EFE T3

Kris

• RMweb Premium

What a superb, but not very surprising announcement! As soon as the 563 restoration began I knew someone would probably end up doing one in RTR.

Choices choices. 563 as restored, or one in SR/wartime condition? Shame both isn't an option 😄

• Like 2

• Kris changed the title to EFE T3
  • RMweb Premium

No liveries announced yet, have to wait for the winter announcements at the start of November for that. I would hope that 563 as preserved will be among them, as that's the only one I'm interested in. Must be a pretty certain bet though. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

How long did these last in traffic?

My usual pattern for buying locos is early and late crest as I like to have a pair 👍

Top stuff, I could feel it in my water that this was happening and I suppose the LSWR Corridor stock will be announced in November, I mean it's going to need something to pull, right?

Very happy bunny here!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Butler Henderson said:

All withdrawn in SR days so no authentic BR early or late crest

Yes, I should have watched the video first, nevermind.  I might just have one for that occasional "special" all the same.

• Like 1

Well, I’ve been waiting for this since 2011 when 563 was our guest in Toronto. It’s obviously not HO Scale like the rest of the the models of the Toronto Railway Museum collection I’ve made over the years, but I’ll definitely be having this. Was waiting to see who wound up being the manufacturer to bring it to market once the restoration commenced.

Cheers,

Stephen Gardiner

Toronto, ON, Canada

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Bachmann/EFE (and others involved) on this popular announcement.

Within The Results of The 00 Wishlist Poll, the loco was Middle Polling in 2015 and 2016. The Poll didn't run in 2017 but the class reached High Polling in 2018.

It went higher in 2019 and higher still in 2022 - the last Poll to run before we run again near Christmas this year - and was only three votes outside The Top 50.

We wish the project every success.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This looks brilliant - the different tooling variations to include suspension types visible through the wheels, the splashers in the detail pack - and not just diecast boiler + running plate, but cab floor too to get the balanced and haulage right are all very impressive.

@Graham_Muz and others involved should be commended.

I don't want to take away from the announcement - so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask - I'm trying to understand the branding differentiation between EFE and Bachmann. The booster was also EFE - does it reflect a greater outside involvement? The announcement in 2020 centered around re-runs of previous models, with later descriptions (and clearly brand new products) including "designed and manufactured outside Bachmann", so it's just the distribution? The T3 is clearly a well designed, highly detailed, high specification product.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I'm trying to understand the branding differentiation between EFE and Bachmann. The booster was also EFE - does it reflect a greater outside involvement?

Grahams link above explains it,

”I have developed these models in my role with Kernow Model Rail Centre for the Bachmann EFE Rail brand,  ”

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Basically EFE is a way for other manufacturers to access Bachmann’s sales and distribution network. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Grahams link above explains it,

”I have developed these models in my role with Kernow Model Rail Centre for the Bachmann EFE Rail brand,  ”

Basically EFE is a way for other manufacturers to access Bachmann’s sales and promotion network. 

Thank you - I'm sorry, not sure how I missed seeing the link.

• Like 1

A welcome and very interesting announcement. 

What other locomotives have been available rtr that didn't survive until BR days? Not many, I'll wager (off the top of my head, I can't think of any [aside, obviously, from the truly antiquarian pioneering designs, like Lion and Rocket]; I look forward to being corrected).

I'm also curious about the cylinder/bogie arrangement: that looks just awkward enough for a model going round 2nd radius curves...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

How long did these last in traffic?

My usual pattern for buying locos is early and late crest as I like to have a pair 👍

Top stuff, I could feel it in my water that this was happening and I suppose the LSWR Corridor stock will be announced in November, I mean it's going to need something to pull, right?

Very happy bunny here!

20 locomotives built at Nine Elms in 1892/93. 
Primary withdrawal was between 1930-36. The final 3 were kept on during WWII as a strategic reserve before ultimately being withdrawn in 1943-45. 563 is the sole survivor of the class and the only member of the class to see the end of the war.

The start of the 1943 scrapping’s matches the overcoming of the U-boats in the Battle of the Atlantic, enabling greater import of more powerful and modern US made locomotives such as the S160.

As allied shipping suffered heavy losses in the first half of the war, many of the locomotives sent by the US never reached Britain and required all serviceable old locomotives to be kept as a national strategic reserve. 

Livery choices off the top of my head would be (LSWR) Adams Green (as per 563), Drummond Green, Urie Green, SR Green (post 1923) and Wartime Black. I am sure this is not the full list of options available though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

No liveries announced yet, have to wait for the winter announcements at the start of November for that. I would hope that 563 as preserved will be among them, as that's the only one I'm interested in. Must be a pretty certain bet though. 

I hope that 563 as preserved will be available in the normal EFE range and not as a Bachmann Collectors Club exclusive limited edition

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky enough to be at Swanage to hear Graham make the announcement this morning. the engineering sample looks and feels very impressive. Even the tender is a heavy item. Graham and co ( and the team out in China) have obviously put a great deal of effort into this project and I wish it every success. The original locomotive looks absolutely magnificent and this model does too. really looking forward to November to see which liveries will be produced next year. Congratulations to Kernow for bringing this delightful model to the market, I am sure it will be a great success. 

all the best 
Godfrey

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1