Saint Apolline.... a new life

le petit Français

The junction between the brown and the creamy white isn't very pretty to look at. I don't know how I could get a cleaner line between these two colours, knowing that the relief doesn't make my job any easier. Do you have any ideas on how to correct this?

Annotation 2024-09-30 120457.jpg

Edited by le petit Français
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Possibly a simple gold or black line, either a transfer or lining pen?

It's going to be a bit fiddly, I've had the same thing with Great Western carriages.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you, Mr Wolf. I was thinking like you and this evening I put a thin black strip 3 mm thick. Not easy to put on but I used a large magnifying glass ^^.
Here's the result in photos, it's better and I've added a little touch of gold on the cuffs.

IMG_20240930_183356.jpg

IMG_20240930_183406.jpg

IMG_20240930_183419.jpg

Originally, the outlines of the door windows were gold. I'm thinking of doing the outline of the door windows in dark red... 
But according to the photos, the colours are different. As someone who knows GWR passenger cars well, what colour are the window surrounds?
Thank you

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, le petit Français said:

....  Originally, the outlines of the door windows were gold. I'm thinking of doing the outline of the door windows in dark red... 
But according to the photos, the colours are different. As someone who knows GWR passenger cars well, what colour are the window surrounds?
Thank you

I find http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries.html useful for much GWR/GWR based information. Coaching livery did change over time, so the photos may be of different liveries/time periods. 

For a close up: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=fCxX7QUO&id=B97FB641F4C64A4BACC7ADB95B34775AADA4940C&thid=OIP.fCxX7QUOFggQHiif2_8-0gHaFl&mediaurl=https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/541ebef9e4b0e2c159721915/1457862699744-FGNUTKL9STRSM9HMK2T7/DSC_0026.JPG&q=Hornby collett coaches&ck=373710BA493F72762D93EF6CDB8AA4F0&idpp=rc&idpview=singleimage&form=rc2idp 

The thin black line you've added does help separate the brown and cream. Often on GWR coaches (as pictured in the link above) it's a black and yellow/gold double line. I have painted the lining on some full size coaches on steam railways - even then it is a fiddly, precise job. We have to use good paintbrushes and masking tape. ('Sword' brushes and good quality 'lining' tape but I don't know how well those terms will translate). 

I'd agree with Mr Wolf and suggest trying a lining pen if you can get them. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
clarity
  • Like 4

Initially I put in a thin strip of border. It's a self-adhesive strip that I painted gold. But when I put it on the passenger car, the gold faded. So I opted for black, which stayed on the thin strip.... I couldn't get a fine felt-tip pen between the hand-mountings and the edge of the windows. I'd have to find some in a shop.... 
For the colour of the window surrounds, I'm thinking of dark red for the 1880-1908 period.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thank you Mr Wolf. For small details to be painted, glued etc... I use a large magnifying glass hanging around my neck. This allows me to see in close-up and to have both hands free.
You can find them everywhere, in shops and on the web. Here's an example.

Annotation 2024-10-02 130549.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

They look good. The 'rivet counters' will be spluttering in protest but despite the foreign design, they are clearly GWR. And I think the painting is very precise. 

Are you going to put 'First', 'Third', 'Guard' and 'GWR'/'Shirtbutton' etc. transfers on? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

No I don't think I can put ‘First’, ‘Third’, ‘Guard’ and ‘GWR’/‘Shirt Button’ transfers because I couldn't find the decals. Also, I don't think I can put them on the passenger cars because I don't know where to put them....
Personally, I think the cars will stay as you see them in the photos. Maybe a small logo, but I don't know what to put.
Second series of passenger cars delivered by GWR. I'm going to look at the doors again and paint them cream around the windows.

