EFE T3

Kris

29 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I hope that 563 as preserved will be available in the normal EFE range and not as a Bachmann Collectors Club exclusive limited edition

It wouldn't surprise me if it was as preserved in the main range and it's former preserved livery before restoration is a collectors club release. 

Fantastic announcement of a very elegant engine that also tells us Bachmann haven't turned their back on 00 steam. 

I'll be having one.

Fingers crossed for more pregrouping elegant 4-4-0 too! (Particularly D40)

Edited by Karl
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

How long did these last in traffic?

My usual pattern for buying locos is early and late crest as I like to have a pair 👍

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

All withdrawn in SR days so no authentic BR early or late crest

It's worth pointing out that 563 was kept in its restored (but non-operational) LSWR condition by the Southern Region until the early 60s. So there are photos of it (and the Terrier Boxhill) at various Southern sheds. 

• Like 4

Well then, colour me surprised. I was seriously considering getting the OO Kit just a few days ago but held out hope someone would do it. Low and behold, EFE/Bachmann just announced it and now I just have to hope they'll announce 563 in one of the two preservation liveries it's carried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Marlin said:

A welcome and very interesting announcement. 

What other locomotives have been available rtr that didn't survive until BR days? Not many, I'll wager (off the top of my head, I can't think of any [aside, obviously, from the truly antiquarian pioneering designs, like Lion and Rocket]; I look forward to being corrected).

I'm also curious about the cylinder/bogie arrangement: that looks just awkward enough for a model going round 2nd radius curves...

There have been a few in recent years- I can think of the Bachmann/Rails of Sheffield LNWR 2-4-0, Rapido's forthcoming Jones Goods  and Bachmann's GWR City as classes withdrawn before WW2 - but certainly not many. Most of the growth in pre-grouping loco releases have generally been those classes that survived well into the BR era.

I don't think the T3 is a great surprise- Given the amount of media and enthusiast attention 563 has had since the return to steam, I suspect someone was always going to do one soon er or later.  I can certainly see the LSWR-liveried version as preserved being a good seller for EFE- I've got absolutely no need for one, but it's such a pretty thing, it's very tempting...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Karl said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was as preserved in the main range and it's former preserved livery before restoration is a collectors club release. 

Has there been an EFE Rail model released as a Bachmann Collectors Club model? I don’t think so - they have all been made by Kader. Although there is EFE membership of the Club, that seems to cover EFE Road buses/commercial vehicles which are also produced by Kader.

So I suspect, being manufactured by someone else, the G3 will not appear as a Club model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Livery choices off the top of my head would be (LSWR) Adams Green (as per 563), Drummond Green, Urie Green, SR Green (post 1923) and Wartime Black. I am sure this is not the full list of options available though. 

I would need to double check my Southern Style, but I don't think they ended up in Wartime Black. They were put into unlined olive just before/around the outbreak of the war and I believe they remained in that condition due to not being overhauled again. I don't have my book to hand though so cannot confirm.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

20 locomotives built at Nine Elms in 1892/93. 
Primary withdrawal was between 1930-36. The final 3 were kept on during WWII as a strategic reserve before ultimately being withdrawn in 1943-45. 563 is the sole survivor of the class and the only member of the class to see the end of the war.

The start of the 1943 scrapping’s matches the overcoming of the U-boats in the Battle of the Atlantic, enabling greater import of more powerful and modern US made locomotives such as the S160.

As allied shipping suffered heavy losses in the first half of the war, many of the locomotives sent by the US never reached Britain and required all serviceable old locomotives to be kept as a national strategic reserve. 

Livery choices off the top of my head would be (LSWR) Adams Green (as per 563), Drummond Green, Urie Green, SR Green (post 1923) and Wartime Black. I am sure this is not the full list of options available though. 

Neither 571 or 563 that survived past 1939 gained wartime black livery. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

How long did these last in traffic?

My usual pattern for buying locos is early and late crest as I like to have a pair 👍

Top stuff, I could feel it in my water that this was happening and I suppose the LSWR Corridor stock will be announced in November, I mean it's going to need something to pull, right?

Very happy bunny here!

Fortunately they were not only used for passenger traffic in later years. Vans were quite common and also goods. Even coal according to Bradley. For passenger stock I guess the 4 coach cross country stock by EFE could fit the bill. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Has there been an EFE Rail model released as a Bachmann Collectors Club model?

