Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

House Number Plates

• RMweb Premium

An odd request! 

Does anyone know of a producer of house numberplates to put beside your frontdoor, done in the style of loco worksplates?

Plenty of outlets supplying oval plates, but not with border lettering.

Many thanks,

Dave.

4 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Look on ebay etc for a suitable railway cast iron bridge numberplate.

image.png.05347b044c690a142e182e8a1551de37.png

Brit15

As house numbers this type are far more legible from the road than most loco worksplates.

Often also seen at Quorn railwayana swapmeets or railwayana auctions.

I have mine mounted high up so that any potential thief with a screwdriver would also need a ladder!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had a replica bridge plate made for a previous property which was still there when I noticed the bungalow for sale some twenty years later, so the resin replicas are worth trying!

Replica bridge number signs

Similarly in my last place (currently for sale complete with model layout shed) the numbering of the bungalows had seemingly been selected by a bingo machine, so I managed to get an old lineside temporary speed limit sign reading "25" and displayed it in the porch window after having had a night doctor knock on my door looking for a neighbour one night.  Fortunately I knew where he was looking for but it prompted me to get a massive sign just in case and when looking for a sign found the TSR sign which is big enough to be read from the cab of an approaching train.  Never lost a delivery after that.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

My parents lived in Shirenewton (Monmouthshire) near the local stately home, after which the GWR named Hall Class no. 4967.  For many years one of the nameplates (perhaps a replica as the original would be worth about £4000) was displayed as an arch across the stone pillars of a pedestrian gateway to the big house.

I don't know whether the plate was stolen or just taken down, but the building has changed hands few times since then.  The smokebox number plate, a cabside number and the loco's whistles were sold for  few hundred pounds each a couple of months

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the info guys, I am following it up. 

I really like the idea of the bridge plates, but seems I can find any number except the one I want!

I'll keep you posted.

1 hour ago, DLT said:

Thanks for all the info guys, I am following it up. 

I really like the idea of the bridge plates, but seems I can find any number except the one I want!

I'll keep you posted.

Always the way.  But if you're not in a hurry you could put a watch on ebay.  Some railwayana auctions attract traders with a stand on a trestle table, and they often have such items.

If you're in the Midlands, there's a swapmeet (railwayana car boot sale) at Quorn & Woodhouse station on Sunday 15th.  And if you don't find what you want you can always take  ride on the train !

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I got my half-sized GWR brass numberplate from the 2857 Society, but they no longer offer the service.

However, 10 milliseconds of googling produces:

https://www.eightyone-e-repro.co.uk/shop-made-to-order

I bought a cast brass numberplate for our first house over 40 years ago. I think it cost about £15 and now adorns the railway shed door and is as good as new.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2024 at 21:59, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I used to live at 26A with my own front door. I never thought to get an old (reproduction) Newton Heath shedplate.

I live at 34. We've had two sheds built in the garden, one which will be my model railway shed, and another at the far end of the garden which is for all the garden paraphernalia. I've had a replica 34A shedplate for about 25 years so that now adorns the gardening shed i.e. Top Shed! I got a 34B made by Procast a few years ago and that is now attached to the other shed. 

Can't fault Procast, I've used them a couple of times and other people and societies I know have used them and have nothing but good things to say about them. I think it was about 5 weeks from ordering to the plate arriving, not quick but they let me know a few days before it arrived that it was done and about to be posted.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for Procast, we;ve had two signs from them and they cannot be faulted in any way.  For our current house we’ve had the road name where the railway company name would go with the house number in the centre.  Despite we still get lots of men in vans trying to deliver to the wrong street.

Used to live at No.16 and I put the old SR concrete "16" milepost from between Claygate & Oxshott (found broken off & recovered from the bottom of the embankment during my NR days) cemented into the ground at the end of the front drive - it's still there as far as I know.

• Like 1