N Gauge Class 45 and 46 - on sale now!

rapidoandy

• Rapido staff

Take a ‘peak’ at some of the most successful diesel locos of the British Railways Modernisation Plan, as Rapido Trains UK announces 2 of the most highly anticipated N Gauge locos to date! 

Class45and46lineup-v2.jpg.0f1acc169a224887d005080d3567dbca.jpg

Rapido Trains UK is proud to announce that we will be adding the other classes of BR 1Co-Co1 ‘Peaks’ to our range of N Gauge ready-to-run models, the Class 45 and Class 46 are available to pre-order now!

In much the same way as the locos were produced in real life, the development of our N Gauge Class 45 and 46 has progressed as a continuation from the Class 44. To streamline the process and save time in production, we included the research, development and tooling for all three classes when we began development of the Class 44s.

With the success of the first Type 4 diesels, Derby Works began the development of the next generation of even more powerful locomotives, the Class 45 and Class 46. These would go on to form the bulk of the Midland mainline fleet for many years.

Despite the 45s and 46s not being named after mountains as their Class 44 counterparts had been, many were honoured with the names of famed British Army Regiments, however they still retained the nickname ‘Peaks’. 

Clas45LaterLineUp-v2.jpg.5020f740726a26ce30ea3dd494755103.jpg

The Class 45 and 46s were pretty much identical to the 44s, also weighing in at around 135 tonnes and powered by a diesel power unit produced by Swiss engineering company, Sulzer. However, the newer power units produced 2500 horsepower, 200 more than their predecessors.

This led to BR placing a more substantial order of 127 locos for Class 45s, this was in fact so many that Crewe Works were drafted in to assist Derby with their construction.

The first BR Class 45 locomotive entered service in late 1960, with the class soon becoming the main loco to work out of St Pancras on the Midland mainline services, demoting the dwindling number of steam locos to cover local services or freight.

The final variant of the ‘Peak’ began production in 1961, now with Brush Electrical Equipment fitted after re-tendering for the next batch of locomotives. This tweaked peak would be known as the BR Class 46.

Externally it looked almost identical, as it had the same engine and body, however, its electrical equipment had received an upgraded generator and different traction motors. Developed by the Brush Company of Loughborough these upgrades replaced the previously used Crompton-Parkinson electrical equipment of the Class 44 and 45.

CLASS46EP1-v2.jpg.5a435afc0729bb04c19d037955591473.jpg

In total, 56 Class 46 locomotives were produced, with the last being built in 1963.

The 45s were intended to be allocated to multiple regions during their construction and this was initially the case with locomotives allocated to London Midland and Western Region sheds as well as other regions for short stints of training. They soon settled down to more regular work on Midland mainline and Western Region services. The 46s were used for more varied work, being seen on NE-SW cross-country services, long distance freights from the West Country and some Trans-Pennine services.

With Class 45s and 46s often being seen working trains to destinations across the South West and alongside the iconic trainspotting location of Dawlish it's no wonder the loco has a soft spot in many diesel enthusiasts' hearts.

With the introduction of the HSTs on the Midland mainline and Cross Country routes, as well as the introduction of Class 56s to coal traffic, the 45s were moved to the Trans-Pennine route to work passenger services across the north of the country.

The aging fleet of well-travelled ‘Peaks’ started to be withdrawn throughout the 1980s. The last of the 44s were withdrawn in 1980, the 46s in 1984, and the final 2 Class 45s soldiered on until 1989. The last ‘Peak’, No.45106, was painted into an approximation of the original BR Green livery and regularly worked the 17:50 St Pancras – Derby service as well as a number of railtours. It sealed the fate of the class after it failed at Wellingborough with a fuel leak and onboard fire, the ignition presumed to be from brake sparks while being towed 'dead', which sadly resulted in its inevitable retirement.

Class45Earlierlineup-v2.jpg.7194a2ec62337979c9d2f3ce7e82557e.jpg

Prior to retirement, the class did have one final claim to fame. No.46 009 was acquired by the BR Research department, to be used in an upcoming crash test. This famous and very public experiment would see BR test, under crash conditions, the integrity of its supposedly impenetrable Nuclear Flasks.

948-Class45-all-2.jpg.076601d5971a4b872231c405e25c4d5a.jpg

948-Class46-all-2.jpg.b757366979e4d7dfa42bafa935a3ca08.jpg

The Rapido Trains UK N Gauge BR 1Co-Co1 Class 45 and Class 46 models have been designed using a combination of archival materials and drawings.

Pre-orders are now open for both Class 45 and 46 locomotives with RRP prices held at the same as the class 44 locomotives announced earlier.

Order yours today from any Official Retailer or direct from us.

Don’t forget the orderbook for our Class 44 locomotives will close shortly – so don’t delay and order today.

