Come on Ivor!

rapidoandy

I am going to have to continue with my scratch build as I have the chassis bits and 3 bodies roughly made, but maybe Santa may consider me nice in December?

Any chance of a mk1 Ivor, before Mr Morgan gave him his 3 note whistle? 

Ivor_in_the_Shed_-_1958.jpg

Edited by Andy Mann
Add image
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Ivor meets blue Diesels when they go to Merioneth, one of which is clearly based on a Western.

Ivor.png.8174a3630c6e7668c3b115d95a751505.png

Andi

The diesel on the left looks worryingly like the Fell. I know there are mixed feelings about that beast!

Ivor's posh 8-wheel carriage will perhaps be a future release?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Ivor meets blue Diesels when they go to Merioneth, one of which is clearly based on a Western.

Ivor.png.8174a3630c6e7668c3b115d95a751505.png

There's some retconning going on in that image, though. The original of that episode was part of the original early 1959 ITV run, long before blue diesels. But the first set of episodes in monochrome were remade in colour for the subsequent BBC transmissions in the mid 1970s. So the main line locos at Merioneth were given appropriate-to-the-70s liveries, despite that not fitting the original storyline (and, in the 1970s, the presence of a black steam loco at the back would have been an anachronism).

So I'm sticking with era 4 as the most plausible timescale, although of course as an independent railway the MLRTC could well have lasted into the 70s 🙂

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Though most innovative there is a problem; what era is the model? Is it pre grouping Welsh, sixties end of steam, early preservation era? I think we need to know.

Well, if we're going off production dates-and for once I mean television, not manufacturing!:
Era 7 (1975–1977), but can be backdated to Era 5 (1959) if painted in black and white.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

38 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

The diesel on the left looks worryingly like the Fell. I know there are mixed feelings about that beast!

Looks more like a Class 17 to me.

Ivor's posh 8-wheel carriage will perhaps be a future release?

Got to keep something back for a future announcement!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Well, I'm on the fence about buying a set myself...

However, congratulations to Rapido here.  A cartoon full of charm, it is bound to a best seller just on nostalgia alone.  A single prototype it may be, but it's been shown in the past that such restrictions as 'Did it even exist?' are no hurdle in this hobby.  Great for the adults, great for the kids, and as mentioned before...the smaller production has seen it's integrity preserved and not ruined by modern CGI twists (or dare I mention, another 'kids' train programme which has went entirely 2d but now features engines using their wheels as effective limbs among other departures from it's initial intentions....).

Okay, may have slowly talked myself into a purchase there too... 😅

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can think of all sorts of interesting things I could do with thse wagon underframes as a seperate item.

I now just want to buy Ivor and build his engine shed, which I've always rather loved.  

image.png.321320d13b3eff608a3bbc5b27ae29b2.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Shout out for Chigley!

"Interestingly Jason had never come across Ivor (same as Titfield) until I sat him down in the office last year and made him watch an episode!'"

Sit him down and make him watch Chigley.

Bessie, Lord Belborough and Brackett.  Treddle's Wharf and Farthing's Chigley Pottery as resin rtp buildings. Not forgetting Cresswell's Chigley Biscuits. Trumptonshire has a plethora of modellable scenes.

As discussed with a friend on the phone earlier. The whole Trumpton/Camberwick Green/Chigley has obviously had some bearing on my interests since watching them as a child.

I can remember loads of things about them, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday

Also clearly influenced somebody behind Life on Mars...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As an American, Ivor has no nostalgia value for me, although, as a business decision, this will be a winner for Rapido.  About that coal car, however. While it's not being sold as a separate item, I could use four or five as a substitute for Hudson tippers to carry colliery waste to the tip.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wrong scale*, but how can I not? Hope you're doing Bluebell too. Ivor did run alongside the Skarloey railway didn't he?

It'd be great if you could get the shading on the livery to match the program's artwork. If you can manage teak then surely the factory is up for another challenge?

*one in N Gauge would be super nice though!

Any chance of The Juggernaut for when Ivor's away with the circus?

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 3

I've just had another idea for a layout. If we go for the 1950s timeline for Ivor, then as well as Thunderbolt it's also the same era as the original Railway Series books.

So... set a layout in the late 1950s (or possibly early 1960s)  at a station, possibly at a very early heritage railway, which is hosting a steam gala. The twist being that this is an alternate universe where things that we know from fiction are actually real. In which case, among the visiting locos and trains at the gala we will see Ivor, followed by Thunderbolt. And then, a blue LBSC E2. Not with a face on - that's just for the books - but as it would have been in real life if the Sodor North Western Railway really existed.

For this to work, of course, what we need is an E2 up to the same standard as Thunderbolt/Lion and the forthcoming Ivor. Which, unfortunately, doesn't exist. Hornby have a very basic Railroad E2, which is essentially their previous Thomas defaced and painted green instead of blue. But that's nowhere near current RTR standards. So maybe this is something else that can go onto the wish/froth list.

(I'm still trying to work out how to shoehorn the Railway Children and the Hogwarts Express into my scenario, but we can sort that out later).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In the 1950s I don't think Thomas was an E2 — that didn't happen until the Hornby model was introduced. He was originally a Stewart-Reidpath "generic" 0-6-0T to start with…

It all depends on which part of Thomas' history you class as "real"…

• Like 1