pulled the lever on the side of his steam powered computer and another image came into view. 'Look at this Dai, they've really captured your likeness!'

'I dare say' grumbled Dai, 'but that doesn't change the fact that there's still a load of coal waiting to go to Grumbly and another new hat for Mrs Porty. You'd best get on with it or head office will have you removed from the box!'

What a fantastic announcement! The domestic authorities have already suggested one as a fourth birthday present for Seb next year, which I'll have to try not to be too jealous of, at least it'll be in the house and on my railway! Of course, it'll be the sound version!

He already renacts Thomas stories on 'his' corner of my layout, so I'm sure that trips to Smoke Hill and sojourns down the siding at Grumbly for choir practise will be on the cards.

'Land of My Fathers, from the top, if you please'!

Diolch 

J

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

18 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

My little boy (2) has just got into Ivor, I think he likes the absence of bright colours and loud noises (or maybe that’s just me). They are still very sweet and calming for a small model railway fan.

My sister (who lives on Anglesey) had been having a bit of bother with her 2 year old constantly wanting to watch videos with diggers, jcb's and things whilst we were visiting over the summer (to be fair they live beside a farm, and there's always tractors and diggers passing).  Whilst we were watching him one afternoon, I cycled through various progs me and her watched as 80's kids, and after the likes of Bagpuss were well received, I put Ivor on.  Little Harry loves it, it's incredibly calming on him (I agree entirely about your point with the muted colours and things).  Plus, my sister reckons that as an Anglesey native he's finding the Welsh accents soothing too, which is something I'd not even considered when I put it on :)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, 41516 said:

Ah, heck, I'm not normally a RTR person but this might make an exception. 

It slightly amazed me that the revival of the Clangers and the goodwill generated with now nicely* that turned out didn't lead to a Noggin project. Parents around the world were deep into Games of Thrones at the time.

* Lovely for young children but missing all little bits of bite that run through the original. I wouldn't want to live in 1970s stock footage New York either, Major Clanger.....

I loved the Clangers revival; watching it with my youngest became a ritual, and a really happy memory for me (and her- she still has the whistling/lullaby playing Tiny Clanger doll that she couldn't do without at night until she was about 7).  I appreciated the fact that it was shot with traditional methods too, rather than going down the CGI or Flash Animation route.  I'd class the revival of "Dangermouse" in there too, as that was brilliant, fast paced, and very sharply written too.

Wasn't there talk about a new Ivor series, pre-Covid?  I heard rumours of either stop motion miniatures or even a mix with live-action, with mentions of a replica being built to film on one of the preserved lines. I'll have to look for the original press release I read it on back at the time I was doing my clockwork Ivor layout in 2020...

• Like 3

What a great idea. Brings back many memories. however a point of pedantry -- "The animations were created using cut-out painted cardboard items held together with pins and Blutack."  Blutack wasn't released on the general public until 1970 so I doubt they were using it in 1959 though it may have been used when they colorised the black and white episodes in the 70's.

Graeme

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Although I can't recall any of the tv shows stating where Ivor was built; we might assume him to have been built locally by the M&LRTC, but it is just as likely that he was outsourced and, horror of horrors, is actually English!!!

On a similar note I like the fact Rapido have given the wagons builders plates on the solebars. Can't wait to see the fun they've had with those, and where exactly the wagons were built 😉

And yes I'll never accept Ivor as anything but home built Welsh 😄

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

I loved the Clangers revival; watching it with my youngest became a ritual,

My wife recently discovered Pogle's Wood on Youtube. She tried to get our grandkids to watch it with her but they're more interested in their bl**dy phones.

Graeme

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

On a similar note I like the fact Rapido have given the wagons builders plates on the solebars. Can't wait to see the fun they've had with those, and where exactly the wagons were built 😉

The high res images on the Rapido website reveal:

"Clanger & Sons <unreadable>"

Iron Chicken Works

Wagon Builders

😄

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, jacko said:

My wife recently discovered Pogle's Wood on Youtube. She tried to get our grandkids to watch it with her but they're more interested in their bl**dy phones.

Graeme

We made a deliberate decision to withhold phones with our three until they hit Secondary School, which admittedly became trickier and trickier when their mates had phones from age 5 or 6. The whole 90's-style upbringing did them some good though we reckon.  Our three ended up growing up with classic kids telly like Ivor and Bagpuss :)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

The high res images on the Rapido website reveal:

"Clanger & Sons <unreadable>"

Iron Chicken Works

Wagon Builders

😄

That's what I'm liking with this- it's not just a cash-grab, this is work that's clearly being done by fans, for fans :)

Do you think we could interest Jason et al with the monorail from Thunderbirds next year? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Perhaps Ivor was a one-off, commisioned by the M&LRTC from Sentinel in Shrewsbury?  Only just over the border!  (paid for by cheques and postal orders...)

• Like 1

"Mae'r Ysgrifennydd Gwladol dros Rheilffyrdd Enghreifftiol yn y Senedd wedi dyfarnu y bydd pob model o'r fath a fewnforiwyd i'w defnyddio yn y gornel chwith uchaf - neu unrhyw ran arall - o Gymru yn cael eu labelu'n gywir fel IFOR yn lle'r fersiwn Seisnigedig hyd yma arfaethedig - nid yw cosbau am fewnforio modelau gwallus wedi'u pennu eto." - sgd Ifor Maentw

Roughly translated as “The Secretary of State for Model Railways at the Senedd has decreed that all such models imported for use in the top left corner – or any other part – of Wales shall be labelled correctly as IFOR in place of the anglicized version thus far proposed – penalties for importing erroneous models have yet to be determined.”

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Prefer Noggin the Nog personally.

Mike.

I was rather surprised to hear the opening music from Noggin the Nog played on Radio 3 one morning last week. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1