A weekend with the Welshpool and Llanfair railway

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

This weekend six of us from the Mid Hants Railway paid a visit to the Welshpool and Llanfair railway. We help crew their trains for the weekend, their crews then come and visit us and drive and fire our engines.

We arrived at Llanfair Caereinion at about 6pm on Friday when we were shown to our rooms in the hostel and given a welcoming cup of tea or six. Had a look round, it was a perfect evening after the earlier rain. We then adjourned to the town and after a couple of hours in both the Black and the Red Lion we had got to know our hosts a whole lot better, and they us.

Saturday morning arrived much too early when it was over to the shed to prepare our engines for the days work.

post-6683-127952802283_thumb.jpg

post-6683-127952804864_thumb.jpg

The Earl and Countess were our machines for the day, my trip was to be driving Countess so I had a few practice chuffs up and down the yard to get used to it.

post-6683-127952818475_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to have the vintage train for my trip, it is absolutely beautiful - it's almost a shame to let people inside it.

post-6683-127952828168_thumb.jpg

post-6683-127952831359_thumb.jpg

We crossed the other train, I think it was at Castle Caereinion, with The Earl at it's head.

post-6683-127952861138_thumb.jpg

When we weren't out on a trip we had this little fellow to play with:

post-6683-12795286865_thumb.jpg

Although they run a purely steam service they have a few strange dismals around the place, here's an example.

post-6683-127952878734_thumb.jpg

On the Saturday evening they ran a train for staff, friends and supporters which had a (very popular) beer car in it's make up. We had a trip to Welshpool, 4 on and a sheep wagon which had the barbeque implements on board. This was dropped off at, I believe, Sylfaen, mandraulically shunted into the loop, after which we then continued on to Welshpool. A swift pint in one of the pubs in the town while Countess also quenched her thirst, then it was a chug back to the barbeque site where the food was ready (and very welcome)

The distant views from here were amazing, apparently on a clear day Snowdon can be seen, at times the shafts of sunlight piercing angry looking clouds were biblical in their intensity. When the barbie was over, we packed the stuff in the sheep wagon, manually shunted it back onto the train and had a trundle back to Llanfair in the dark.

Sunday came, I had another trip, this time driving The Earl, I found it to be a totally different engine to Countess, which I prefer. Much heavier train this time, two Hungarian bogie coaches plus two Austrian 4 wheelers, all quite full with people. This made the Earl grunt a bit, especially up gradients as steep as 1 in 22. Then it was wash up and head for home, leaving at 4pm.

A wonderful weekend full of friendship, banter, driving steam engines, good food and the odd beer or three. A fabulous railway run by very warm, welcoming people - who could ask for more?

I visited the railway earlier this year - and was also really taken by the original locos and really interesting history. It was a lovely visit - though the ride isn't great with wooden seats! The view and the sounds and smells of the railway make up for that though. I think we were pulled by The Earl, in black. I love the look of Countess in GW green - and wish I'd had the chance to ride on the vintage rebuilt coaches - which I believe were built new in the last few years by the Ffestiniog workshops at Boston Lodge?

Thanks for sharing your visit, memories and lovely photos - it's brought back happy memories :)

• RMweb Gold

I visited the railway earlier this year - and was also really taken by the original locos and really interesting history. It was a lovely visit - though the ride isn't great with wooden seats! The view and the sounds and smells of the railway make up for that though. I think we were pulled by The Earl, in black. I love the look of Countess in GW green - and wish I'd had the chance to ride on the vintage rebuilt coaches - which I believe were built new in the last few years by the Ffestiniog workshops at Boston Lodge?

Thanks for sharing your visit, memories and lovely photos - it's brought back happy memories :)

That's correct - apparently a third one is currently being built for the railway. The workmanship on them has to be seen to be believed - quite simply, stunning.

• RMweb Gold

Having first ridden the W&L when it was a bit shorter, about 40 years ago, I think the same feeling came over me when I last rode it during Foot & Mouth in 2001 - it has a unique country atmosphere. The scenery is lovely and rural, rather than stunning in the FR/WHR mould, and it seems kind of redolent of how every branchline in the land must have felt in the '30s. I see the W&L as less glamorous than the more famous narrow-gauge lines to the North and West - but it deserves to be sampled as it really has a feeling all its own. That Phil and mates had a good time just tells you the people running it are probably less avaricious and jealous in their approach than certain other NG railways we might name, but those delicious coaches indicate they have all the right ideas.

Hopefully Phil's warm remarks will get a few more people visiting and I promise you will not be disappointed.

I see the W&L as less glamorous than the more famous narrow-gauge lines to the North and West - but it deserves to be sampled as it really has a feeling all its own.

I'm puzzled how the other lines can ever be glamorous! But I do agree on your latter point! I really love the W&L - always been a favourtie of mine :) We we were 'working' in Wales I made sure we stopped on the way! :D

It seems the least the least Welsh of the welsh narrow guage lines though, if you know what I mean. I suspect this is because it was a rural common carrier.

• RMweb Gold

At the rate the W&L are going all the foreign coaches are going to be surplus soon laugh.gif What a superb effort raising the funds to rebuild the missing bits of original stock. Thanks for the photos and video.

