BBC NightSleeper

Damo666

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The frustrating thing is if this was about a different subject - say road vehicles - the producers and writers would make sure they got details correct. It really just feels as if they havnt bothered. 

Anything you name whether it be road, air or sea transport that they make a 'thriller' about has more often or not bloopers that are easily spotted by those in the know. Even some none transport stories such as hospital dramas are likely to have factual errors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If was a Tans Pennine Set, would that be the same?

P

I doubt it, they're 25KV only, 5 car sets, not even (apparently) multiple unit.

But we're supposed to suspend disbelief for the duration...

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Anything you name whether it be road, air or sea transport that they make a 'thriller' about has more often or not bloopers that are easily spotted by those in the know.

The laughable anti-inertia of Tom Hanks in 'Cast Away' perhaps the funniest ever. Plane flying cockpit end leading (credit where due, at least they got that right) dives into sea, Hanks magically flies backwards along the fuselage. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

One thing I noticed, the young boy on the train, In the first episode his 'mother' said he was four years old. He is very well developed for a four year old.

I must admit the number twelve springs in mind regarding the age she said he was, but perhaps that was her way of getting someone look for her son more sharpish - they’re less likely to hang around looking for a four year old than an eleven/twelve year old…

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2024 at 11:13, Damo666 said:

I do wonder about the set’s health and safety coordinators having actors running on the top of carriages with OHLE.

I’ve enhanced the following screenshots for clarity as it’s a dark scene.

Screenshot2024-09-03110156.jpg.8fe369c0596334b36897aa2e3d880a72.jpg

Screenshot2024-09-03105926.jpg.9f78d3aa190ed22fbbfa95dab01a3cc0.jpg

Have no fear Damo. The risk assessments for TV productions are very thorough these days (they weren't always!) and no way would an actor be anywhere near live OHLE under any circumstances or on the roof of a moving train unless some very elaborate precautions had been taken. It all got very serious after the 1986 death of Michael Lush in a stunt for the Late Late Breakfast Show. Following that we had compulsory Hazard Assesment training and had to carry out a formal assessment for every film or studio programme we were directing, however apparently innocuous.  It's amazing how many real risks you identify when you really start thinking seriously about it. The training  did actually involve analysing a sequence in which  someone did run along the roof of a moving train. It was done perfectly safely but certainly didn't look like it on screen. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been pondering what Decoder is used in the Class 94?

I've also remembered a thread on RMW about how yoofs can operate others' Layouts through their Mobile Devices (by arrangement), even from the other side of the World.

I have little idea how this is achieved as my Train Set is clockwork, but have seen Layout Operators hunched over Computers at exhibitions with their 'modern era layout' and not Standing chatting with Cup of something in one hand, whilst casually fiddling with a Power Cab or DC handheld device in the other.

They are relying on the frantic activity of a couple of enslaved lower beings flinging things around in the huge Fiddle Yard.

Perhaps the Writer/ producer of this most excellent Drama, is an enthusiast and  DCC Guru that has worked in GCHQ and has seen the future? 

Spooky eh?

Loada Bollox

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Liam said:

I must admit the number twelve springs in mind regarding the age she said he was, but perhaps that was her way of getting someone look for her son more sharpish - they’re less likely to hang around looking for a four year old than an eleven/twelve year old…

I watched episode 4 last night and it was clearly stated that the lad was 11 years old.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Well given that through hacking into somebodies pagers can cause 9000 of them to explode , maybe taking over a train is not too implausible . However as someone else has pointed out , all you need is a few balloons or a trampoline and a bit of wind and you could disable the Overhead Electric. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Legend said:

Well given that through hacking into somebodies pagers can cause 9000 of them to explode , maybe taking over a train is not too implausible . However as someone else has pointed out , all you need is a few balloons or a trampoline and a bit of wind and you could disable the Overhead Electric. 

Farmers 'uge Plassi Sacks are often the culprits along the ECML. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Legend said:

Without wishing to suggest anything silly, something dangled from a Bridge could easily smash the Panto. 