IMG_20240929_233447.jpg

• Like 9

This is the second series of modern passenger cars in GWR livery. Personally, I'm not attracted to these passenger cars... My preference is for the first series with the side doors....
In the future, I'm thinking of buying GWR cars from Hornby. But for the moment, the supplier can't fulfil orders because of a fire in his shop. So I'll wait until the supplier is up and running before ordering two passenger coaches. Because I understand that the OO scale is identical to HO

IMG_20241013_165951.jpg

IMG_20241013_170000.jpg

IMG_20241013_170341.jpg

• Like 5

HO gauge is the same as as OO at 16.5mm, but the scale is slightly different.

OO models are 4mm=1ft (304.8mm) and HO models are 3.5mm=1ft.

HO is an accurate scale, whereas the track is a little narrower than scale in OO.

The problem came about because when HO first came about, the bulky motors of the time wouldn't fit in British outline locomotive models as the real thing was built to smaller dimensions than European and American locomotives, so compromises were made.

British OO coaches may look rather tall compared with continental HO coaches.

It might be worth comparing the dimensions of you're looking to buy British GWR cars.

This may not be so noticeable on early style or 4 wheel cars though so don't be put off.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

As someone who models in both 00 and H0 scales, there is a big difference between the two. I'll take photos of some vehicles next to each other so you can see for yourself, but I wont be able to do that until tomorrow, unfortunately.

I personally would not mix 00 and H0 together on the same layout ....

David C

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, David C said:

As someone who models in both 00 and H0 scales, there is a big difference between the two. I'll take photos of some vehicles next to each other so you can see for yourself, but I wont be able to do that until tomorrow, unfortunately.

I personally would not mix 00 and H0 together on the same layout ....

David C

That will be useful, I don't have anything HO to make a definite comparison with OO.

Hi:

Here are a few  photos of some of my 00 and H0 stock posed next to each other. Apologies for the quality - it is very cloudy here on the Costa del Ipswich and the late afternoon light in my garden is not very good. Nevertheless, they should illustrate the difference in scale.

IMG_2095.JPG.ac1fe86e71bacb530f1ad6a69610afc5.JPG

On  the left, a Hornby ex GWR brake destined for use on Woodstowe, but only after a respray and weathering. On the right, a Roco "blunderbus" weathered and in service on Weidenstein, my small slice of Bavaria. The prototype of the latter is higher and wider than that of the Hornby model. Next an aerial view showing how much wider the 00 model is (top) than the H0 one (bottom).

IMG_2087.JPG.995df060c36b10965862bcc13699a7ab.JPGIMG_2087.JPG.995df060c36b10965862bcc13699a7ab.JPG

Two of my favourite locos cab to cab. (Bachmann 45xx and Fleischmann 86 class)

IMG_2101.JPG.f891efcf6b0ff50239027995d075de63.JPG

The ex LMS van in the middle is a Cambrian kit sandwiched by a couple of DB vehicles, on the left an Oppeln type with the high roof and on the right, one of the famous G10 types with lower sides and roof.

Hope this helps.

David C

IMG_2099.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi again! 

Apologies for posting one photo twice and two of them with the wrong captions! The digital world does not follow the same logic that I do!!!

It does occur to me that if you are set on using 00 scale coaches, you could replace the wheels. British coaches run on 3 foot 6 inches diameter ones which in 1:76 scale is 14mm. H0 scale coach wheels are 10.5mm diameter. Using smaller wheels could reduce the difference in height. You would also need to narrow the gap between the buffers. 

Rather than buy Hornby models, you could try building a Ratio kit (obtainable from Peco). They are easy to build and adapt if you need to reduce the height and width to conform to the H0 loading gauge. They are cheap, too, so if you make a mistake (we all do!), it wont hurt your wallet too much!

All the best

David C

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning Many thanks for these explanations and the photos which clearly show the difference. I thought about changing the wheels but I'm afraid the bogies will touch the rails. My primary concern is that English passenger carriages are high on their bogies. Therefore, the platforms must be at the height of the doors. In France, the platforms of the past were low and passenger carriages had two levels of steps. So I'm going to be reasonable and I'm going to stay on the HO models and change the delivery of the models to the GWR version. Thanks again...

• Like 5