Dapol N Gauge Manor - New Tool Model Announced at TINGS

Roy L S

Announced at the N Gauge Show yesterday, but as far as I can see having had no mention on this Forum was a brand new model of the Great Western Manor Class loco from Dapol.

Dapol have had a Manor in their N range previously, having taken over the Ixion Manor tooling when Ixion decided not to proceed further with N Gauge. Although designed by Ixion (Phil Badger if I recall correctly) this loco was produced for them by Dapol and followed their then established design of having motor in the tender, linked via a cardan shaft to the loco driving wheels,  a design used on every Dapol tender loco released since. 

Fast forward to 2024 and actually on display was a first EP of the new loco. Just like the already announced GW Mogul and Battle of Britain (EPs also on display) this new Manor from what was said employs a coreless motor in the loco, a Next 18 socket and speaker in the tender, and also from what I gathered, there is a firebox glow, also present in the Mogul and Manor and possibly a first for RTR steam in British N I think?

I freely admit to not being a GW modeller, but I couldn't help but be impressed by this new model which is beautifully detailed even including some etched parts. I didn't see it running yesterday, but given the similarities in mechanical design, if the Battle of Britain that was running on Dapol's display layout is anything to go by, I would think it should run equally smoothly and quietly. 

Here is a picture I took of the first EP in the display cabinet, I believe it is hoped for release towards the end of 2025.

If it is successful I wonder if a Grange might follow as I believe (but defer to other more expert in matters GW) they were essentially the same apart from the Granges bigger boiler?

Roy

20240914_132218.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Dapol have, of course, already done the "Grange" in N with their traditional mechanism,

And the Manor before it, so it looks like Dapol are refreshing the range and using better mechanisms & electrics - as nice as the GW steam engines were and I had a few, they were a bit rough sounding even if though for me quite reliable runners.

10 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Dapol have, of course, already done the "Grange" in N with their traditional mechanism,

Indeed, so I think that in time it must be a reasonable prospect that it might appear with the new loco drive and a Next 18 DCC socket/speaker in the tender. 

• RMweb Gold

This is the first EP and is subject to change & improvements once reviewed. I understand one change already planned is the split in the boiler/firebox being relocated to make it less obvious. 

dapmanora.jpg.5308de03b5d8a7233897e9ca88a90667.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Loco drive and Next18

And Firebox flicker and DCC sound if that's your thing. I am certainly planning to upgrade my 2 Manors for 3 new one;s

Edited by Ed-farms
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Wrong scale for me, but nice to see the Dapol Manors back in N scale.

It will be interesting to see what tender Barcote Manor has as she had a larger 4000g tender for most of the period when in late creat livery

Interesting, I was unaware that any Manor ran with the bigger 4000 gallon tender - every day is a school-day as they say!

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

It will be interesting to see what tender Barcote Manor has as she had a larger 4000g tender for most of the period when in late creat livery

9 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Interesting, I was unaware that any Manor ran with the bigger 4000 gallon tender - every day is a school-day as they say!

I understand the Manor is sharing the same tender as the Mogul, so it's likely to be the 3500gal tender. Rivet detailing hadn't yet been added to the tooling before the first EP sample was produced. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

7808-4000g-10jul65-small.jpg.da35cf4d30d9653e2360464bec6c80cf.jpg

7808 at Snow Hill, 10 July 1965, with a 4000g. I think a signficant reason for the larger tender was that there weren't that many operational water columns left by that date. This may have been an enthusiasts special. 7808 was one of the last surviving Manors, and was withdrawn on the last day of 1965. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

7808-4000g-10jul65-small.jpg.da35cf4d30d9653e2360464bec6c80cf.jpg

7808 at Snow Hill, 10 July 1965, with a 4000g. I think a signficant reason for the larger tender was that there weren't that many operational water columns left by that date. This may have been an enthusiasts special. 7808 was one of the last surviving Manors, and was withdrawn on the last day of 1965. 

It only acquired it late on - not sure when but here it is in my mid 1963 photo with a more fitting tender. (with which it was also paired when working railtours during that year).  It didn't get the larger tender during its time at Reading - which it left for Swindon in August 1964 - and I suspect that it might not have had it for all of its time at Gloucester (from November 1964) but I can't be certain on that latter point.

7808HYrd.jpg.de249e78416a5cdd0a780e128e9cf2c8.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2024 at 17:23, SteamingWales said:

It looks like Barcote has now been replaced with Erlestoke. 

2S-001-010  4-6-0 Erlestoke Manor 7812 Lined BR Green Late Crest

Tom. 

• Like 1