EFE T3

Kris

1 hour ago, LBSC123 said:

563:

563 was sent to Basingstoke in December 1939, used on local goods/van trains and station pilot.

On 4/6/40 it was recorded hauling 12 LNER corridor coaches through Basingstoke in conjunction with Dunkirk evacuation.

It visited Eastleigh works in June 1942 and afterwards was based there and used as station shunter, it was withdrawn in August 1945.

571:

Transferred to Basingstoke in May 1939, and used as station pilot and on van trains.

In July and August 1939 it was recorded on Glasgow-Southampton Docks Channel Island Boat train (which ran as a separate train in summer time) recorded as being 6 coaches both times. 

571 appeared to do little work outside of that and was noted out of use in 1940-1.

Transferred to Eastleigh in August 1941, used as shed or coal stage shunter but also noted a few odd ECS or van trains around Southamptom. 

Officially withdrawn May 1943 (but noted out of service in February 1943).

Source: 563LG archives. 

One interesting point about the "real" 563 is that when it was given a general repair in September 1935, it was painted in the normal SR livery except that it had LBSCR-type  numerals on the tender sides and rear (see photo on P135 of Bradley).  Also, after failing in March 1939 it was withdrawn and then re-instated.  According to Brradley, it was repaired painted unlined Maunsell green with Bullied lettering and returned to traffic in November 1939.  So here we have another possible livery variant. 

• Like 5

On 07/09/2024 at 12:20, Karl said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was as preserved in the main range and it's former preserved livery before restoration is a collectors club release. 

I certainly hope not as I don’t want to have to mess around with the collectors club to get a pre restored to operation version as came to Toronto if they do that livery.

Time will tell, though this new trend of announcing products and then making you wait months on specific details of liveries and sellers is not my favourite new thing in the hobby!

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One hopes there will be a version in as-built condition.

The video does say the tooling allows for as built. Or were you just wondering whether an as-built version would be in the first release?

Edited by Gordon Connell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gordon Connell said:

The video does say the tooling allows for as built. Or were you just wondering whether an as-built version would be in the first release?

I confess to not having watched the video. But yes, sooner rather than later! Although I don't think the class was used on Waterloo - Reading trains at any date.

• Like 2

Just now, Compound2632 said:

I confess to not having watched the video. But yes, sooner rather than later! Although I don't think the class was used on Waterloo - Reading trains at any date.

Yes, Waterloo-Reading was the first thing that went through my head as well, but I don't think they did either. Hoping that someone more informed will say that they did!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gordon Connell said:

Yes, Waterloo-Reading was the first thing that went through my head as well, but I don't think they did either. Hoping that someone more informed will say that they did!

I think we'd both like to know what did. Was it out of range for either of the 0-4-4T classes that have been done RTR?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think we'd both like to know what did. Was it out of range for either of the 0-4-4T classes that have been done RTR?

No. Bradley says that M7s 244/5/9/50, and 676-70 of the original series went new to Nine Elms for use on Guildford, Windsor and Reading services. Following a derailment near Tavistock in 1898, the Board of Trade Inspector opined that he wasn't happy with such a design running at higher speeds (the derailment happened at 50-55!), and the whole class was subsequently restricted to suburban services and more gentle rural branches. Thus they came to dominate LSWR suburban services more than Drummond had planned, relegating O2s, 0415s and T1s. 

I infer from this that they were in regular use on the Windsor Lines, including Reading services.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

M7

Thanks - a little disappointing - had hoped for some of the smaller 4-4-0s or the Adams tank engines - but no doubt no more than I should have been expecting. On the other hand, one of my fantasy layouts is Loddon Bridge / Earley in 1898 - i.e. SER rather than SECR - so from what you quote, M7s need not be dominant on the South Western trains.

• Like 2

Further to my ealier comment re the obvious join in the models Chimney on the T3.

There is a "Joint" in the actual Locos Chimney . Photos from today at the Swanage Railway.

IMG_7362.jpeg.c0aba8e5fa153a7e400ece2be6743e55.jpegIMG_7363.jpeg.c118323c943fb3f37bfd162d2d70d71a.jpegIMG_7364.jpeg.ad7a9e3c8bb16fc9cb7cade5478e0b0e.jpegIMG_7365.jpeg.242f7edfc9046ed17307f9486fc8e71e.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, micklner said:

Further to my ealier comment re the obvoius join in the models Chimney on the T3.

There is a "Joint" in the actual Locos Chimney . Photos from today at the Swanage Railway.

IMG_7362.jpeg.c0aba8e5fa153a7e400ece2be6743e55.jpegIMG_7363.jpeg.c118323c943fb3f37bfd162d2d70d71a.jpegIMG_7364.jpeg.ad7a9e3c8bb16fc9cb7cade5478e0b0e.jpegIMG_7365.jpeg.242f7edfc9046ed17307f9486fc8e71e.jpeg

Looking at your photos (thanks), I can also understand the concern raised by @pete_mcfarlane about that "smack you in the face" join in the splashers.  I'm sure someone has agonized over that and come up with the solution as shown in the model. 

