Come on Ivor!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh this is where the "fun" begins.

Oh, I don't know...

Just wait until people have their hands on them and all the whinging, angst and general tedium regarding DCC chips and settings sets in.

• Funny 3

1 minute ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

We have had an excellent kit in 4mm and 7mm for Ivor by PH Designs. The 4mm one can also be built for EM and P4.

There is a free download on Thingiverse for a body that uses Bachmann Thomas parts to make a chassis, which can be sourced from Bachmann UK now IIRC.

There’s a card/resin Garden Railway kit, although the delightful Ivor resin money boxes at preserved railway gift shops can make for a decent 16mm scaled one.

The thing is, none of those are going to be bought by anyone other than dedicated modellers (well, the money box might, but that's not going to be converted into a working model by anyone other than a dedicated modeller).

An RTR Ivor, on the other hand, will sell into the same demographic as Titfield and, to some extent, Thomas - that is, people who just like playing trains. The kind of people who pick up a train set on a whim when visiting the shop at a preserved railway, or see something they like in a toy shop and buy it. Or people who aren't necessarily into trains themselves all that much, but have a nostalgic interest in TV and movies.

If you're going to get sniffy about a "finescale" manufacturer like Rapido dipping into territory more normally occupied by Hornby and Kader, then I think you're missing the point. Model railways can be fun, too, and there's no need to wear the hair shirt in order to enjoy them.

My kids have got a Hornby "Santa Express" train set that I bought them a few years ago. It generally gets wheeled out once a year now to run round the Christmas tree. We've also got a Hornby "Bartello's Circus" set, and a  Toy Story train pack.  I've been wondering for a while what do to with my Titfield set, given that it doesn't really fit at all (and couldn't possibly fit at all) with my current main project.

So, I've half a mind (which is probably all I need in this case) to buy myself a standard 6x4  train set baseboard and do a simple, single-track roundy-roundy on it, no treatment other than track and scenery, just to run "fun" trains like the ones we've already got and the one I suspect I will be acquiring when Ivor hits the shelves. I might even set it up as an "operate from the front" layout and take it along to shows (if they'll have me) for kids to play with. I might even have more fun doing that than I get from working on my model of a 1950s rural East Anglian branch line.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh, I don't know...

Just wait until people have their hands on them and all the whinging, angst and general tedium regarding DCC chips and settings sets in.

You missed out re-gauging😇

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Some of us have a similar reaction to more panniers 😆

Not to worry - you share that feeling with one of the GWR's Directors.  So Mr Hawksworth went away and came up with a couple of panniers that looked quite a bit different from what had gone before no doubt in the hope that the Directors wouldn't notice that they were still panniers..

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Stop press: Hornby to announce new ‘Trains on Telly’ range… …still probably too soon and close to the bone to make that joke but alas 😬 

In a somewhat more serious reaction whilst I think Ivor was a bit before my time it’s nice to see designers and manufacturers can have some fun and make a decent model by the looks of it too. I suspect to see the sales very heavily weighted towards the sound versions!

Also is this not the first Rapido UK model with a stay alive pre-fitted - either way it bodes well for future more and less serious products alike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, E100 said:

Stop press: Hornby to announce new ‘Trains on Telly’ range… …still probably too soon and close to the bone to make that joke but alas 😬 

"Inspired by the top left-hand corner of Wales"😉

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Serious question and a major problem for some of us...

What DCC address do you give to a loco that never had a number???

Andi

For Met 1, I used the year it was made.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oh this is adorable.

Despite compassing my bankruptcy with Manning Wardles amongst other things, how can I sensibly resist? I grew up on Ivor books and the TV animation. 

On second thoughts, though, I think I'm just going to wait for the Hornby version....

HornbyIvor1.jpg.7f04bb821c5b251ff6406673efebb12f.jpg

Nah - don't think they will try the "inspired by"  route again...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

You missed out re-gauging😇

What gauge was Ivor? Will we see a P4 conversion or should people be aiming to represent a narrower gauge?

For example, the Nantlle Railway was 3'6" and Padarn was 4'0".

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

4867 because it spells IVOR on an old style phone keypad 😉

I think the number should be 4018:

IV - Roman number 4

O - Letter O to number 0

R - 18th letter of the alphabet.

Perhaps, on second thoughts, R is reproduction number: the average number of people that one person with a particular disease infects. That probably translates as the number of people I can persuade to buy an Ivor!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

23 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh this is where the "fun" begins. In some scenes it has 8 others 6. Wagons sometimes have outside axleboxes, others inside (and they change in the same episode).

Its been a lot of fun 'researching' and then having to make the decisions about how we do things. Taking it from 2D to 3D has been fun.

A great opportunity for Rapido then! Do the first batch as 'Original Ivor' and the second as 'Rebuilt Ivor'!

• Funny 3

7 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

If you're going to get sniffy about a "finescale" manufacturer like Rapido dipping into territory more normally occupied by Hornby and Kader, then I think you're missing the point. Model railways can be fun, too, and there's no need to wear the hair shirt in order to enjoy them.

I’ve yet to see anyone getting “sniffy” about Rapido doing such things and I hope that it works out well for them, I can see the efforts that have gone into making this happen and it’s the same high quality as always.

In regard to Hornby and Kader, I don’t think you can compare. Hornby produced sets like Thomas, Toy Story, Harry Potter etc where there is a large audience for such things in the general public.

The Hornby Harry Potter and Thomas items have also been adapted by Marklin for the European market.

Bachmann have managed to do well with the Thomas range, offering models in N, OO and G scale. They have also offered Harry Potter, Underground Ernie and Chuggington items in the past.

The difference I see compared to any of the above is all of the Bachmann and Hornby efforts have been toys, whereas this is a scale replica based around the stills from the show. It’s definitely not a toy and I wonder if some will overlook it for it for that, glad to hear that preorders are coming in left right and centre.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

What gauge was Ivor? Will we see a P4 conversion or should people be aiming to represent a narrower gauge?

For example, the Nantlle Railway was 3'6" and Padarn was 4'0".

Standard gauge, he visits the works in one story running on the mainline 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

I loved Ivor as a kid! Trying to think whether this is OO or closer NG7... 

And it is also turning me into a Gollum!

"We needs the precious Ivor.... take the precious Ivor"

"But it does not fit the railway"

"You wants it, you needs it.."

"No no no thinks of the money we can use elsewhere"

"wants it, needs its, takes it"

• Like 5