EFE Rail N Gauge D600 Warship

TomE

• RMweb Gold

It was great to sit with Richard and get a look at the both the Farish POT and the new EFE Rail D600, which I'm sure will be a popular model despite the limited number of prototypes! 

efed600aVID.jpg.7aeb294be20ae6b83978e75f2a330964.jpg

More info here

There is a second part to the video now available on YouTube where we talk about N Gauge more generally, as well as Richard's modelling interests and background! 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Well done Bachmann! I’m looking forward to running one of these through Dawlish Warren. I’ll go for an early one with no route indicator boxes; when they still ran expresses. True they will go well with Castles  and green B-B warships with no yellow panel but a king with a double chimney would be the icing on the cake.

Anyway, great news indeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Taking advantage off the R&D Kernow did for the (if I recall correctly) pretty popular OO model they did a few years back. An even shorter lived class of locos than the "Twins" in terms of time in traffic, it seems amazing that one survived until 1980 in Barry scrapyard but it didn't warrant enough attention to be saved - how times have changed. Although only a small class there are a number of livery options and being named after various warships adds further appeal and I hope they do well.

I am undecided about having one as they would have no place on the Great Central London Extension so it would be a bit of a "Rule 1". What does confuse me slightly is that there is perceived to be a market for this loco but not a Class 21/29 or a Class 23.

For those wishing to fit sound, it is worth noting that it is not pre-fitted with a speaker but there is provision for one in the fuel-tank area and solder pads provided on the PCB, that said I don't know if a sound file even exists.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So that's the full set of WR diesel hydraulic types available RTR in N - congratulations to N gaugers on finally catching up with OO!

If only I was at least two decades younger, with eyesight to match......🤓! Way too committed to OO now though.

6 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, I heard the announcement yesterday. It would be good to have the Bulleid diesels in n gauge and Southern Electrics 20001 to 20003. Thanks Fred

Considering the LMS twins having recently appeared I think just a little patience is required for the Bulleid diesels - not so sure about the Southern electrics but hey, you never know.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given that several of the OO Southern electrics are being sold at heavy discounts — and were relatively inexpensive to start with — I'd be surprised if they made an appearance in N gauge.

The OO EFE model I'd most like to see in N gauge is the O2 0-4-4T.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Given that several of the OO Southern electrics are being sold at heavy discounts — and were relatively inexpensive to start with — I'd be surprised if they made an appearance in N gauge.

The OO EFE model I'd most like to see in N gauge is the O2 0-4-4T.

Not a Well Tank...that would be nice, course I'd expect Next 18, speaker and stay alive haha.  They would be a very specific prototype and probably less well travelled than an O2.

I thought the Bulleid diesels might come before the Warship, but perhaps it's a conscious decision to pick the Warship first and then do the Bulleids last as clearly there is an appetite..  I don't think the Southern Electrics will make it to N either.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crepello said:

But did they ever meet in real life?

Even from my Northwest England what if model its tenuous but I kinda like them even with the later bug eyes.

And I want a Bulleid diesel and think I need one of these as the path to one.

Edited by woodenhead

On 14/09/2024 at 16:49, Jim T said:

didn’t know 25/3s ran on the Southern 😜

Not sure why you mentioned 25/3 but ColourRail has photos of 3 on Southern metails; 2 in the west (standing in for Cl 22's?) and, surprisingly, 1 at Clapham Junction.

I meant the Bullied 1Co-Co1 Diesels, as discussed elsewhere. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D16/2

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens

6 hours ago, Crepello said:

Yes, most likely. Soon after its formation BR chose to keep the LMS Twins and the 3 Southern diesels together to ease maintenance as they had very similar prime movers in the EE 16SVT. Initially this was on the Southern Region, latterly on the LMS where the Class 40 were being introduce using a similar prime mover.

Luke

Edit: ColourRail has a photo of 10000 and a photo of 10201 both Willsden Shed on 25/03/1961, with the photos taken by the same photographer T B Owen. That's good enough for me!!!

Edited by luke_stevens

• RMweb Premium

I was referring to Woodenhead’s original post in which he thought the D600 would be a companion for 10001. I think his razor blade suggestion is the most probable, though Old Oak Common shed wasn’t far from Willesden.

21 minutes ago, osbornsmodels said:

Woodenhead mused 

nice but there is a picture of one parked next to 18000 at Swindon. That would be a great combination to model.

It would, but Heljan have done the research on that model whereas the Warships and Bulleids were done by Kernow so more accessible to EFE.

That said Heljan did do a run of Hymeks under the EFE branding before doing their own upgrade on the Heljan branded models, so I guess never say never about the research being shared with EFE to do more diesel prototypes in N, or EFE simply starting from scratch.  Though listening to Richard Proudman in his interview by @TomE,  what sells as OK in OO might not be viable in N and that must only get harder to justify if you have to also do the research / CAD too.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Crepello said:

I very much doubt it but they probably got within a mile or so of each other when one of the LMS diesels lingered on working from Willesden at the same time that the D6XX were making occasional forays to Old Oak  

21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I very much doubt it but they probably got within a mile or so of each other when one of the LMS diesels lingered on working from Willesden at the same time that the D6XX were making occasional forays to Old Oak  

And in my imaginary model world, the LMS diesel saw out its final days in the Northwest and the Warships were in Bristol not the far south west so were able to make forays up the Welsh borders to Chester with parcels services.

• Like 2