Pants!

Edited by Tim Dubya
nice sandwich
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, sjgardiner said:

Time will tell, though this new trend of announcing products and then making you wait months on specific details of liveries and sellers is not my favourite new thing in the hobby!

Well Bachmann had for the past few years limited announcements to just items due in the next 3 months. But a lot people complained that it did not give them enough time to save up and buy them (and shops may have equally said it was difficult for them to estimate demand too).

So now we know a T3 is coming, in November we'll have details of liveries and prices and them we can save the pennies for one we like....

(also there are a lot of SR locos coming too, the O1, the E1, the K class, the T3 maybe a U in couple of weeks time....)

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2024 at 08:59, Compound2632 said:

Here's a Reading shed bash page for you -

The South Eastern 4-4-0s were the ones usually seen at Reading rather than the South Western ones in later years, and of course the arrival of the electrics must have brought lots of changes.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2017/08/reading-south-1935-1964.html

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Looking at your photos (thanks), I can also understand the concern raised by @pete_mcfarlane about that "smack you in the face" join in the splashers.  I'm sure someone has agonized over that and come up with the solution as shown in the model. 

Pants!

But as has been pointed out above it is an EP - something produced specifically to check the fit of parts (among a few other things).   So it is a 'warts an' all' model at this stage of development.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

But as has been pointed out above it is an EP - something produced specifically to check the fit of parts (among a few other things).   So it is a 'warts an' all' model at this stage of development.

I certainly hope so. Mind you, having had a T3 at the top of my ‘most desired locomotive’ list for a number of years, it could come complete with a giraffe that pops up from the tender (Triang fashion) and I wouldn’t mind!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Here's a Reading shed bash page for you -

The South Eastern 4-4-0s were the ones usually seen at Reading rather than the South Western ones in later years, and of course the arrival of the electrics must have brought lots of changes.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2017/08/reading-south-1935-1964.html

Thanks - but that starts 37 years after the period of interest! 

I read the Bradley books a very long time ago. I recall it being said in the SER volume that a couple of the Cudworth 2-4-0s were used on the Ash - Aldershot shuttle, so I expect he had things to say on both SER and LSWR classes working into Reading at the end of the 19th century. On the SER front, one really couldn't go wrong with an F and an O. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks - but that starts 37 years after the period of interest! 

I read the Bradley books a very long time ago. I recall it being said in the SER volume that a couple of the Cudworth 2-4-0s were used on the Ash - Aldershot shuttle, so I expect he had things to say on both SER and LSWR classes working into Reading at the end of the 19th century. On the SER front, one really couldn't go wrong with an F and an O. 

In 1898, the T3s were less than a decade old, so would have still been active on the LSWR main lines, though decreasingly on the very best trains as Drummond 4-4-0s gradually grew in number.

Drummond had only taken over from Adams in 1895, and the first of the renowned T9's was still a year away. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

In 1898, the T3s were less than a decade old, so would have still been active on the LSWR main lines, though decreasingly on the very best trains as Drummond 4-4-0s gradually grew in number.

Drummond had only taken over from Adams in 1895, and the first of the renowned T9's was still a year away. 

Yes, indeed, hence my earlier comment that they weren't suitable for my Loddon Bridge to Earley fantasy layout, which led into the digression as to what LSWR engines would be. Going full circle! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oh yes absolutely Mike.  I don't know enough about the construction of the real things let alone the complexities of shrinking it down 76 times.  It's difficult to know why it's been done like it at this stage, I guess because of the (no doubt) exquisite cab detail.  As you say, warts and all.  I suspect even left as is, once decorated it won't notice as such harsh a join 🤞

I've been expecting this announcement for a couple of months now so a couple, or many more, won't hurt us.  It's too early for me to have on the daily roster, but like "that 7F" I got off that @Not Jeremy bloke, it may well make appearances on the occasional special.

Top stuff 👍

Edited by Tim Dubya
the 522 to Bristol via Radvegas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

For all those looking for rolling stock to go with their T3s, RAILS are selling off the LSWR cross-country coach sets in all versions (including LSWR livery, as per the EFE video) at reduced prices, NOW

Wonderful. I bought two sets of cross-country sets in LSWR livery at the full price, less 10%, when they came out but at least they have been running on my layout with various LSWR locomotives since then. I also bought an LSWR cross country set in British Railways maroon livery with a view to repainting it in LSWR livery but I never got round to doing it and now I don't need to.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit gutted now that I paid full price when the XC sets came out, but I'm a firm believer in putting yer money where yer mouth is.

LSWR Corridors (Panelled & Ironclads) next please.

Does anyone want to buy my spare liver?

Edited by Tim Dubya
Coffee with oat milk
  • Like 3