Lowmac loading ramp / platform

I'm looking to include a loading ramp / platform for lowmac wagons on my ex-LSWR / LBSCR layout so that agricultural machinery can be loaded / unloaded.

However, I'm struggling to find any photos of what these looked like. A Google search just throws up photos of lowmac wagons in isolation, and I can't seem to find anything in my book collection.

If anyone has any photos of them in model form or real life then this would be most helpful. I'm not sure if there is any nuance or specific design style required for the territory I am modelling?

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

I'm looking to include a loading ramp / platform for lowmac wagons on my ex-LSWR / LBSCR layout so that agricultural machinery can be loaded / unloaded.

However, I'm struggling to find any photos of what these looked like. A Google search just throws up photos of lowmac wagons in isolation, and I can't seem to find anything in my book collection.

If anyone has any photos of them in model form or real life then this would be most helpful. I'm not sure if there is any nuance or specific design style required for the territory I am modelling?

Many thanks.

Usually a dead-end siding butting up to a raised surface - sometimes a bay platform - with a simple timber beam bufferstop.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, John Isherwood said:

Usually a dead-end siding butting up to a raised surface - sometimes a bay platform - with a simple timber beam bufferstop.

John Isherwood.

Whilst I don't about this wagon personally, but the flat smooth oblong panel just behind the buffers on some lowmac wagons was a lift out steel bridging plate for just such a situation.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Generally where end docks and loading banks were provided they were built at a greater height than passenger platforms to assist with both side and end loading. Many end loading docks had pairs of hinged metal plates which folded over where the buffers were to span the distance between the dock and the deck of the wagon.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1