Gresley Restaurant Cars

I need to replicate the kind of Gresley Restaurant car used on the Inverness-Wick trains in the 1950's. Isinglass have produced kits of two types, but their diagram details seem at odds with similar cars in my 'Historic Carriage Drawings' book by Jenkinson & Campling. I have tried to ask Steve Banks via his website, but what on earth is Mallard's serial, you are required to fill in at the end of your query?? Can anyone help here?  

Bucoops, Isinglass are basing their kit on D.167, but the drawings in my Jenkinson/Campling book, do not - disappointingly - give diagram numbers. So I am a bit lost here, albeit Steve Banks' website do give a few examples. 

According to Clive Carter, in ‘LNER Buffet Cars’ in the January 1995 issue of Backtrack, the mid-morning Inverness-Wick train in the 1950s was rostered to carry a buffet car to Helmsdale, and photographs show SC23750 on this duty.  This was a former NER open third that had been converted to a buffet car in the 1930s.

Mr Carter’s article on LNER restaurant cars in the May 1997 issue of the same magazine makes no mention of the Inverness-Wick service as far as I can see.

D

45 minutes ago, MacDuff999 said:

Bucoops, Isinglass are basing their kit on D.167, but the drawings in my Jenkinson/Campling book, do not - disappointingly - give diagram numbers. ...

Campling quotes the Diagram number as 167 in his 1997 Pendragon revision of the 'LNER and Constituents' Historic Carriage Drawings.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

Bucoops, Isinglass are basing their kit on D.167, but the drawings in my Jenkinson/Campling book, do not - disappointingly - give diagram numbers. So I am a bit lost here, albeit Steve Banks' website do give a few examples. 

Ok thank you - I suspected something wasn't quite right as you mentioned restaurant car initially, but D167 is as you rightly say, a buffet. 

As Darryl says, it could well be a converted pre-grouping design.

On checking their website again, Isinglass D167 kit is described as a buffet/restaurant car. They also do  a restaurant 1st open to D.3 4 262. and a restaurant (5-bay) 1st and unclassed to D.11. The photo (from a Highland Railway Society publication) I am basing my train consist on describes the second vehicle from the loco as a 'restaurant' car (you can tell it is a Gresley design). And as stated in the 'Backtrack' article mentioned in an earlier post. the catering car came off the Wick train at Helmsdale. So it is a bit difficult really to decide which diagram would be the right one from all the producers' kits available. I suppose I could play it safe, and go for the Isinglass D.167 buffet/restaurant anyway.