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Class45and46lineup-v2.jpg.0f1acc169a224887d005080d3567dbca.jpg

Clas45LaterLineUp-v2.jpg.5020f740726a26ce30ea3dd494755103.jpg

CLASS46EP1-v2.jpg.5a435afc0729bb04c19d037955591473.jpg

Class45Earlierlineup-v2.jpg.7194a2ec62337979c9d2f3ce7e82557e.jpg

Some of the models in the first two pictures still give me some cause for concern regarding the gap between body and bogie, but the models in the bottom two look absolutely superb. I really hope those that appear to be riding high are not representative of the finished product. Perhaps @rapidoandy could comment on that? Thanks. 

• RMweb Gold

As has been said, we knew they were coming but didn't know details.

I emailed Rapido specifically asking for 45106 and Ixion, so I better put my money where my mouth is.

Will probably take 45115 too.  Now if someone would do some Trans-Pennine Mk2a's......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Having brought the 44 to RTR  for that reason I have put all my money on rapido. 44x2 (44007 and skiddaw) 45-45060 and 46- 46026 all pre-ordered less than half a hour ago along with two packs rapido oaa wagons from TMC as the majority of my stock is weathered.i really hope the 44 does well and gives you guys faith in bringing something that is not already out there to the n gauge Masse's.thank you rapido 🙂

Edited by Hamm 69

On 13/09/2024 at 13:19, The Pilotman said:

Some of the models in the first two pictures still give me some cause for concern regarding the gap between body and bogie, but the models in the bottom two look absolutely superb. I really hope those that appear to be riding high are not representative of the finished product. Perhaps @rapidoandy could comment on that? Thanks. 

I had similar misgivings after seeing the EP of the Class 44 (even to the extent of starting to look again for old Farish models to satisfy my Peak itch), but after seeing all the display models in the flesh at TINGS today, my fears have been completely allayed - they looked SUPERB (imho, of course) 👍

• Thanks 3

• Rapido staff
19 minutes ago, Pyewipe Jct said:

I had similar misgivings after seeing the EP of the Class 44 (even to the extent of starting to look again for old Farish models to satisfy my Peak itch), but after seeing all the display models in the flesh at TINGS today, my fears have been completely allayed - they looked SUPERB (imho, of course) 👍

I’m glad you like them. 

i think it’s one of those cases where a photograph really does not help the issue - especially when they are larger than life on a screen. Personally (and yes I am biased) when you see them in person they look completely different t

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Did Ixion ever haul a RTC train by itself? All the photos I've seen are either at Depot open days or being hauled in a test train with the RTC class 24.

Ixion had one traction motor disconnected from the locos engine, allowing it to be powered from a separate supply in a neighbouring coach - being used for wheel slip experiments.

Steven B

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2024 at 11:12, Steven B said:

Did Ixion ever haul a RTC train by itself? All the photos I've seen are either at Depot open days or being hauled in a test train with the RTC class 24.

Ixion had one traction motor disconnected from the locos engine, allowing it to be powered from a separate supply in a neighbouring coach - being used for wheel slip experiments.

Steven B

Can't see what's on the other end of this , but can replicate in future with a few of Rapido's offerings

97403 B

Paul Hill (40012 Aureol)

97403 ' Ixion' ( ex 46035 ) at Mickleover Research Centre on the 21 May 1989

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There’s a great photo in Hugh Dady’s book ‘British Rail in Colour No 2’, taken by Peter J Robinson of 97403 Ixion being piloted by Class 24 97201 Experiment with the tribometer test train. They’re hauling 2 lab coaches (brake ends outwards) with a VAA van in-between. All in Research livery.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2024 at 16:51, Crepello said:

There’s a great photo in Hugh Dady’s book ‘British Rail in Colour No 2’, taken by Peter J Robinson of 97403 Ixion being piloted by Class 24 97201 Experiment with the tribometer test train. They’re hauling 2 lab coaches (brake ends outwards) with a VAA van in-between. All in Research livery.

Few on Flickr too

97201,403 MCV 10-12-85

6089Gardener

A colourful scene at Manchester Victoria on 10 December 1985 as we see the RTC's 97201 and 403 on a test train.

19860325.Westhouses.975076+97403+97201.LR.ver2_filtered

Dave Peachey

Westhouses.975076+97403+97201 25th March 1986

The question was "Did Ixion ever haul a RTC train by itself?" which appears to be minimal if at all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very pleased (and along with everyone else, also not surprised!) to see the 45s and 46s enter the equation, these will be very useful for my existing and forthcoming modelling projects. Fantastic news, and they're looking excellent!

