There’s not enough froth…so let’s have some fun!

rapidoandy

5 hours ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Shall we increase the froth level a little bit? I recently interviewed @rapidoandy about the new announcements and while that video is obviously yet to be released, there is a little clip of it at the end of this video:

I wonder if anyone can correctly guess what we're talking about 🤔

Okay, so…

- There’s more than one.

- There’s been an incredibly quick turnaround.

- They had drawings.

Metropolitan coaches?

• Like 1

On the basis that each announcement could contain multiple items, I'm very much hoping for the Hawlsworth County as has been teased before and I've been frothing for everytime Rapido make an announcement. Alongside that some GWR mainline Coaching stock. Rapido have done several GWR wagons and the B set now, I reckon they'll be finishing off the GWR range with some mainline coaching stock to match the County

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So there are more announcements due?

Perhaps the train from The Magic Roundabout?

It's good to see so many people made so happy by this announcement, but is no one else slightly worried by the fact that it's pleased so many? What is this evident hole in peoples' lives that only Ivor can fill?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It's good to see so many people made so happy by this announcement, but is no one else slightly worried by the fact that it's pleased so many? What is this evident hole in peoples' lives that only Ivor can fill?

People who want to have fun? People who have nostalgia for nice simple things? People not wanting to obsess over every minute detail?

Many people get into model railways to recreate the railways of their youth. Well for me the railways of my youth were dirty, run down, and used a bunch of boring fume belching boxes.

What got me into a love of railway was watching things like Ivor the Engine, and now I get to model that. Happy days!

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Fair Oak Junction said:

People who want to have fun?

I like fun.

1 minute ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

People who have nostalgia for nice simple things?

That's me, I think most aspects of modern life are cr*p.

People not wanting to obsess over every minute detail?

Please refer yourself to my first remark.

2 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well for me the railways of my youth were dirty, run down, and used a bunch of boring fume belching boxes.

I can only just remember steam, most of my younger memories are of the BR corporate blue period. I like modelling dirty, run-down railways, I find it fascinating. It also ties in with my first remark.

3 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

What got me into a love of railway was watching things like Ivor the Engine

Too late for my formative years. But I do like all things by Peter Firmin, just in the right setting.

4 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Happy days!

If you say so. I'll be happier when my central heating is repaired.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I like fun.

I'm sure you do, but it doesn't exactly come across considering the things you've said about the Ivor range being done over various posts today 😉

A simple "not for me" post would surely have sufficed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

In summary, I feel that I've been 'had' by this Rapido announcement.

Yes, it was rather fun reading all the genuinely-meant, seriously-intended predictions and wish lists. I think that the overall tone of the 'frothing challenge' was to get us to put forward ideas for serious scale models from a company that has a good reputation for these things.

What we get instead is the opposite of that, but because most people seem to have a soft spot for Ivor, everyone feels obliged to jump on the bandwagon of congratulating Rapido and promising to buy one.

Running something like Ivor on a layout is the sort of thing that my operator helpers at shows in the past used to do, when I went for lunch or a walk around the show. I've never liked the practice and will simply walk on by an otherwise good layout, if the operators are indulging themselves in this fashion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A simple "not for me" post would surely have sufficed?

Nah, I rather like Scrouge.

I'm just surprised that no one else has seriously voiced any displeasure that all that hype has not contributed anything to the sum total of quality, scale models.

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

In summary, I feel that I've been 'had' by this Rapido announcement.

Yes, it was rather fun reading all the genuinely-meant, seriously-intended predictions and wish lists. I think that the overall tone of the 'frothing challenge' was to get us to put forward ideas for serious scale models from a company that has a good reputation for these things.

Ivor has featured fairly prominently in various wishlists in the past. So it's not at all unreasonable for someone to have predicted in the "more froth" thread that Rapido would do it (especially given that they have form for doing fictional locos). But, as far as I can tell, nobody did. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Again, very much NOT sounding like someone who enjoys fun to be fair.

And I'd hardly call it a bandwagon, more people genuinely happy to see something. Why is that so hard to understand?

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other people have to not like it as well.

9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

all that hype has not contributed anything to the sum total of quality, scale models.

And when exactly was this rule set down that all announcements have to be for "serious" models?

There have been plenty of announcements recently, all for what you would deem "quality, scale models" and once in a blue moon we get something fun. Shocker!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm just surprised that no one else has seriously voiced any displeasure that all that hype has not contributed anything to the sum total of quality, scale models.

We've got another announcement to come this week. I'm pretty sure that will contribute to the sum total of quality scale models. And I seem to recall that an announcement of some sort has been promised for Rapido Railex, as well. It's not like we're lacking in announcements of quality, scale models.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Ivor has featured fairly prominently in various wishlists in the past. So it's not at all unreasonable for someone to have predicted in the "more froth" thread that Rapido would do it

Fair enough, but I generally don't have the emotional energy to dwell for long on the wishlist thread, so all those people asking for Ivor, it's just passed me by.

And don't get me wrong, if this announcement has caused genuine happiness, then that is a good thing. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Again, very much NOT sounding like someone who enjoys fun to be fair.

And I'd hardly call it a bandwagon, more people genuinely happy to see something. Why is that so hard to understand?

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other people have to not like it as well.

And when exactly was this rule set down that all announcements have to be for "serious" models?

There have been plenty of announcements recently, all for what you would deem "quality, scale models" and once in a blue moon we get something fun. Shocker!

Oh dear, I don't think you've really 'got' where I'm coming from with all this.

You seem quite serious, in your defence of 'fun'....

Let's just say I'm a generally grumpy person, who's also having a bad day.

Live long and prosper!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Generally I'm one the least serious people out there, as many people who know me would attest 😄 (even if my humour doesn't always come across)

If you are having a bad day then I'm sorry about that, it's never nice having a bad day.

If anything today is the first good day I've had in quite a while, and that is largely thanks to this announcement so yes I may have got a bit defensive about the subject.

No announcement is going to please everyone as this is thankfully a hobby that attracts many people with many different interests.

But there will always be other announcements and sometimes those will cater to what we want, which is great! But the ones that don't can just pass us by.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Ivor is of absolutely no interest for me, and I could say it is a waste of development (and hence also of an announcement).

BUT, looking on the other side of the coin, think back to Thomas & Hornby. A great investment for them over the years, with smaller development costs (the models were "crude scale", and in their case largely consisted of existing items with little modification.

Now, transfer across to this Ivor. Another "crude scale" item, less development costs. An item that for some reason reaches the hearts of lots of us on here, and quite likely, also a lot of youngsters as well. So, it could well be a long term money-spinner, and also spread the name of Rapido much wider. Good for the brand name, and introducing youngsters to the hobby is no bad thing. It isn't "non-standard" like some of Hornby's attempts for juniors, it runs on normal track. I'm not privy to any knowledge, but I guess any licence fee would also be a lot less than Thomas too.

What's not to like about it, even if you are not an Ivor fan (like me)?

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 12