Bigger boxes?

• RMweb Premium

After a long while concentrating on my garage full of layout 'Northern Town' I'm ready to start a side project, a new Belgian layout. While I don't have acres of space to play with I do have more width than one of those wrapping paper boxes would give me. So a question for the collective knowledge and wisdom here; are bigger boxes available? It may be that I build my own plywood crate but if possible I'd like to make things easy for myself.

Many thanks.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

White Furze do a range of boxes and one is slightly bigger than a wrapping paper box but can't recall the dimensions.  The Christmas tree box by Really Useful seems a monster compared to the wrapping box size but then I've grown to love the smaller size.  Good Luck.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

White Furze do a range of boxes and one is slightly bigger than a wrapping paper box but can't recall the dimensions.....

According to the Hobbycraft website -

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/whitefurze-allstore-27-litre-clear-wrapping-paper-storage-box/6605411000.html?glCountry=GB&store=34&gad_source=1&gclsrc=ds

- the internal dimensions of the Whitefurze 27 litre (wrapping paper) box are these.

"Internal dimensions: 76.8 x 23.5 x 15cm (30.2 x 9.3 x 5.9 inches)"

CP

• Like 1

On 07/09/2024 at 17:06, Night Train said:

The christmas tree box is a decent size for a layout.

I  have also found these boxes, but they a a lot more expensive, although very well made.

https://www.trifibre.co.uk/product/christmas-tree-storage-box-container-case/

Really nice looking boxes there - thanks for that link @Night Train- I was unaware of these.
That larger Christmas tree box really is quite a decent size :) 

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Yes the 2 larger ones are a decent size. I would use them upside down. The layout lives in the "lid" and the box body is used to cover the layout for transport. If you ask nicely and explain you want to use it that way, they will fit the handles to the lid in the correct orientation, so no danger of the layout falling out when moving it.

Edited by Night Train
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3