No

EFE Rail, as opposed to EFE Road, gets no coverage in the Collectors Club magazine and the last came with usual small size exhibition leaflets except one of them was the EFE Rail releases whereas previously at least its been a magazine sized leaflet for EFE Rail that has been included.

• Like 1

Brilliant News and really glad to see detailed variants and not just the preserved version tooled.

Of course the question is not so much "will they do the preserved version?" as that's a no brainer. The question is will they produce enough of the preserved example?

I'm pretty certain that the 563 one will outsell the rest combined! Although that loco might be sold in 2 variants, namely as per today and as she was in the 1950s visiting various sheds in a cosmetic state.

The rest of the class can only be as per LSWR and SR days (less popular than preserved or steam ear BR). And I've noticed that Kernow and EFE tend to do more SR livery versions (looking at there LSWR vans and LBSC opens for example) then pre-grouping or BR (there are LSWR diagrams of the van I would love in LSWR livery or BR but only out there in SR).

But hopefully, we'll have most of the detailed types in LSWR so that I can have 563 and another in LSWR livery with opposing details (different boilers, chimney etc).

Definitely 563 will be in sound and stay alive fitted for me. John from Youchoos does great sound jobs and I've been very happy with his service and sound chips.  

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Black Marlin said:

What other locomotives have been available rtr that didn't survive until BR days? Not many, I'll wager (off the top of my head, I can't think of any [aside, obviously, from the truly antiquarian pioneering designs, like Lion and Rocket]; I look forward to being corrected).

FWIW the Bachmann/Rails/NRM Precedent class never appeared in BR but is preserved and in RTR.

• Agree 2

I think It's always a welcome move when a manufacturer decides to do something that didn't last into BR in the face of "they'll never make x because it didn't last to BR and will limit sales potential" type comments, Which I always like to turn around and say well two companies have made 9Fs and they can ONLY wear BR livery, limiting sales potential, so...? 🤔

Anyway, I digress, the T3 is a beautiful design, a potential rule 1 for my collection as I'm presuming they didn't venture much along the Sussex coast? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Has there been an EFE Rail model released as a Bachmann Collectors Club model? I don’t think so - they have all been made by Kader. Although there is EFE membership of the Club, that seems to cover EFE Road buses/commercial vehicles which are also produced by Kader.

So I suspect, being manufactured by someone else, the G3 will not appear as a Club model.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

• Like 1

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and returning to the hobby after many years. I’ve read a number of these LSWR threads but this is the first new one I’ve seen actually start 😊

Super excited, but I need to ask the question that always comes sooner or later. Did the T3 operate on the North Cornwall line?

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Keith Milton said:

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and returning to the hobby after many years. I’ve read a number of these LSWR threads but this is the first new one I’ve seen actually start 😊

Super excited, but I need to ask the question that always comes sooner or later. Did the T3 operate on the North Cornwall line?

Keith

Like others I am thrilled by this announcement.
As far as N Cornwall I start the other way around. During the 40 plus years of the active life of these 20 Locos cameras were not that numerous and film was not cheap. And documentation was neither that detailed nor has it been preserved to any great extent (particularly in the 19th century). What we do know is that they were most active on the LSWR former tracks. Nor was there any route restriction there which might have barred the T3s. So it would not seem unreasonable to assume that at least one of the class operated on the North Cornwall line in their  working lifetime.  So whilst not necessarily proven that they did, it isn't proven that they didn't 😉

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Barry,

Yes, that makes good sense. No mention of them in them in An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway but there were plenty of other 4-4-0s, plus the 563 Locomotive Group blog says some were allocated to Exmouth. 

So, the real issue here is not location but period. I’m mid 50s to mid 60s so a bit of a stretch to go pre-BR, plus this doesn’t strike me as the kind of model I would want to weather! That leaves two options, preservation (like the much photographed LSWR T9) or Rule One. 

• Like 1

There is not much detail about T3s working on the Swanage Railway either before preservation and I have not seen any photographs. According to page231 in the chapter about motive power and rolling stock in Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B. L. Jackson T3s were noted as working on the branch. A number of Adams and Drummond tender locomotives worked the Swanage Branch particularly with through trains from Waterloo and troop trains.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

IF it is within your power, could you get EFE/Bachmann to list the appropriate dates for each livery/version that they announce.

( Likewise, on your blog. )

Thanks.

I always endeavour to include such additional information on my Blog and will be doing so when the liveries are announced.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5