A couple of observations, if I may; 

Firstly, the 45s announced feature 12 models, of which 8 are named and one being a special, out of a class of 127 of which only 26 were actually named. Whilst I applaud the selection of liveries available, that leaves just 3 models left out of the 12 announced that can be used for renumbering, or for those of us who like 'the workhorse' rather than the celebs. This ratio seems a bit, well, off...
The Rapido webpage for the 45s shows a fantastic image of a fairly messy green small yellows D45 without a name, a fair representation of the majority of the class at the time, but there is no green small yellow panels model option that isn't named... That would be a perfect example to offer. Renumbering and adding a name is significantly easier than trying to remove one, they're almost impossible for most of us to remove without leaving a mess, I count myself within that number!
Would it be possible please @rapidoandy to either; not print the name on the bodyshells and include an etch nameplate for those who want to add it, or better still, add/change some of the offerings so that those of us who want to represent the majority of the class can get a non-namer in each livery, please?

Secondly, the image/description of D92 shows 'early blue', and a different shade has been used. This should be the same blue as all the other BR Blue locos, as it was done to the same 1965 BR spec. There are many reasons for differences in paint shades on all railway vehicles, not least due to variations in paint mixes, undercoat, weathering etc., and then there's the interpretation of that shade through photography decades later, which adds a whole new range of variables on top of that, film used, light, weather, development, and so on, all discussed ad nauseam for years. None of that tends to be catered for on a pristine model normally, the colour is decided through research and hopefully, the proper spec. docs., the 'early blue' was done to the same spec as all the other BR blue options that followed, so it should be the same, the only difference is the size of the yellow panels. Would it be possible to sort that please? I only ask because that's one of the ones I want to buy... 😀

Nonsense concluded. Thanks!

• Agree 4

• Rapido staff
1 hour ago, Benn said:

Very pleased (and along with everyone else, also not surprised!) to see the 45s and 46s enter the equation, these will be very useful for my existing and forthcoming modelling projects. Fantastic news, and they're looking excellent!

A couple of observations, if I may; 

Firstly, the 45s announced feature 12 models, of which 8 are named and one being a special, out of a class of 127 of which only 26 were actually named. Whilst I applaud the selection of liveries available, that leaves just 3 models left out of the 12 announced that can be used for renumbering, or for those of us who like 'the workhorse' rather than the celebs. This ratio seems a bit, well, off...
The Rapido webpage for the 45s shows a fantastic image of a fairly messy green small yellows D45 without a name, a fair representation of the majority of the class at the time, but there is no green small yellow panels model option that isn't named... That would be a perfect example to offer. Renumbering and adding a name is significantly easier than trying to remove one, they're almost impossible for most of us to remove without leaving a mess, I count myself within that number!
Would it be possible please @rapidoandy to either; not print the name on the bodyshells and include an etch nameplate for those who want to add it, or better still, add/change some of the offerings so that those of us who want to represent the majority of the class can get a non-namer in each livery, please?

Secondly, the image/description of D92 shows 'early blue', and a different shade has been used. This should be the same blue as all the other BR Blue locos, as it was done to the same 1965 BR spec. There are many reasons for differences in paint shades on all railway vehicles, not least due to variations in paint mixes, undercoat, weathering etc., and then there's the interpretation of that shade through photography decades later, which adds a whole new range of variables on top of that, film used, light, weather, development, and so on, all discussed ad nauseam for years. None of that tends to be catered for on a pristine model normally, the colour is decided through research and hopefully, the proper spec. docs., the 'early blue' was done to the same spec as all the other BR blue options that followed, so it should be the same, the only difference is the size of the yellow panels. Would it be possible to sort that please? I only ask because that's one of the ones I want to buy... 😀

Nonsense concluded. Thanks!

Thanks for the comments. Like another thread - there's room for further batches.

Regards the blue. We have spoken to various experts and not everyone agrees with you. In fact more sources we found said it was or could be different than others. Our project manager says:

"So this is a debate that we discussed earlier and there was no definitive answer. These were done at Toton as a quick job and the photos always look darker than the standard blue. I don't believe they were the same colour, more sources say they were different than the same and they were repainted when they got the full BR logos etc so I think the evidence points towards them being a different shade." 

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Steven B said:

+1 for plain vanilla unnamed versions.

Steven B

Ditto

I did ask earlier on in the thread are the names being printed on  only or printed on / etched plates or just etched plates?

Asking for a friend😜

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steven B said:

I'm not sure etched plates are needed for the 45s. Weren't a lot of the simply painted on?

I’m pretty sure all the unofficial later names were painted on but not the original regiment names with crests. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

I’m pretty sure all the unofficial later names were painted on but not the original regiment names with crests. 

There are also the oddities such as 45104. This was named and had a proper nameplate:

peter cheshire Flickr image

After losing this it gained a thin painted steel plate nameplate in 1986 of a very different design:

DBS 60110 Flickr image

Better as just or transfer or with a thin metal backing?

I think it has the same body details as 45106 so may be a possible future Rapido 45/1, although in its final in service condition it's hardly plain vanilla:

ee 20213 Flickr image

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 2