Come on Ivor!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

Well, I don’t think any of us were expecting that. Excuse me, I just have to go and order… some things.

Considering the poll results in recent years some of us were hoping they would 😉

I’m sure someone will be along to say they saw them measuring him up at Llantisilly shed last year. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

If this is meant to be a test of my sense of humour, then I've failed miserably.

I like Oliver Postgate as much as the next person, but this would have been better in Brio, or Lego, or something else.

Bet it's got a coreless motor, too...

Go on then, everyone, tell me not be such a miserable old sod, I really don't care by now.

I’m sort of agreeing with you on the grounds that whilst I can’t deny this project is a good one and you can tell Rapido have put time and effort into it, I wonder how much of a market exists for Ivor.

We have had an excellent kit in 4mm and 7mm for Ivor by PH Designs. The 4mm one can also be built for EM and P4.

There is a free download on Thingiverse for a body that uses Bachmann Thomas parts to make a chassis, which can be sourced from Bachmann UK now IIRC.

There’s a card/resin Garden Railway kit, although the delightful Ivor resin money boxes at preserved railway gift shops can make for a decent 16mm scaled one.

I’d be more wary of the rolling stock pack sales, I feel some may justify paying for the Ivor pack but may decide to not buy the pack of matching stock.

Very curious to see how this one develops.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

Well,  that's not good news for Pete Harvey 🙄

Well it’s not like he just did it, it was several years ago. I’d just completed my motorisation of a resin one two weeks ago 🫠

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Rapido staff
2 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

I’m sort of agreeing with you on the grounds that whilst I can’t deny this project is a good one and you can tell Rapido have put time and effort into it, I wonder how much of a market exists for Ivor.

We have had an excellent kit in 4mm and 7mm for Ivor by PH Designs. The 4mm one can also be built for EM and P4.

There is a free download on Thingiverse for a body that uses Bachmann Thomas parts to make a chassis, which can be sourced from Bachmann UK now IIRC.

There’s a card/resin Garden Railway kit, although the delightful Ivor resin money boxes at preserved railway gift shops can make for a decent 16mm scaled one.

I’d be more wary of the rolling stock pack sales, I feel some may justify paying for the Ivor pack but may decide to not buy the pack of matching stock.

Very curious to see how this one develops.

Well looking at the orders so far (and yes that is fairly limited but for 25 mins im amazed )- 100% of sales have included AT LEAST one rolling stock pack.

• Like 12

• Rapido staff
1 minute ago, Tramshed said:

Someone has to quibble about detail so here goes....

The original cartoon drawing clearly shows 8 spoke driving wheels but the 3D model has just 6.

....and unless it comes with an over sized teapot...I'm out! ☺️

Oh this is where the "fun" begins. In some scenes it has 8 others 6. Wagons sometimes have outside axleboxes, others inside (and they change in the same episode).

Its been a lot of fun 'researching' and then having to make the decisions about how we do things. Taking it from 2D to 3D has been fun.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

If this is meant to be a test of my sense of humour, then I've failed miserably.

I like Oliver Postgate as much as the next person, but this would have been better in Brio, or Lego, or something else.

Go on then, everyone, tell me not be such a miserable old sod, I really don't care by now.

Not a miserable old sod at all.

Just personal tastes.

The Titfield Thunderbolt packs did nothing for me.

But having grown up with Ivor ill buy anything they produce for it as I love it.

Now, will Modelu3d do some prints of the characters.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh this is where the "fun" begins. In some scenes it has 8 others 6. Wagons sometimes have outside axleboxes, others inside (and they change in the same episode).

Its been a lot of fun 'researching' and then having to make the decisions about how we do things. Taking it from 2D to 3D has been fun.

6 spoke wheels on one side and 8 spoke wheels on the other, perhaps?!?

Luke

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

Having been watching Ivor with my sons again and reading the book, I must say a huge thank you to Rapido; it really is inspired plus a new story! 

Really massive thank you. I can't wait to show them the announcment after school. I think they will lose their minds! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

Don't moan. Start thinking about how you can modify Ivor's hopper wagon into a Herring ;-)

(Actually, it's much closer to an early iron ore hopper such as those used by the North Eastern and Furness Railway)

• Like 1