BBC NightSleeper

Damo666

Just watched the BBC trailer for a new drama called Nightsleeper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0jh028t/nightsleeper-trailer-nightsleeper?at_mid=UFaOecbdpR&at_audience_id=SS&at_product=iplayer&at_brand=p00b0hg9&at_ptr_type=media&at_format=image&at_objective=consumption&at_link_title=BBC_Trailers_Nightsleeper_Pre_Promo&at_bbc_team=BBC

I can be quite forgiving when it comes to TV / Movie productions, but I do like there to be some semblance of reality.

I do wonder about the set’s health and safety coordinators having actors running on the top of carriages with OHLE.

I’ve enhanced the following screenshots for clarity as it’s a dark scene.

Screenshot2024-09-03110156.jpg.8fe369c0596334b36897aa2e3d880a72.jpg

Screenshot2024-09-03105926.jpg.9f78d3aa190ed22fbbfa95dab01a3cc0.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if this dates back to the government paranoia years ago where the concept of a "suicide train" was mooted? At the time I put it down to the politicians hating railways and being desperate to lump trains in with the far more likely idea of terrorists using road vehicles.

15 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

I do wonder about the set’s health and safety coordinators having actors running on the top of carriages with OHLE.

Fear not, I'm sure it was all properly assessed, and unlikely to have taken place on a live railway. Or even a real one, I smell CGI.

13 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

And speaking of the same programme, do we have this track arrangement anywhere in the UK?

Cae Pawb - where the Welsh Highland Railway crosses the line.

Let's be honest, this is going to be rubbish. I'm already looking forward to moderating the howls of frustration from RMwebbers horrified that a TV programme involving railways isn't an Open University documentary...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Fear not, I'm sure it was all properly assessed, and unlikely to have taken place on a live railway. Or even a real one, I smell CGI.

It downplays the hazards of overhead live wires, though, which seems rather irresponsible to broadcast. At least, I imagine it downplays them; if instead it shows a bright flash and a charred body then full marks for bringing the risks home, but I for one would find it very unpleasant viewing.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Amazing how they’ve got the catenary wires to curve between the gantries…

Must have used Sommerfeldt masts with the larger 0.7mm wire in short sections between each mast… 😅

22 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Not 90 degrees but there is Newark Flat Crossing.

I was also going to suggest Newark, though the track layout in that particular shot from the TV series does look very American (in contrast to the fairly British-looking train in the first picture). Maybe that particular track layout is needed to facilitate a plot point? Are we sure it’s meant to be set in the UK?

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It downplays the hazards of overhead live wires, though, which seems rather irresponsible to broadcast. At least, I imagine it downplays them; if instead it shows a bright flash and a charred body then full marks for bringing the risks home, but I for one would find it very unpleasant viewing.

It's a drama, not a public safety information film.

Do you think fans of Mission Impossible throw themselves out of the back of aircraft and free fall onto skyscrapers.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Walking along the top of a moving train is pretty dangerous too, wires or no wires. Trouble is that if you want action, then the stars need to appear to take a risk. It is drama after all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's a drama, not a public safety information film.

I sort of see what @Jeremy Cumberland means but given that it’s a drama/thriller I doubt that it’s going to be portrayed as a non-hazardous situation. If anything the danger (in general) might even be over-emphasised for dramatic effect.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I sort of see what @Jeremy Cumberland means but given that it’s a drama/thriller I doubt that it’s going to be portrayed as a non-hazardous situation. If anything the danger (in general) might even be over-emphasised for dramatic effect.

I'm tempted to say "hair-raising" (Static electricity joke) 😆

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Any action film involving a train will have the protaginists on the roof and down the side of the train at some point, there will be tunnels, bridges and any other object the director can think of for them to jump over, duck under or have to avoid - it's standard practice, almost a cliche.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

So to get my head around this - a sleeper train - typically a slow moving object that takes much longer than it needs to get to a destination has been updated to be a tilting express unit that looks like a cross between a Lumo IEP with a Mk3/4 DVT and Pendolino Tilt.

Is this still between London and Scotland and what happens on the WHL or up to Inverness when the wires run out? 

Do we have a BBC budget version of 24 here - but our version is 4 because that's how long a tilting express sleeper would take going to Glasgow.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Look out for the sequel - Attack of the killer gronk.

"Oh no, it's after us! How will we get away other than by walking at a moderate pace 90 degrees to the track?"

"How have they hacked the TOPS computer? Where did they find all those punched cards to input the code?" (Tell me that's more far-fetched than implanting a virus in an alien spaceship)

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

what happens on the WHL or up to Inverness when the wires run out? 

They thought bi-modal would tick a box.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It downplays the hazards of overhead live wires, though, which seems rather irresponsible to broadcast.

Perhaps they should make viewers watch "Robbie" or "The Finishing Line" before they get hooked on the new drama.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Any action film involving a train will have the protaginists on the roof and down the side of the train at some point, there will be tunnels, bridges and any other object the director can think of for them to jump over, duck under or have to avoid - it's standard practice, almost a cliche.

I wonder if they will add any emphasis for the presence of 25 kV. Illustrating its effect with an expendable cast member (in a red shirt?) might serve to highlight both the danger and the daring of whoever it is on the roof of the train.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Steven B said:

Perhaps they should make viewers watch "Robbie" or "The Finishing Line" before they get hooked on the new drama.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Robbie. Do I have to watch it? I'd rather not watch The Finishing Line again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I wonder if this dates back to the government paranoia years ago where the concept of a "suicide train" was mooted? At the time I put it down to the politicians hating railways and being desperate to lump trains in with the far more likely idea of terrorists using road vehicles.

Cae Pawb - where the Welsh Highland Railway crosses the line.

Let's be honest, this is going to be rubbish. I'm already looking forward to moderating the howls of frustration from RMwebbers horrified that a TV programme involving railways isn't an Open University documentary...

Indeed. Seeing various crew setting up scenes in our quaint street in Twickenham over the years (2x Christmas ads for Sky, 'A Street Cat named Bob 2', Paddy Power Ad, John Cleese 'Hold the Sunset' etc) I've seen the H&S volumes for just the simplist of settings on a normal retail street. I never imagined that this would be done for real, after all, it's not like Tom Cruise is starring!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I saw the trailer this evening and was thinking of raising it on RMWeb as a topic for discussion.

I'm glad I didn't!

Given this shot  that Damo666 posted

Screenshot2024-09-03110156.jpg.8fe369c0596334b36897aa2e3d880a72.jpg.15e134c26ff09f4d96642b259cdca670.jpg

Is it just me, or is there a reason for the train to be running wrong-line?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Amazing how they’ve got the catenary wires to curve between the gantries…

IMG_0762.jpeg.f5768ba701501f7397f391b3b86048d0.jpeg

Not 90 degrees but there is Newark Flat Crossing.

Newark Flat Crossing

Cheers

Darius

The staff probably all live south of the river so assume OHLE behaves in the same way as 3rd rail

• Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm not sure how many will see this on Instagram, but those pre-CGI days weren't much better!

Plenty of Big-Big action here.

As a 9 year old I probably believed this more than an adult watching NightSleeper.

• Like 1