While you are in the thrall of the W&L have you seen Accucraft UK's 16mm / G scale models of the coaches and there's live steam versions of the Earl & Countess with electric versions following soon. wink.gif

oh and if that's too big see Dorset Kits O16.5 versions (these I have to declare an interest as they are made by a friend)

post-6968-127956009183.jpg post-6968-127956010374.jpg

post-6968-127956011609.jpg

Temptation awaits . . . . . . laugh.gif

Fabulous stuff !!:- Many thanks to all-this line is on the list for our Honeymoon tour of Wales-stopped in there before a while back-Dougal was still Maroon and both the Beyer-Peacocks were on static duty--Drefaldwyn was the days loco-chased the train from Welshpool and got some nice pix at Castell Caereinion-a real country branch line groove-looks like that station has been `developed` -ended up at Llanfair -some very disturbing pix of me on the cab of `Countess`looking like Sonny Barger with extra beard........

It was noted above that this line hardly seems `Welsh`:- well,it is in the long disputed Marcher lands ....and as a common carrier line it was always different to the single industry `classic` Welsh N/G line

My lasting memory is of having a chat & a smoke with the loco crew at Llanfair-they were breaking up coal-with a stick,Polish lignite-so soft it had wormholes in it-almost impossible to raise steam with-poss. the slowest release fuel in the world-but cheaper than buying anthracite from Tower colliery..........What can you do......

Anyway :-looking forward to the visit

ATB

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's a beautiful line, one that I never tire of visiting. I can't quite put my finger on how it manages to retain the aura of a quiet country branchline of days gone by, but it does it magnificently. The Earl and Countess are beautiful and the reproduction/replica Pickering coaches absolutely drop dead gorgeous; but the atmosphere remains undiminished when services are in the hands of stock from the continent and further flung parts.

Their autumn gala is only a month away, well worth a visit if previous years are anything to go by.

• RMweb Gold

The third Pickering coach has been delivered and looks superb. Subject to acceptance trials this should be running at the gala too. To me this will make the vintage train, with 'Countess' at it's head, one of the most attractive trains running anywhere in the UK today.

And I don't normally wax lyrical about flippin' trains.....

Thanks for the story and pics Phil H - a great weekend for you.

My first memory of the W&L was the early 1970s and I visited the line a couple of times as a teenager. This may have had an unconscious link to my fascination with Austrian narrow gauge. standing on a balcony watching the sleepers flash under the coupling as you rattle along.

Must admit those replica Pickering cars look absolutely delightful, and with Chevalier on the front they're sure to bring back images of the Cambeltown & Machrinhanish.

• RMweb Gold

The third Pickering coach has been delivered and looks superb. Subject to acceptance trials this should be running at the gala too. To me this will make the vintage train, with 'Countess' at it's head, one of the most attractive trains running anywhere in the UK today.

And I don't normally wax lyrical about flippin' trains.....

Clicking on your link, and then scrolling down through many news items, was a most enjoyable experience - thanks, Phil. The W&L is obviously extremely healthy in all respects, including a lot of young keen volunteers, quality track renewals, and smashing locos & rolling stock. Once Deb is a bit more mobile (and can fend for herself indoors)I intend to make a UK trip, and getting to the W&L is higher and higher on my list of "must-do" places after looking through this thread.

Clicking on your link, and then scrolling down through many news items, was a most enjoyable experience - thanks, Phil. The W&L is obviously extremely healthy in all respects, including a lot of young keen volunteers, quality track renewals, and smashing locos & rolling stock. Once Deb is a bit more mobile (and can fend for herself indoors)I intend to make a UK trip, and getting to the W&L is higher and higher on my list of "must-do" places after looking through this thread.

Thats good Ian. Perhaps, depending on where you are staying in the UK, you could arrange a small RMwebbers community day trip. I'm sure a handful of RMwebbers would enjoy a day trip to Llanfair. I'd be happy to tag along if commitments allowed.

• 2 months later...

It so turned out that I paid a visit to the W&LLR some years ago, while working on a pipeline in mid-Wales. A very pleasing day out, reminded me very much of a piece I found in a collection somewhere, one of those 1930s pieces whereby the author 'finds' a railway while driving about in his Riley sports car.. I think the L&MVR, from memory. Very satisfactory, the ride is perhaps the least impressive part of the proceedings but it was all part of the fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil -

Just joined RMWeb and was pleased to see your thread about the W&L and how we survived your visit! It's good to hear that you all enjoyed it - we certainly did too. If you remember, I fired to you on your return trip on the Saturday. Quite a different style of driving to our usual guys, but I s'pose that's the 'mainline' influence. I still chuckle over when you asked Brian 'Tearaway' Tucker (your W&L minder on the footplate) what the line speed was as we came into Golfa :D. Happy days, hopefully to be repeated in future years :)

Patrick

(The guy in the light cap in your 2nd image)

• RMweb Gold

Phil -

Just joined RMWeb and was pleased to see your thread about the W&L and how we survived your visit! It's good to hear that you all enjoyed it - we certainly did too. If you remember, I fired to you on your return trip on the Saturday. Quite a different style of driving to our usual guys, but I s'pose that's the 'mainline' influence. I still chuckle over when you asked Brian 'Tearaway' Tucker (your W&L minder on the footplate) what the line speed was as we came into Golfa :D. Happy days, hopefully to be repeated in future years :)

Patrick

(The guy in the light cap in your 2nd image)

Ah Patrick, good to see you on here. It really was a cracking weekend, odd snippets still come to mind and give me a chuckle. I hope you enjoy being on RMWeb, it's a real broad church and a good place to be.

What are you modelling? (I don't mean the Y fronts....)

Archived