BBC NightSleeper

Damo666

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Having said that, I think it was half way through episode 2 that I reckon I guessed the biggest plot twist of all

Is that the bit where the hero posts "How do I fix this train?" on RMweb, and the internet slows to a crawl due to the number of replies? 😁

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14

Just now, Phil Parker said:

Is that the bit where the hero posts "How do I fix this train?" on RMweb, and the internet slows to a crawl due to the number of replies? 😁

Made worse, the hero doesn't see the solution as the thread went off topic and ended up discussion how expensive modelling had become, then someone mentioned TT120 from Accurascale and the thread was filled with people wishlisting individual locomotive numbers/liveries/front end/louvres variations ad nauseum.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2024 at 16:13, Stuart A said:

Strange you should mention Mission Impossible...

Helicopter in the Channel Tunnel with TGVs anyone?

I thought the Channel Tunnel had single tracks in both tunnels?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neil said:

Three questions:

Is the train electric? Could they not just turn the overhead off? Can you tell I couldn't be arsed to watch it last night?

If they could hack the entire system I should imagine they could  easily prevent anyone turning off the power. Unless they can find someone in a Michelin Man rubber suit with a length of cable to earth the OHLE.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

They seem to have all of the disaster movie stock characters. The hero out of favour with his superiors, the PITA politician, the 'lost' child, the lady in a wheelchair and a few others on the train. And off the train the computer internet expert that the head of the department doesn't want but the only person who can sort it out..

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Someone mentioned on another thread that the train seemed to be to big (out of gauge) for the UK system and I thought the interior looked too American and what with in some shots the train was running wrong track? Perhaps that indicates the target audience.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Three questions:

Is the train electric? Could they not just turn the overhead off? Can you tell I couldn't be arsed to watch it last night?

One of the characters mentioned that the loco was a Bi-mode, and was designed to switch automatically to diesel if the 25 kV was cut.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If they could hack the entire system I should imagine they could  easily prevent anyone turning off the power. Unless they can find someone in a Michelin Man rubber suit with a length of cable to earth the OHLE.

I mean, if balloons and tarps getting caught in the overhead are good enough to bring it down I don't think it's that hard if you really really wanted to.  A bit more costly than doing it properly sure.

Of course, any sensible, or even insensible idea to stop a runaway train that could be thought up here wouldn't be dramatic or last minute enough for the people making the show.  How many runaway train movies have them stopping the train at the first attempt with relative ease before it gets dangerous?

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, bimble said:

6 minutes ago, bimble said:

Of course, any sensible, or even insensible idea to stop a runaway train that could be thought up here wouldn't be dramatic or last minute enough for the people making the show.  How many runaway train movies have them stopping the train at the first attempt with relative ease before it gets dangerous?

In the case of Nightsleepder stopping the train early could have happened, even within the plot that developed. The search for the code and hacker, along with back stories of the main protagonists could have made up four of the episodes, but we would have nothing to talk about here if that had occurred.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They seem to have all of the disaster movie stock characters. The hero out of favour with his superiors, the PITA politician, the 'lost' child, the lady in a wheelchair and a few others on the train. And off the train the computer internet expert that the head of the department doesn't want but the only person who can sort it out..

I was disappointed that the kid didn't need insulin.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

One of the characters mentioned that the loco was a Bi-mode, and was designed to switch automatically to diesel if the 25 kV was cut.....

One of the characters mentioned that the loco was a Bi-mode, and was designed to couple both male to male and male to female.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Leaving aside anything that happened as part of the plot, was I the only one who thought that it was yet another drama series where the cast were prone to mumbling (for no good reason) rather than speaking their lines clearly ?

Adrian

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I thought I'd interrupt this thread to say I re-watched The General last night. Utterly unbelievable. Great fun.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I watched 'The Train' for the 323rd time. Utterly fake throughout. Didn't even use British equipment and Jenny Agutter wasn't in it I've just realised.

Ar$£

The tracklaying scene from The Wrong Trousers is totally unrealistic. Must remember to start a thread about how unbelievable it is…

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

The tracklaying scene from The Wrong Trousers is totally unrealistic. Must remember to start a thread about how unbelievable it is…

There's a fair few of us who would love a box of Peco flexitrack that behaved like that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

It’s only identifying as a locomotive 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The frustrating thing is if this was about a different subject - say road vehicles - the producers and writers would make sure they got details correct. It really just feels as if they havnt bothered. 

• Like 1