A coach curiosity - any ideas?

TT3

I picked these up today in a job lot of US stock. I saw LNER teak in the photo and thought oh, some bog standard Hornby 70s vintage so didnt take a close look till I went through everything else.

Edit: probably should add they are 4mm scale.

They are certainly home built but the sides are a printed acetate and a pretty good effort at that with the teak effect. It reminded me of the old N scale farish printed sides although these are far more convincing.

The brake 3rd seems to be a cut and shut of two sets of sheets. Underframes, bogies are brass with proper spring buffers but the bogie sides are cast metal. Roofs and probably the ends and floors look made of styrene sheet and getting life expired as is going brittle so any sypathetic restoration will be a challenge even if it is just to get the tings to sit straight on the track.

IMG20240901182716.jpg

IMG20240901182729.jpg

IMG20240901182738.jpg

Edited by TT3
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TT3 said:

I picked these up today in a job lot of US stock. I saw LNER teak in the photo and thought oh, some bog standard Hornby 70s vintage so didnt take a close look till I went through everything else.

They are certainly home built but the sides are a printed acetate and a pretty good effort at that with the teak effect. It reminded me of the old N scale farish printed sides although these are far more convincing.

The brake 3rd seems to be a cut and shut of two sets of sheets. Underframes, bogies are brass with proper spring buffers but the bogie sides are cast metal. Roofs and probably the ends and floors look made of styrene sheet and getting life expired as is going brittle so any sypathetic restoration will be a challenge even if it is just to get the tings to sit straight on the track.

IMG20240901182716.jpg

IMG20240901182729.jpg

IMG20240901182738.jpg

PC kits?

John Isherwood.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

They may be PC Models.  They developed a range of printed acetate coach sides and sold them as kits.  They started around the late 1960's, but the range had disappeared by the early 1980's.

They look like nice models, good luck with the restoration.

Thanks guys, looks like mystery solved, now to decide if they can be revived for next to no money and what to do with them after. Probably need find something suitable to go on the front probably a nice green dublo N2 or a green Triang B12.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TT3 said:

Have no idea they are but the Buffet is actually pretty nice if it was in blue grey it would be perfect.

Would it be perfect though? The Hornby blue/grey Gresley Buffet wasn't perfect as it didn't reflect the significant modifications BR carried out to the 'kitchen' side.

Perfect for me anyway as all that's left of my collection of 4mm coaches are blue/grey mk1 and mk2s, teak would be a little odd.

I did find an almost finished GBL K3 motorising project in LNER black that would go pretty well with the rake.

We used to sell these PC Models Gresleys, at the King's Cross model shop (MRM) in the 1970s, they used to come in flat white boxes, with blue lettering. They were popular in their day, but these and similar kits like Mopok, died out when all-etched-brass kits appeared on the scene, although some modellers added the new brass sides to upgrade these, instead of the rather flat acetate printed sides, although some PC kits did latterly have some etched parts. PC produced similar kits for other regions, plus their own coach and wagon wheels, the final coach kit production came in flat clear vacuum packs. When these were phased out, PC (Peter Chatham or Peter Chappel?) concentrated on their range of transfers, which eventually became HMRS transfers.

Cheers, Brian. 

• Informative/Useful 3