Enamel over acrylic.

• RMweb Premium

I've just painted some STYNYLREZ water based polyurethane primer on to a Ratio kit and then realised that the only colour I have that I want is Enamel from Floquil. Stupid mistake, but the Floquil stuff is brilliant paint that's no longer available. Living where I do, it's a pain and expensive to get modelling paints.

The question is, can I put the Floquil on this primer?

• RMweb Premium

Provided that the Floqpuil really is just ‚bog standard enamelwith no strange additives it shouldn‘t be a problem. i regularly use Stynylrez as my primer for Humbrol,Revell & Railmatch enamals.No paint has fallen off yet!😉

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

Provided that the Floqpuil really is just ‚bog standard enamel with no strange additives it shouldn‘t be a problem.

Strange? ISTR Floquil contained Xylene.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

You could try painting a test piece, just to be on the safe side, better than ruining a model.

While I was waiting I did try it on a piece of styrene and I looked this morning and it's OK. Now to see how Humbrol matt enamel varnish goes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I tried the Humbrol enamel matt varnish and it was rubbish. Being in Australia where there's not so many modellers, I reckon the can that I bought recently was probably all ready old.

Because it ended up being not matt enough, I might try a little talcum powder in it. Fingers crossed.

• RMweb Premium

Having copied the link showing what you can and cant do, i proceeded to spray acrylic varnish over an enamel wagon yesterday and it reacted. Fortunately it was such a light coat it sanded back easily and a wash of topcoat was enough to get me back to where I was and I used humbrol enamel varnish instead (which shows every tiny blip).

I have to say if i could get transfers to work well on matt i wouldn't ever go anywhere near varnish

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Klear, was the go to option for varnish, but unfortunately it's no longer available. Others have come up with alternatives, but I can't remember what they are and what the results are like.

Lakeland Quick Shine has been stated to be the same thing.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, peterm1 said:

But I wanted a matt finish. The Floquil dried to a low enough sheen to make it acceptable; for me anyway.

they were answering my point about decent gloss for transfers.

but I need matt, or less shiny, after that so will try your Floquil

Edited by Hal Nail