EFE T3

Kris

Many sale offers ares full of BR black locos but rarely have pre grouping locos in them.

Having noted EFE Rail not been covered by the Collectors Club to date wonder if there in a change coming given this was announced at a Collectors Club event. Also that they have opened up club models for anyone to buy albeit at a higher price,

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I was at Swanage Station yesterday but I missed seeing Graham Muz.  

As the T3  is an EFE Rail product and not a Bachmann product I assume that 563 will not be issued as an exclusive issue for the Bachmann Collectors Club.

Sorry to have missed you, I assume you were not there as part of the Collectors Club, as during the morning I made the product announcement to five separate groups of the Club Members, and partly again to camera for the Swanage Railways own socials. I was on the platform at Swanage during the whole club event, so was either taking a quick break or speaking away from the Bachmann stand to members or invited guests! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Not sure about that joint in the middle of the splasher. That's going to be hard to hide. 

Perhaps better if the join was above the rear beading curve, it would add a extra bit of weight above the rear drivers as well. However no idea what is in the cab area at that point.

I do not like the join in the Chimney, a one piece chimney would be much better design in plastic and cut a tiny amount of weight at the front.

Fall plate is a strange shape?.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is it to clear the handbrake stand on the tender?

Probably , but there is also another obstruction on the other side as well. It also look very deep . Never seen another r.t.r with a similar shape. Normally they are a straight across design to allow for sharp curves. Perhaps it will come with two designs .

• Like 1

On 07/09/2024 at 15:25, Nova Scotian said:

diecast boiler + running plate, but cab floor too to get the balance and haulage right

This use of appropriate technique for putting the mass where it needs to be for adequate traction, on what have long time been regarded as 'difficult' steam locomotive layouts is good news: another design shop joining Bachmann, Hornby and Rapido with this approach makes very welcome reading. Hopefully it will quickly diffuse yet more widely among the other brands.

Side note: I am somewhat surprised that there hasn't been much in the way of expressed demand for such technique to be quickly applied to reputedly popular subjects such as 14xx, M7, Midland Spinners, Dean singles, and the like; my own fingers crossed for a competent 'Gladstone' in time.

• Like 4

This does look tasty - a class that I have always admired!  563 or 571 in late 1930s Southern Rly condition for me please!  The gap between the cab/splasher and the footplate is unsightly and I hope they manage to address that and the gap in the Drummond chimney is unsightly - especially as the real thing was a single casting!  But its certainly most interesting and shows promise.

Gerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Fall plate is a strange shape?.

I'd suggest producing it accurate to prototype, and advise purchasers to trim it for functionality as required, once assessed on the layout.

Surely others have done this with their models? My own tinkerings to get RTR OO loco and tender close coupled to scale - or as near scale as possible - combined with the (near inevitable for most of us) underscale curve radii, have led to all sorts of 'adjustments' to the shapes of fall plates resting on the tender step to avoid fouling, while retaining as much of the appearance as possible of the floor necessary for the crew.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I model current day but will pick up one of these if done  as the current 'As Preserved' livery which as others have said, is a no brainer certainty. 

Graham did mention that they would be on general release, but a Sound Fitted version would be exclusive to Kernow Model Railways.

There was no mention about them being limited editions and or club exclusives.

IMG20240907145022.jpg.36e3cc25e6b0d7fe74e69d753d9bf71e.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I'd suggest producing it accurate to prototype, and advise purchasers to trim it for functionality as required, once assessed on the layout.

Can you imagine the badly spelled howls of protest on Facebook if people had to do work to get their expensive new loco round set track curves?

(But obviously not as loud as if the evil people at Hornby made you do....)

Possibly better to supply it with the ability to go round sharp curves, and a scale spare that can be fitted by the more skilled. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Possibly better to supply it with the ability to go round sharp curves, and a scale spare that can be fitted by the more skilled. 

Typically tackled by supplying the model with an overlong loco to tender coupling, not that I don't like the idea of a scale substitute fall plate...

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks, how does a diamond work at night ?

For instance 

Southampton Docks & Nine Elms (Market Goods, Fruit or Potato Trains), via Main Line.
Waterloo & Twickenham via Kensington & Hounslow.

(Two discs) 

and

Brentford & Wimbledon via Chertsey.
Basingstoke & Alton.
(Two diamonds)

are both using the same lamp positions… indeed via Chertsey and Twickenham could be confusing !

Did they have diamond and round lenses ?

At night the circular head signals were white lamps and the diamond head signals were green lamps .  After 1911 only circular discs and white lamps were used.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 08/09/2024 at 13:43, Butler Henderson said:

Having noted EFE Rail not been covered by the Collectors Club to date wonder if there in a change coming given this was announced at a Collectors Club event. Also that they have opened up club models for anyone to buy albeit at a higher price,

The club versions tend to be more for liveries that are very nice but unlikely to make lots of sales on a general release. The grey SECR C, The MLV in post office red and Linda in Blue spring to mind.

The two top spots are bound to be 563 as she is today and 563 as she was in the 1950s.  While 568 was pictured at Eastleigh in 1925,  with Drummond boiler and LSWR livery.... 

• Like 2

From an academic point of view, it would be interesting to know how much actual work these last two survivors actually did before formal withdrawal, some locomotives post war lurked around Eastleigh in a sort of limbo, neither used, nor officially stored, or actually withdrawn.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Obadiah said:

From an academic point of view, it would be interesting to know how much actual work these last two survivors actually did before formal withdrawal, some locomotives post war lurked around Eastleigh in a sort of limbo, neither used, nor officially stored, or actually withdrawn.

Probably somewhere between very little and none at all.....  

Mine will join a few other "preserved" models for occasional sessions when my layout gets run as a heritage line for variety...

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

Just now, Dunsignalling said:

Probably somewhere between very little and none at all.....  

563:

563 was sent to Basingstoke in December 1939, used on local goods/van trains and station pilot.

On 4/6/40 it was recorded hauling 12 LNER corridor coaches through Basingstoke in conjunction with Dunkirk evacuation.

It visited Eastleigh works in June 1942 and afterwards was based there and used as station shunter, it was withdrawn in August 1945.

571:

Transferred to Basingstoke in May 1939, and used as station pilot and on van trains.

In July and August 1939 it was recorded on Glasgow-Southampton Docks Channel Island Boat train (which ran as a separate train in summer time) recorded as being 6 coaches both times. 

571 appeared to do little work outside of that and was noted out of use in 1940-1.

Transferred to Eastleigh in August 1941, used as shed or coal stage shunter but also noted a few odd ECS or van trains around Southamptom. 

Officially withdrawn May 1943 (but noted out of service in February 1943).

Source: 563LG archives. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1