P

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Without wishing to suggest anything silly, something dangled from a Bridge could easily smash the Panto. 

P

True, but the loco has been declared bi-mode so would just switch to diesel power.

steve

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/09/2024 at 16:31, PhilJ W said:

They seem to have all of the disaster movie stock characters. The hero out of favour with his superiors, the PITA politician, the 'lost' child, the lady in a wheelchair and a few others on the train. And off the train the computer internet expert that the head of the department doesn't want but the only person who can sort it out..

I haven't watched it yet but I will be disappointed if there aren't also a pair of nuns. All 70s disaster movies seem to have a pair of nuns along with the other 'stock' characters 🙂

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, andyman7 said:

I haven't watched it yet but I will be disappointed if there aren't also a pair of nuns. All 70s disaster movies seem to have a pair of nuns along with the other 'stock' characters 🙂

No they haven't, perhaps they couldn't find any. 

• Funny 1

On 16/09/2024 at 16:31, PhilJ W said:

They seem to have all of the disaster movie stock characters. The hero out of favour with his superiors, the PITA politician, the 'lost' child, the lady in a wheelchair and a few others on the train. And off the train the computer internet expert that the head of the department doesn't want but the only person who can sort it out..

You're surely not suggesting that this very serious drama series has anything at all in common with a run of the mill disaster movie 😁.

Question. If a long train like this did go at full speed into the buffers at Euston or King's Cross, how survivable would it be for the passengers if they'd been in the last coach?  I seem to remember that in the 1988 Gare de Lyon disaster most if not all the fatalities were in the front coaches of the stationary train as, in the short time leading up to the crash, passengers in the runaway train had moved back down the train.   Clearly a train crash is far more survivable than a plane crash but how much more? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Question. If a long train like this did go at full speed into the buffers at Euston or King's Cross, how survivable would it be for the passengers if they'd been in the last coach?  I seem to remember that in the 1988 Gare de Lyon disaster most if not all the fatalities were in the front coaches of the stationary train as, in the short time leading up to the crash, passengers in the runaway train had moved back down the train.   Clearly a train crash is far more survivable than a plane crash but how much more? 

Could a train travelling at full speed even get to the buffers of Euston or King's Cross?  Maybe at a fair lick over the speed limit with some very rough riding through the pointwork but I imagine there would come a speed which would see the train derail before it got to the end of the line.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

This effectively killed off the disaster movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane!

Airplane was technically a remake of the 1957 lowish  budget "Zero Hour"  (which the writers bought the remake rights for) with the same plot and many of the same lines. According to Wiki, the writers,  Jerry Zucker, Jim Abrahams, and David Zucker, who were used to writing comedy, used Zero Hour's plot structure because they had never written a feature film before, so weren't sure how to structure one. The scripts for Both Zero Hour and Airport were written by Arthur Hailey who had originally written the teleplay for the live 1956 Canadian TV drama Flight into Danger that Zero Hour was based on.  

A fun fact I hadn't known about Airplane was that, after auditioning and rejecting several voice actors for the red zone, white zone skit at the beginning, they found and used the married couple who had recorded the actual kerbside announcements for LAX. If Airplane was a serious film turned into comedy is Night Sleeper something of the reverse from Silver Streak?  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, steve1 said:

True, but the loco has been declared bi-mode so would just switch to diesel power.

steve

True.  However, has the 'new Driver' programmed for that? If it's anything like the 800 sets then it would have run out of Fuel before it reached London.

Alternatively you take out the Loco's Fuel Tanks with a Missile from a Drone or one of those naughty Typhoons from Norfolk. (Getting into the alternative Scrip now...). Massive.

Lord Dowding.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Watched episode 3 last night.

Now I know why I don’t trust DCC to run my layout.

steve 😁

That's why this scenario is so simple. Just two wires don't you know.

Mr Chips.

• Funny 2