Wheel sets for contact springs on shank

Lima had this system, Its what I use but with metal bogies picking up through the pin points for zero added resistance 

Next best pick up is like Lima diesels pick up strip runs on the axle not the wheel. Pickups on the wheels themselves make good brakes 

There are others but rare and I have no idea which make (Bachmann probably) though there must be a dozen various sizes of single insulated  in my scrap box.  

Most fine scale wheels are insulated both sides, I have de insulated one of the pair of Jackson wheels by placing one or two strands of fine electric wire through and round the bush so the wire is against both axle and wheel and.   Trimmed nicely the trick has worked for many years.  Also works on Airfix / etc driving wheels but between axle and plastic wheel and between wheel and tyre  If done neatly.  Some of mine have survived 30 pus years 

1 hour ago, Colinrev said:

Where can I get 14mm metal wheel sets with insulation on only 1 wheel?

Hornby's wheelsets used on their Pullman cars with lighting are  live axle, don't know whether these are sold as spares.

Bachmann have history in split axle wheel sets, and s/h 14mm are worth looking out for.

Now, latterly they are using these for pick up off pinpoints to supply carriage lighting, which is the ideal method, as already remarked on above. They definitely sell bogies with the pinpoint pick up gear installed, and TTBOMK these are the most free running RTR OO product available as a result. Caveat: can be embarassing as you discover your level track isn't...

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/156/thompson-coach-bogies-with-pickups-(x2)/36-006b

Although traditionally thought to be insulated on both sides, recent supplies of Hornby's R8218 disc wheelsets have been confirmed to be insulated only on one side.  In the absence of any positive evidence, it has to be assumed that the other 14.1mm wheelset packs R8234 (4-hole) and R8264 (2-hole) remain double-insulated.  The X9096 Pullman wheelsets pack has not been available for some long time.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Peter's Spares has wheels available that are live to one axle - see these here .

Also I think the Hornby R8264 wheels are also live to one side, as all my Maunsell coaches have these wheels.  Best to ask Peter's Spares if this is so. 

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 1